Snort wheeze .. o my

fadetoblack188

Yesterday I am walking out of the woods and I hear heavy rustling just off the trail to my right. Sounded big.  I paused and looked trying to get a view. And all the sudden I heard what sound like the devil snorting breathing on me.  I am not going to lie I got quite nervous at first not realizing what it could be.  It sounded like a grizzly!

i paused and then remembered reading and watching YouTube about a dominant bucks snort wheeze .  Have you ever heard one in person!? So close?  I am suprised it snort wheezed at me.  It did it once more. Walked deeper into the woods another ten yards and did it twice more.  

I did not get a look at the head to see how big this deer was. But I am going to throw some cameras in that area. 

• Like 2

Just now, the blur said:

I had a deer stomp it's foot at me.    Only happened once, but it was assume to see.   30 yards.   

You've only had a deer stomp at you once ? Mind you I've had it happen only a few times in deer season but turkey season a boatload    Then the blow, walk a few steps back,turn around, stomp some more, head tilted in curiosity    Always fun

RE snort wheeze I had a buck chasing does a few weeks ago and was told in a group text snort wheeze him. I had no idea what it sounded like as I've never heard it before.

had an 8 chasing away a 4 point last year and he was all sorts of pissed of at him.  Was snort wheezing and racking up a tree with his antlers,  chased him for about 50 yards!   i grunted at him and he never got closer than 50 yards to me - during bow season.  Was cool to watch though

have been blown at many many times being busted on the way into a stand in the dark and it scares the crap outa you!  but this was the first time i ever heard one snort wheeze. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

i feel like some get sounds mixed up. a true snort wheez and deep drawn out roaring grunt versus a shorter tending grunt i only heard once we started knocking down more doe and passing more bucks to create some competition. pretty cool. i've heard the tiniest buck do it too. not just the big dominant ones that do it.  also once we started doing the whole herd management thing and QDM i saw a dominant buck come in stiff legged, walking sideways, neck hair upright, and ears pinned back. coolest thing i've ever seen a deer do. way different than bucks getting run off in the past. ran off 2 of 3 other bucks there establishing peck order in October. one 2.5 yr old buck that ran off figured out quick that he should have. i wish i was close enough to hear any sounds they were making!

My impression is that the snort wheeze is a long fffffff ffffffff ffffsssssssssssssssssss. The buck is exhaling air through his nose. It is done when the doe is ready to breed and the buck is all worked up and he is warning any other buck to back the F off.

I called in a buck a few seasons back that was walking outa my life and would not listen to anything else I threw at him. I snort wheezed and he stopped on a dime. Did it again and he came stomping back in and ended up with my tag on him. One of my most memorable hunts. Very cool to say the least.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 3