First buck

Pygmy

I have exactly three sets of antlers mounted on my walls. My first buck ever; the first buck with a bow ; and the first buck taken from property that I actually owned. None of them are even close to the biggest bucks I've taken. In fact they're kinda scrawny and pathetic. They're just the most memorable.

• Like 6

My first buck was Saturday after Thanksgiving '94. I was going to college and working at a sporting goods store that I will not mention on this site. I was pissed they would not give me black Friday off so we were out the day after. On walk into my stand I had some serious stomach cramps and had to take a dump. Didn't have TP so had to wipe my ass with oak leaves. Great start. Thought my day was done before it started. Was only sitting a short while and I see a deer with antlers way out in front of me walking away. I had a grunt tube so I did a couple grunts and he turned and started walking walking towards me. At about 75 yards, resting off knee, bouncing like crazy, I pulled the trigger. Spined him. Had to make a mercy shot when I got to him. 5 point. Remember like yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My first buck was on 10/28/86; a little 6Pt that I got bowhunting on the ground.  I was sitting on the ground up against a wide pine tree and my girlfriend at the time, wanted to come to watch, was sitting on the ground to my left about 6yds from me up against another pine tree.  We were up on a little ridge that had a good deer trail about 10 feet below littered with rubs all along it.  About half an hour before quitting time I heard something coming along the trail below the ridge but instead of following along the trail, it came up to the ridge and popped out about 10 yards to the left of my girlfriend.  I could see that it had antlers and looked like a little fork horn.  As it came to the top of the ridge it started rubbing a tree.  All I can think of was, finally a buck in bow range and my girlfriend's between me and him, so I'm not going to even get a shot.  I figured he'd see her any minute and bolt out of there but instead after he rubbed the tree for about a minute he turned and headed back down the ridge presenting me with a shot...talk about getting lucky.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

10/15/98 opening day at 3 o’clock. I took him to Jim Block, he was just starting out, and I had him back the day before the shotgun opener. 9e9377aa7a6f0356ac05ec002e5bd814.jpg
Hes a yearling too, hed have been a bonafide monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guys like you are the reason we can't kill any big bucks in NY....Hehehe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine was November 16, 2006 and I only know that since it’s on the plaque on the mount. He is my first deer ever shot with my uncle’s Browning(he doesn’t hunt and it was given to him by his father who also didn’t hunt so the origin of ownership is a mystery). Public land, shotgun only, sitting behind a massive dead tree on a rock wall which I found again this year scouting the same land. I still remember seeing his nose pop over another rock wall, braced the gun on the side of the tree and shot a little back. He went running off and 30 seconds later I hear 2 shots ring out. I forgot my buddy was sitting where the shots came from and panicked that some other yahoo was shooting “my deer.” He missed him so we slowly tracked not being able to give it time on tightly hunted state land and found him in a bed by yet another rock wall.

Amazing how little I knew then compared to today when I still no very little!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I forgot my buddy was sitting where the shots came from and panicked that some other yahoo was shooting “my deer.” He missed him so we slowly tracked not being able to give it time on tightly hunted state land and found him in a bed by yet another rock wall.

Who's deer would it have been if he hadn't missed?????????

• Like 1

Well I think I was 14 yrs old (1992) when I shot my first deer with a Hoyt gamegetter I think it was. I remember exactly how that morning went. I slept in while my brother and dad went out. When they came back the the camp I was just heading out. I wasn't in the stand for 15 minutes when he came by. Right after the shot I walked back to camp and they thought I was full of s#it. The other is my first gun buck I can't remember my age for that one. Both taken a few hundred yrds from lawdwaz first gun kill. Small world sometimes

KIMG0340.JPG

KIMG0339.JPG

• Like 2

You would think a simple question would have a simple answer.....Not so.

The year was 1968 which was my first year as a deer hunter. I was invited to hunt with my best friend and his family. In those days you needed 4 hunters to apply for a party permit. And I needed to hunt with an adult because I was only 16. So, they needed me and I needed them.

On our very first drive 3 of us walked toward 2 standers. Toward the end of the drive I noticed the other 2 drivers in a pasture, so I walked over there to see what was going on. About the time I got to them one of the standers shot 3 times. A 7 pt. buck emerged from the woods and ran several hundred yards across the open pasture towards us. The veteran hunter told us not to move and not to fire until he gave the word. I can still remember seeing the bucks  ears flopping as it lopped to us. The older hunter gave the word and all three of us fired as one. The buck collapsed on the spot, but attempted to get back up. We again fired as one and it was knocked down for good. Initial shot had hit one of the back legs. Our volleys had placed 5 slugs into its' rib cage and 1 into its' neck.

One of our party was home on leave from Vietnam and only had one day to hunt, so he volunteered to use his tag on the deer.

I like to think that if I had been in the pasture alone, I would have taken the deer. Truth is, if I hadn't been there they would have easily filled the tag without me.

So, that's the first deer I ever shot, but I don't consider it my first deer.

Our party was done hunting around 3PM that day, so I decided to still hunt my way home from their farm. It started to drizzle and noticed movement as I emerged from some pines. A little 5 pt. was just walking along about 30 yards away, trying to figure out how to cross a fence. I took dead aim on his lungs and drilled him with a spine shot! (How did that happen?) LOL

I would be the first to admit that just about everything that happened that day was mostly luck.

• Like 2

My first buck was taken on state land just east of Brookhaven National Labs on opening day 2003. I had seen a bachelor group the previous Sunday while low impact scouting, and that made the decision of where to hunt for me.

Made a plan to hunt that spot with a buddy from work. To secure that spot i got there early....too early it turned out, as i got a parking ticket from the encon. Officer. My hunting buddy was late and he packed it in around 11.

I hunted the entire day. About 30 minutes before sunset the bachelor gropu came through. Had no shot at the biggest buck, but fortunately the smalkest buck a 4 point walked into a open lane at 15 yards and I took the shot. I spined it and it dropped in its tracks. A follow up shot sealed the deal. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

1979 in Old Chatham NY. It was opening day of rifle, my first.  At 7:47 AM a 3pt walked within 25 yrds of my ground blind. Shot him with a Marlin 336c 30-30.  He went 20 feet and crashed into a pine tree. Dad had a smile bigger than me if that's possible.