Local giant found dead...

WNY Bowhunter

there's a huge difference between a buck that's 5.5+ years old like the one originally posted and a 2.5 yr old.  doe are submissive to whatever is around. they have to be. which is why they might be bred by more than one buck. like you could have twins with different dads. i'm with john in that a buck with a scrub rack might be more full of piss and fight to drive off other bucks off than one with a large rack. large racks are less common and reclusive because otherwise it wouldn't be alive. scrub racks have had a life that affords them to run around without a care in front of more hunters trying to fight and breed everything it can. even more so if it got the genetic card of a massive body with a scrub rack. if a buck has a scrub rack because it's just a runt, that's different. that's my take and experience.

A buck does not really know what it has for headgear and his actions are determined more by his demeanor as much as his age. Bigger,older deer know when to hold em per say. They know when she is ready and will not expend needed energy chasing a doe that just smells good. And as we all know every animal is different but when they hit 3 years and up in a state with woodlots set up like ours they really do turn into a totally different beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

Old bull and young bull stand atop a hill overlooking a pasture of cows. Young bull says, "Let's run down this hill and screw one of those cows." Old bull says, "No. Let's walk down and screw them all."

Some lessons are only taught with age.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Old bull, a bull in his prime, and a youngster stand on a hill looking at some cows.

Old bull says," I can still hang in there and will breed some of those cows." Prime bull says "I'm a stud and will get many of them cows to stand for me." Young bull says," I may be young but I'm gonna try for the first time to breed a few cows."

Just then the farmer pulls in with his trailer and the biggest, badass bull anyone has ever seen charges out.....

Old bull says,"I'm past my prime and guess I'll sit this year out" Prime bull says," Ya, this breeding thing is overrated and think I'll just hang here and chew my cud"

They look over and the youngster is snorting and pawing the ground, putting on a challenge to this new comer.

The old bull says," ain't worth it son, that bull is going to kill you; what are you thinking?"

"I just want to make sure he knows I'm a bull !"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Don't always believe everything written in books, LOL.

and don't just ignore things written by scientists who have spent their life studying theme either.

Joe at the bar may not be wrong, but his anecdotal evidence rarely wins in a debate with a wildlife biologist.

if more people thought that way, maybe the glaciers wouldn't be melting...

2 hours ago, tarheel95 said:

Old bull and young bull stand atop a hill overlooking a pasture of cows. Young bull says, "Let's run down this hill and screw one of those cows." Old bull says, "No. Let's walk down and screw them all."

Some lessons are only taught with age.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

a 10-point buck, an 8-point buck, and a nubbin were all hanging out on a field-edge one fall evening, nibbling grass and plucking acorns off a tree. The 10-point turned to his buddies and said "You know, life is pretty good; I've got 10 does who hang with me and treat me pretty well. I'm happy! The 8-point echoed the larger buck's satisfaction. "I'm livin' the dream! I've got four does and they're the best!" The button buck was about to brag about the one yearling he'd been courting when a monstrous 14-point buck trotted onto the field, his rack swaying as he stared menacingly at his smaller rivals. "Whoa!" the 10-pointer breathed. "This isn't lookin' good for me! I wonder if giving him half my doe would keep me out of a fight?" "Yeah," said the 8-point. "I guess I could be pretty happy with two does if it would save me from bodily harm!
Suddenly the button buck trotted brazenly to the middle of the field. He pawed the ground like a mad bull, then ran to woods-edge near the 14-pointer, where he rubbed his head raw against a tree, peed on his hocks, and snort-wheezed with all his might! Then he raced back toward the ten and the eight. "What in the heck are you doing?!" the two bucks exclaimed. "Are you tryin' to get yourself killed?!" "Are you kidding?" the little buck said, his voice quavering. "I just want to make sure that big SOB knows I'm a buck!"

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Old bull, a bull in his prime, and a youngster stand on a hill looking at some cows.

Old bull says," I can still hang in there and will breed some of those cows." Prime bull says "I'm a stud and will get many of them cows to stand for me." Young bull says," I may be young but I'm gonna try for the first time to breed a few cows."

Just then the farmer pulls in with his trailer and the biggest, badass bull anyone has ever seen charges out.....

Old bull says,"I'm past my prime and guess I'll sit this year out" Prime bull says," Ya, this breeding thing is overrated and think I'll just hang here and chew my cud"

They look over and the youngster is snorting and pawing the ground, putting on a challenge to this new comer.

The old bull says," ain't worth it son, that bull is going to kill you; what are you thinking?"

"I just want to make sure he knows I'm a bull !"

beat me to it, despite i posted about bucks. lol