Dads only turkey.

reeltime

Mom brought some pics up to camp and when I ran across this one it brought tears to my eyes.

I had shot a nice 8 point with the bow the evening prior to this hunt and shortly after I killed a Jake.

I allowed the birds to fly up and snuck out at dark so I could get dad to be there while I tracked my buck even though I watched him drop.

We found the deer gutted him and before we headed down the hill I told dad I wanted to flush the birds so I could bring him back in the morning.

Got a good scatter and we were back before the tree talk started in the morning. I started them up with a fly down into an assembly call.

Soon there were birds talking every where and a hand full were closing the distance. I saw this Jake sneaking along the hill kee kee calling as he came in.

When he got to 20 yards I told dad to shoot him first chance BOOOOM he got. Lol.

This was his first ever turkey and sadly his only 1. The following fall I had scattered birds came and got dad. Went back set up and I had birds talking all around us. I heard something sneaking in behind us and when I turned around there was a guy with a shotgun shouldered pointed right at me....to say there was a profanity laced statement made would be an understatement. The guy had the balls to say you sound just like a real turkey with that call.

Dad said he was done hunting and when we got back he said please don't ask me to go again as after this incident I will never turkey hunt again and he never did. But he never forgot his only bird and often told people about the hunt.

ce42336ead971cd14a6053c49e22a4bc.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 12

great story, my father thought that he might hunt with me as he was close to retiring and got the idea I filled a tag every time I went, which of course I didn't but I put the days in.  He got Leukemia that August and passed in February never made it to the turkey woods. You have a great memory to keep right there.