5 YDS .357 MAG

CapDistPatriot

Yes more questions then answers . Was he bear hunting ? Or a deer hunter with a .357 who came across a bear ?

For bear, and I’m not too knowledgeable here, I think hard cast Buffalo bore,instead of your basic deer round .

• Like 1

Contrary to popular belief, black bear are not that hard to kill if the shot is well placed.  A .357 magnum revolver at close range will be adequate for the job with just about any bullet it normally uses.  A regular jacketed soft point will produce more than enough energy and penetration to reach a black bear's vitals at that range.

The concern here is, will it decide to attack you after you hit it and before it dies.  It might do that even if it was hit well with a 12 gauge slug at close range.  Oh it will soon be dead for sure.  The question is, will it take you with it.

11 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Yes more questions then answers . Was he bear hunting ? Or a deer hunter with a .357 who came across a bear ?

For bear, and I’m not too knowledgeable here, I think hard cast Buffalo bore,instead of your basic deer round .

The state wide seasons for bear and deer do not run concurrently in PA. I believe the gun season for PA deer opens next Monday. There are a few areas where there is an extended bear season concurrent with the deer season, but they haven't opened yet.

If he ran into the bear while deer hunting he was deer hunting out of season.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CapDistPatriot
      I couldn't even watch the video. Just pisses me off that A.) Some "people" do think this is acceptable behavior, and B.) The humane society feels the need to smear all who partake in our great sport by releasing the video. I mean, they didn't just get this from a leak, they actually took the time to file a FOIA request.
      I have some sympathy for someone who poaches a deer here and there because he cannot afford food from the grocery store (out where I grew up it was quite common) and needs to feed his family, but these @$$holes are just killing for sport. Complete disrespect for the lives of the creatures God created for us.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Video-of-Alaska-father-and-son-illegally-killing-bear-shrieking-cubs-made-public-507736061.html
    • By Padre86
      I'm looking at the big game hunting opportunities in Ontario, CA.  According to the province's regulations, non-residents (with some exceptions) have to hunt bear and moose with a licensed guide.  So, unguided, DIY hunts (at least for bear and moose) aren't feasible up there.

I've looked through a few different guiding websites to get a baseline for the prices that are charged: $3.5k-$6k per person for Moose hunts (depending on the level of guide services); and $2.5k-$3.5k for black bear hunts (again depending on the level of guide services).

My question: are there any guides/outfitters which offer minimal services, and cheap fees, for hunting these animals?  For example, is there an outfitter which takes on a non-resident hunter as registered guest but allows him/her to hunt DIY for a cheaper rate than what is mentioned above?
    • By Padre86
      Anyone here ever tried calling for black bear in the northern zone of NY (mostly referring to Tug Hill and the ADK's)?

I've heard that in certain areas which have similar vegetation and terrain to NY (western Oregon and Washington) calling black bear is a tactic used by some hunters, as traditional spot-and-stalk hunts aren't really feasible and baiting and hounding aren't allowed.

I was thinking of trying some calling this coming fall.  I'd be interested in talking to anyone else who has tried this method.
    • By Padre86
      I'm looking for feedback on which pistol cartridges are ideal for dispatching black bear and deer.
      I need a good sidearm to carry along for tracking and dispatching wounded game.  I will always rely on a rifle or shotgun if I believe the animal's wounds are marginal.  But for those situations where the animal's wounds are fatal but it life still lingers, I would like a reliable, widely available and effective pistol cartridge for dispatching it.

The cartridges I am considering for this application:
      .357 magnum 10mm auto .44 magnum .41 magnum .454 casull I would prefer a revolver for its simplicity and reliability for shooting big cartridges.  As well, I really don't see the need for anything more than 6-8 shot capacity for this use.  That said, I would consider a semi-auto if the case for 10mm's usefulness can be made.  
      With regards to the magnum cartridges and bears: I've seen a lot of people preach that "bigger is better."  And while I acknowledge that something like a .44 magnum or .454 casull are well-regarded for killing big game, I would prefer a cartridge that is adequate for handling black bear rather than one that is overkill, if that makes sense.  I have given .357 magnum much consideration for this reason.
      I would like to hear feedback from those that have experience with these cartridges, or perhaps others that I haven't considered.  
    • By NFA-ADK
      Large bear taken in Sterling forest.  I heard the DEC said he had to have it out the next day so the hunter gave it to the DEC, this is here say...  
      Not sure if the hunter wants to be identified so I cut his face out.  Supposedly just under 800lbs!!!  Waiting for more pics.