First buck

Pygmy

I   recalled today that I shot my first buck deer on the  day after Thanksgiving in 1966...

That was 52  years ago.....He had a spike on one side and a fork on the other...I was so excited that I did not realize he had a fork, and kept dragging him by the spike for about 200 yards uphill...The spike kept slipping from my hand and I had blisters before I reached the top...It was not until I went to tie my tag on his antler that I realized he was a 3 point rather than a spike..

• Like 22
  • Haha 2

Pretty sure mine was 1980, Opening Day that year.  The gun was an Ithaca Deerslayer with a 2x EER mounted on the barrel dovetails.  Ironically as hell, he was shot on land that (member here) Zag's family owns right now!!  I'm sure the tree has fallen by now, it was a HUGE old oak tree.

• Like 2

It was down in the gully  across the road from my home in Tuscarora  Township...The gun was a Win M 37 single shot  in 12 gauge...It had no bluing on it because my uncle had stripped it but had never got around to bluing it.. I was shooting paper  Super X slugs that were given to me by good friend Jimmy Randall, who, BTW was killed in action in early March of 1971 in Vietnam...

• Like 1

My first was in 1992 at the farm my Dad made our home.Pleasant Valley NY I told Pop/Dad wasen't going to school it's opening day went to my favorite spot on the prop and at 730 i had shot my first Buck ever.Does were much easier to shoot back then.Not so these days

• Like 2

Mine was the Saturday after thanksgiving. It was warm that ur. We were hunting up behind nccc. I didn't have any doe permits. 3 doe came thru. I thought of course! 2 minutes later here comes this 8. I emptied 5 shells out of a win 1300. Spine shot the deer. No more shells. My buddy Gordy comes running up and slits the Bucks throat. He had taken many deer. Few years later he took his own life! He might be the reason I still hunt to this day

• Like 3

Mine was a basket rack seven pointer in 1999 in Canisteo. Five doe and fawn came up out of a thorn appple thicket looking behind them and there he was. They were about 40 yards away and I unloaded on him. I don't remember how many times I hit him but I wasn't about to let him get away! Nobody else was hunting that day because it was a slushy rainy sort of miserable day.

• Like 2

November 11th 2001, I had the day off from school and I wanted to sleep in but my father got me up to go hunting. We went to my uncle's hunting club in Constantia and put a few small drives on. He drove out the white grass swamp and told me to wait until the deer got as close as possible and not to shoot when they first came out because it was quite a ways to the swamp edge. Shortly after the drive started I saw movement down on the edge, it was a doe, holy crap she had a buck with her. They hung there not sure which way to go for like what seemed forever. Finally the doe decided to come right to me dragging the buck along. When he got to 30 yds I shot with my open sight Mossberg 500. I hit him back in the stomach with the first shot, racked another one and pulled the trigger and he dropped and never moved, neck shot. He was a 15" wide 7 point (missing a brow). Remember it like yesterday. First deer and first buck. Sadly I sold the shotgun a few years later for basically nothing, wish I held onto it now...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mine was a 9 point with a drop tine. It was the last week  of November 1992 or 3. .I think... it was one of my most memorable kills. He was within 10 yds for over 1/2 an hour..  I was sitting on the ground in some brush with a couple 1" saplings tight in front of me. 

He came in right of center and of course my gun was on the left side of said sapling. It took me all of the 1/2 hour to raise the gun up and around so I could shoot him left handed at less than 20 feet without him seeing me..

And it was the start of my bad reputation of shooting them as far away from the rd as I could get..lol.. it took 4 of us until 12:30 that morning to drag him out..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nodeerhere said:

Mine was the Saturday after thanksgiving. It was warm that ur. We were hunting up behind nccc. I didn't have any doe permits. 3 doe came thru. I thought of course! 2 minutes later here comes this 8. I emptied 5 shells out of a win 1300. Spine shot the deer. No more shells. My buddy Gordy comes running up and slits the Bucks throat. He had taken many deer. Few years later he took his own life! He might be the reason I still hunt to this day

1 shot 2 shot we were all younger but why.My best friend took his life aswell at only 31 and I still and will never no why he left so soon.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Dom said:

1 shot 2 shot we were all younger but why.My best friend took his life aswell at only 31 and I still and will never no why he left so soon.

My buddy was 24. It was over a girl. I still think about him a few times during hunting season! I still look at the pic from time to time and smile! And every now and again when when I ain't seeing anything I look up in the sky and ask him to chase a deer my way! 

• Like 4

Mine was a 7 point on November 7 1998. I remember it well I had my dad's Winchester semiauto in 308 ( not sure of the model it was stolen shortly after) with a cheap tasco scope. The weather had been rainy and all of a sudden at the base of my tree stand I heard them. It was a doe on a pretty good pace following 10 feet behind was the buck. I was so excited they circled around in front of my stand I pull up my gun to find my scope was half fogged up do to the wet weather and a I could only see half the view. I found quickly what I thought was the vitals and touched it off. My dad must have been looking down after me as I made a beautiful shot and he only went about 100 yrds. I was so excited and ended up getting it mounted.8802bf64acb4fcf61ef03316bca5fe27.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1964 in Susquehanna county Pa. I shot a 10pt folks kept driving by the house where we had it hanging for days to see it. My dad and uncle were there that day. Remember that day as if it was today. Since then it's been down hill on any buck with that many pts. Memories.

• Like 3

My first buck was the day before Thanksgiving, 1973. I was sitting along a stonewall fence, looking out into a hay field. This was on the same property I still hunt today! I had seen deer out in that field, riding the bus to school on a few mornings. I had done work for the farmer many times, (my hunting partners Dad) and asked for, and was granted permission to hunt that field.

As I was sitting there, a couple doe's came running along the edge, stopped in front of me, then took off again. A few seconds later, a spike horn came running along the same as the doe's, and stopped were they did. My heart was beating so hard, I thought for sure he'd hear it! I slowly raised my 16g model 37 Ithaca and fired. The foster slug found its mark, the buck ran a short distance and fell! 

That was the proudest moment of my life, to that point. I hung that deer in the barn, and told the story over and over, to my farmer mentors. While they sipped coffee, asked me questions, and winked and nudged each other.

• Like 2

My first one was an archery 3 pt. I was 15.  It was my grandmas 75th birthday. So we had a big get together and at about 130 she saw me looking out the window and told me to get in my stand.  So grabbed my gear and ran up the hill to my dads stand(crevis in a rock,perfect spot).  The day before my older cousin told me to rattle,grunt use the bleat can he bought me, said its first week of november they are stupid.  So at about 330 i rattled and grunted and within minutes i hear a deer coming in. I finally realize its a buck and hes tearing up sapling after sapling making his way in.  He gets to 20yards and i let the arrow fly.  He bolts and takes off arrow still in him.  We had to back out because we didnt have good light and we wanted to give him time.  So i skipped school the next day to look for him.  He was 25 yards from where we stopped looking.  Killed my first gun buck from same stand when i was 17 a little spike horn.

• Like 1

My first buck was the Saturday before thanksgiving 2009. That morning I was in a stand with my father and we were facing one way in the homemade stand and when I turned I saw a big 10 point just looking at us. I reached for the gun and it ran off. I was pretty bumed about it, but hopeful that I might see it later in the day. That afternoon I ended up seeing a deer and shot it. It ended up being a 3 point which I couldnt have been happier about. I shot many deer out of that stand, but sadly the neighbor tore down that stand. He felt it was too close to his house ( abot 200 yards from his house), so he tore it down this season. 

OMFG, you folks still remember the exact date, location and situation...?

Mine had to have been in the early 1960s while hunting after school. Shot it with a single shot 20ga my dad insisted I only use and the buck (??) might have barely qualified to fill a buck tag. Fast forward a decade or so, I bought several 12ga auto & pump shotguns, mainly out of spite for my dad's insistence of using a single shot gun. Okay, so I eventually figured out why my dad did what he'd done, after a few years of sling lead, carrying pockets full of slugs and emptying shotguns on a deer made me realize the obvious. Didn't we all think we were smarter than our dads??

• Like 1

I wish I had some of your guys memories!

Pretty sure my first buck was a tiny 5 pointer. Probably one of the first non spiked bucks I’d seen in the woods.

I couldn’t tell you what year let alone the date. I can tell you I shot it with a Remington 1100 because that’s the gun I’ve been hunting with for years ever since I had a 20ga 870 stolen the day before opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Pretty sure mine was 1980, Opening Day that year.  The gun was an Ithaca Deerslayer with a 2x EER mounted on the barrel dovetails.  Ironically as hell, he was shot on land that (member here) Zag's family owns right now!!  I'm sure the tree has fallen by now, it was a HUGE old oak tree.

If you ever want to check the for the tree just let me know, love to check it out with ya

• Like 2

My first buck was a very strategic hunt . Very well planned and precision executed.  Sure...

Was the second day of gun season, I had sat for about 4 hours in a chair by a fence line on the edge of the woods. I decided to call it cause hadn't seen a thing. Stood up stretched my arms and looked to my left .....duh..... buck....at 50 yards. 

Grabbed my Mossberg 500 open sights and dropped him where he stood. He had one side busted off and the other a fork horn hanging down and broken but still there.   

Had taken a few does before then and shot at one buck and missed.   Also got my first bow buck a year later a 7 point. 

• Like 2

My dad and I each had a treestands in the same tree, just clocked from one another. November 16th, 1998 I got my first deer, a spike, after a couple hours of us hunting.  It was my first deer hunt.  I used a youth 20g shotgun.  The puddles of blood I will never forget.  It is shoulder mounted on my wall.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2