Calling squirrels in

Wanted to get a little squirrel hunting in today while they are still pretty active.

Anyway, it turned out to be a slow day, I saw more deer than squirrels. After 2 hours of nothing, I decided to give a few barks on my Buck Rogers handy dandy squirrel call gizmo. First set of calls didn't receive any reaction, about 5 minutes after the second set, a bushy tail appeared out of nowhere, about 15 yards in front of me, he seemed to be looking for something (the originator of the call)? He caught me moving, but I got him in the tree running. 15 minutes later a chatty bow hunter stopped by, I was getting cold, so I called it a day.

But honestly, I believe the bark calling brought this one in. Has anyone else ever had any luck trying to call squirrels in?

thumbnail_20181124_101012.jpg

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Wanted to get a little squirrel hunting in today while they are still pretty active.

Anyway, it turned out to be a slow day, I saw more deer than squirrels. After 2 hours of nothing, I decided to give a few barks on my Buck Rogers handy dandy squirrel call gizmo. First set of calls didn't receive any reaction, about 5 minutes after the second set, a bushy tail appeared out of nowhere, about 15 yards in front of me, he seemed to be looking for something (the originator of the call)? He caught me moving, but I got him in the tree running. 15 minutes later a chatty bow hunter stopped by, I was getting cold, so I called it a day.

But honestly, I believe the bark calling brought this one in. Has anyone else ever had any luck trying to call squirrels in?

thumbnail_20181124_101012.jpg

Congrats 

I just look for the spot with the most Oak  trees and post there . Crow calls  on the other hand I have used they work awesome .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ncountry said:

No, I just sit in my treestand and they seem to scamper out of every tree around me..ha.. ha.

It never fails. When I specifically target squirrels, they are few & far between. When I sit for deer or turkeys, they are everywhere. Things that make you go hmmm.....:scratchhead:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Mixed results with squirrel  calls. Probably work about 30 percent of the time. I have the same call and another.distress call. I still scrape the edges of 2 quarters together and I think it works just as well.

I tend to agree with you. I don't think I'[ve ever tried using a call before, it was something of a desparation move that worked out. I will have to bring a couple quarters in my pocket next time to see if that produces any type of results.

• 2 weeks later...

I got that same call and well in Brooklyn and queens the squirrels love it but usually they just stop and freeze even come around a tree and expose themselves.See I work for the gas co. and walk around looking for leaks and I was in forest hills a very exclusive area  [nosey nasty people ] I was trying my call on some squirrels and this guy looks @ me and I said to him see what this job did to me 35 yrs and they got me talking to squirrels [see you got to act as nutty as they do and they leave you alone the people I mean not the squirrels lol]

• 2 weeks later...