Unconventional methods of harvest?

crappyice

I've met the guy in this clip that does the run and kill. He was working for a guide as his tracker in a camp I stayed. Wizard throwing his spear, its quite impressive in person. Ate a porcupine the guys caught and cooked whole buried in the sand in a traditional way, and me and one other American went along for a day on their hunt and gathering trip for water and plants.

There is a fellow in Poughkeepsie that works with several governments to help keep these folks way of life around (oldest on earth) and can set up a visit.

They also hunt with tiny little bows about 3 feet long tipped with poison made from chewing a grub and a nut mixed with spit and multiple coats are applied to a small arrow point made to break off in muscle. Must track for 24 hrs to find the kill.

Start training.....

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I've met the guy in this clip that does the run and kill. He was working for a guide as his tracker in a camp I stayed. Wizard throwing his spear, its quite impressive in person. Ate a porcupine the guys caught and cooked whole buried in the sand in a traditional way, and me and one other American went along for a day on their hunt and gathering trip for water and plants.

There is a fellow in Poughkeepsie that works with several governments to help keep these folks way of life around (oldest on earth) and can set up a visit.

They also hunt with tiny little bows about 3 feet long tipped with poison made from chewing a grub and a nut mixed with spit and multiple coats are applied to a small arrow point made to break off in muscle. Must track for 24 hrs to find the kill.

Start training.....

Now THAT is impressive!!! 

To have actually been with a hunter like this, is quite an honor Dan! Kinda puts Lee and Tiffany, or any of the "celebrity" hunters in perspective. This guy is the real deal.

Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Killed a ton of rabbits  squirrels  a pheasant  or two  with a wrist rocket as a kid. Gramps being a mechanic in a Ford garage had everybody  saving me ball bearings . He use to bring home coffee cans full every couple weeks... 

4 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

When, I was around 13 and before, I could hunt with a Gun-- Wrist- Rockets were very popular with kids. During this time from age 10 or so--- my Father was Teaching me how to shoot Skeet. Using  that knowledge, I shot a male Mallard Duck out of the sky. I hit him right under the wing after a good Lead. Similar to station 5-- High House. Ate him that night.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Anyone have any experience with trapping deer? Atlatl? Spear?

Other? Are there legalities to be concerned about?

I do not plan on any of this but I have a “cowboy” in our pumpkin army group (he’s an ass and “married in” to the group)who thinks he can kill one by one of these methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell him not practical to use those weapons . 

In ancient times people use to kill big game with rocks  slings spear atlatl  but there was a lot more big game around at the time , they had all the time in the world to do it those people lived off the land to the point archaeologist could see the arm bones of the arm  they used to  hunt with those weapons would be bigger from all the practice they had with them .

Unless he planes on  throwing spears for a living  Practicing for the rest of his life 24/7  . He be waisting his time .

Tell him 

Just use a gun  . 

One time, while a buddy and I were driving thru a neighboring town where no hunting is allowed, we spotted a big "dead" doe next to a mailbox.  Her butt felt cool to the touch.  Having no idea how "fresh" she was, I decide to just cut off her tail (I use them for tying smallmouth bass jigs).  Much to my surprise, that action woke the "sleeping" doe up.  Instinctively, I hopped on her back, got her in a hammer lock with my left arm, while jabbing my razor sharp-knife (1-1/4" long blade) into her jugular.   The hot blood strayed across my arm as she bucked me off, striking my lower leg with a hoof in the process.  After she flopped around  in the resident's snow-covered front yard for several minutes, creating a scene resembling a "bloody massacre", we tossed the carcass into the bed of my buddy's pickup truck.

Needing a tag, and feeling a little guilty over the legality of the process,  we drove directly to the town police station.   I suppose the desk officer was somewhat surprised at my blood-soaked appearance when I walked in.   He said the resident had reported the "dead" deer, but no one had time to respond (it was late and they were short of staff).   He asked us if the deer had to be shot.  My reply was: "no, I killed it with my knife".  To that he replied: "that would be no".   That was his last comment to us.  He handed us the carcass tag, we took the deer back to my place to gut, and my buddy took it to his processor.  

His processor told him that it was the cleanest deer he had handled that season with absolutely no damaged meat.  Most likely, the doe had ran into the side of a passing car, knocking herself out.   The action of me grabbing her tail was enough to wake her back up.  It all came down to being in the right place at the right time.  Or wrong place wrong time considering the leg injury to myself.   It took a couple days for the swelling to go down the hurt to subside.             

• Haha 2

One time, while a buddy and I were driving thru a neighboring town where no hunting is allowed, we spotted a big "dead" doe next to a mailbox.  Her butt felt cool to the touch.  Having no idea how "fresh" she was, I decide to just cut off her tail (I use them for tying smallmouth bass jigs).  Much to my surprise, that action woke the "sleeping" doe up.  Instinctively, I hopped on her back, got her in a hammer lock with my left arm, while jabbing my razor sharp-knife (1-1/4" long blade) into her jugular.   The hot blood strayed across my arm as she bucked me off, striking my lower leg with a hoof in the process.  After she flopped around  in the resident's snow-covered front yard for several minutes, creating a scene resembling a "bloody massacre", we tossed the carcass into the bed of my buddy's pickup truck.
Needing a tag, and feeling a little guilty over the legality of the process,  we drove directly to the town police station.   I suppose the desk officer was somewhat surprised at my blood-soaked appearance when I walked in.   He said the resident had reported the "dead" deer, but no one had time to respond (it was late and they were short of staff).   He asked us if the deer had to be shot.  My reply was: "no, I killed it with my knife".  To that he replied: "that would be no".   That was his last comment to us.  He handed us the carcass tag, we took the deer back to my place to gut, and my buddy took it to his processor.  
His processor told him that it was the cleanest deer he had handled that season with absolutely no damaged meat.  Most likely, the doe had ran into the side of a passing car, knocking herself out.   The action of me grabbing her tail was enough to wake her back up.  It all came down to being in the right place at the right time.  Or wrong place wrong time considering the leg injury to myself.   It took a couple days for the swelling to go down the hurt to subside.             

Couldn’t do it...cliff notes?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Now that is funny!  lol

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Glad it worked out well for you 

Usually stories like that wind  up like this

Edited by Storm914
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Thanks! Good one!!! I liked the part about pulling her tail by the way!

It was kind of like turning the crank handle of an antique tractor when it was left in gear.  I did that once with my Allis Chalmers model C.   It took off thru the barn crushing everything in its path against the far wall where it finally lost traction.   I was very thankful that my crank handle was real long and that it had a tricycle front-end, allowing me to get out of it's way. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

You’re approaching growalot status with these stories bro

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Elmo’s on fire!!! Been away for all season and now playing catch up...and winning!

Caught a cold and now I have to stay  home from work and they have to keep the kids away from me.  Man...starting to think I should get sick more often.

• Like 1