Question...

rjmjr911

From the DEC website - 

Q: Can I take my young child (or an unlicensed person) with me while I am deer hunting?
A: Yes, and we highly recommend it! Just make sure the child (or unlicensed person) is not hunting or assisting in any aspect of the hunt (like driving deer). Bring an extra pair of binoculars and plenty of snacks. Have a good time!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rjmjr911 said:

Can I legally bring my child into the woods on an afternoon hunt? My son wants to go with me and he's only 5 years old. I'm not looking to get a fine from Dep

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bring your boy, and enjoy the time together! 

• Like 1

My first time hunting with my Dad was up in Lewis county and I was like 8.  We sat above a swamp and beaver dam and saw a bear .  I still remember it.  

He had a sweet 16 shotgun and the bear was prob 300 yards away.  And I asked Dad if he was gonna shoot him. He said nah we'll let him go.  Lol

Get him out there and hooked early.  Before you know it he's your hunting buddy!  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Shot  my first deer sitting with my gramps at 10. Filled his tag. Ny is so behind the times. I don't need a politician  telling  me how old a kid should be to hunt or how to best raise my family.

If  a village  raises the child you have a village full of idiots.

I don't agree with NY's legal hunting age either, but I don't think it's a good idea instilling in a child at a very young age that violating the law is acceptable.  Today he shoots at a deer before legal age, tomorrow he will shoot more deer than he has tags for just because he disagrees with the law and just because he can.  Not the road I want to take my child down.

• Like 2

Do it you won’t regret it! I started taking mine at 5 years old.

Don’t have any high expectations of seeing deer or staying out long but it’s a ton of fun. Bring snack, books, headphones, hot coco. Anything to just get a little more time out of them.

I hope to get one of mine out this afternoon for a sit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I don't agree with NY's legal hunting age either, but I don't think it's a good idea instilling in a child at a very young age that violating the law is acceptable.  Today he shoots at a deer before legal age, tomorrow he will shoot more deer than he has tags for just because he disagrees with the law and just because he can.  Not the road I want to take my child down.

Only you know your children  and how you should raise them. Good 0n you and for that I agree with you.

Edited by Nytracker

Snacks are the key. My boy is 6 and started turkey in the spring and did his first deer sit this past Friday.

Even with good gear it was a little too cold.

And don’t have any expectations of real hunting. Just consider it a trip to the woods. If you’re really gunning for a deer, leave the guy alone unless you have a real sweet setup. Don’t want to get frustrated with the kiddos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can I legally bring my child into the woods on an afternoon hunt? My son wants to go with me and he's only 5 years old. I'm not looking to get a fine from Dep

We went out this afternoon and had a blast. Saw no deer, but lots of squirrels and chipmunks. He did good.

• Like 5