Average price to cape a deer?

First-light

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Looked up a local place cause if I get another deer might take it there as my freezer is full now.  So can have it done and boxed and frozen to give to family and friends etc.   

But just checked their website and it said $25 for caping for mounts.  

That is what I paid. Thanks.

• Like 1

When I (very rarely) get a wally, I carefully field dress and take it to my taxidermist. He capes it for free and that way has the cape exactly as he wants it. Says it makes his job easier and I agree. I cape all others myself along with all butchering, grinding and packing. Along with cooking and eating...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

When I (very rarely) get a wally, I carefully field dress and take it to my taxidermist. He capes it for free and that way has the cape exactly as he wants it. Says it makes his job easier and I agree. I cape all others myself along with all butchering, grinding and packing. Along with cooking and eating...

My guy is like that too, he wants to do it. I have to be sure and remember every 8 years when I get a wallhanger lol

• Like 1

My butcher also charged $25 to cape for my taxidermist.  All they really do is cut the head off close to the skull and leave a lot of hide attached to it.  Seems to me it's something they probably do on every deer they butcher, but charge extra for it if you need it.  Maybe it's to insure they're careful not to cut the hide in any part of the cape. :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Rattler said:

My butcher also charged $25 to cape for my taxidermist.  All they really do is cut the head off close to the skull and leave a lot of hide attached to it.  Seems to me it's something they probably do on every deer they butcher, but charge extra for it if you need it.  Maybe it's to insure they're careful not to cut the hide in any part of the cape. :rolleyes:

Thanks same here.

10 minutes ago, First-light said:

Thanks same here.

My friend who runs the butchershop up the road charges $25 to cape. I've been caping all of his deer for the past two seasons, although this year has been very slow around here. I don't charge extra on deer that I mount. Honestly, I'd much rather skin the deer myself than deal with any "surprises" that may arise when the cape shows up inside a black plastic bag.

• Like 2

Hope not cuz he charged me $30!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahah I used to use them. Brian the guy who works there and also owns the king Kone is really cool but overall I don’t love the job they do

You guys are talking about  "meat cutter"  caping, not fully caping where you skin the face down, do lips, tearducts, etc...

That would cost considerably more than $25 or $30...

However, most normally cut up close to the head a and peel the hide down, either by hand or  with a truck or atv...

Doing the "meatcutter caping",  where they cut below the forelegs and skin up to the head, and then cut off the head, takes a few minutes more and is worth the $25 or so extra...

• Like 2

Just as an aside....I few years ago,  one of my friends, who processes deer every year, made the comment that he could skin a deer by hand in 5 minutes...Another fellow bet him a beer that he could not...

He skinned the deer completely in 4 1/2 minutes, and that included taking about a half minute beer break halfway through...

Hahah I used to use them. Brian the guy who works there and also owns the king Kone is really cool but overall I don’t love the job they do

Brian is the only guy in there I will work with. I know him through another one of his close friends. I did have them process a deer and didn’t love their work- too many hands to keep track of what’s actually mine.

Brian is the only guy in there I will work with. I know him through another one of his close friends. I did have them process a deer and didn’t love their work- too many hands to keep track of what’s actually mine.

Yea Brian is the man