Amazon Fishing

Dinsdale

This might be a few posts in the thread....net' issues for some reason. LOL

Spent a week fishing over Thanksgiving fishing in the Amazon basin of Brazil (and yes I blew off Deer season opener for the first time ever in 28 years)

This trip was lodged based on the Rio Travessao, a steam that eventually feeds to Rio Negro and then the Amazon at Manaus, Brazil where I flew into from Miami. Conditons ranged from 85-95* with high humidity and occasional thunderstorms. Rained sometime on 5 of 7 days and this is their dry season. River gained and lost visible depth during our stay by about a foot.

Equiptment; you are responsible for all terminal tackle and outfit supplied up to date rods and reels; A light spinning with Shimano 2500, a casting with Shimano Curado , heavy spinning catfish/chunk bait Ugly Stick with Diawa 6500 (100lb braid). I chose to additionally take a TFO 3 pc casting rod and Shimano Curado K reel just to have something familiar in hand; but it wasn't necessary to bring. Casts are frequent and rapid;  Peacock bass here are fast and aggressive; I was under prepared for the technical aspect and this ain't no chuck and duck trip for smallies. Nothing for a 6lb Peacock to straiten a 2x heavy 2/0 treble. Bent the Ugly Stick all the way doubled on more than one occasion on multiple fish.

I was one of the only first timers of the group of 8, 5 of whom had already been Peacock fishing on another river for a week before changing to this camp. All where super helpful and I was assigned to a boat/cabin with a guy who was on his 15th Amazon trip all with this outfit. He was terrific partner to get me on fish and we shared a great experience, I hope he feels the same.

Bird and vegetation were spectacular, a real treat to see untouched wilderness. The fishing is by agreement with local indigenous reservation who gains employment and currency for exclusive fishing rights. Guides are VERY respectful of catch and release and are expecting anglers to be the same. 

But most folks just like pics....so here are a few and some comments.

Red Tail Catfish; best one for the week in camp;

d0r9PO2.jpg

Bait; Chunked Piranha 

lAGlm1l.jpg

Peacock bass.....holy crap these guys can fight. Multiple jumps and runs.

E1E928k.jpg

Always watchful Caiman looking for some lost bait scraps;

fi2yPmj.jpg

Record class Black Piranha; these guys got serious teeth and require careful handling;

37olcQh.jpg

369gGc4.jpg

Wolf fish....Trairao.....35 lbs (best in camp was my partner at 38 lbs minutes after this one). Caught many of these on chunk and big lures from 16-24 lbs.

RIzb7lg.jpg

20 lber

ullOWiG.jpg

Last day of last light and the reason I went fishing here; Paraiba catfish....64" and about 100+ lbs; 40 minute fight to land; And Francisco expert boat handler and guide;

ObE1t5j.jpg

The end.

Link to more pics;https://imgur.com/a/IrU2Rnf

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 23

34 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the link worked - i could see all the pics 

Thanks!

I am going to add that link back in post if someone wants to see additional pics of camp and area from album, and post a few on thread for those just want to see some highlights.

I'll add some descriptions too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Please do!!! Looks like an awesome trip

For guys who can really fish.....I'm just a duffer.....this place was pretty amazing. I think between 8 of us we caught an example of all the major featured game fish offered except a White Drum. (about a dozen in all).

I took a course in University on the culture of this particular area and I booked as an overall experience.

I was always into fish, but my partner Martin after 15 trips put on a clinic. He was here on this river 5 years ago in a tent camp before building started as a lodge/cabin camp. Outfit also has floating camp and a houseboat based trips. This trip specializes in multiple species; others target Peacock bass varieties with occasional other catches.

4 guys in the group fish 200+ days a year all over most being Canadians from Pacific Northwest and having multiple fishing cabins from the coast to interior Provinces. One American guy booked 2 weeks and added a third when we were there to fill a spot this week!

We all ended up on this particular trip because the outfitter has trouble booking Americans over Thanksgiving and we all ended up at a discount price by booking this week. I booked at outdoor show in Suffern NY, most as repeat guys received email offer. Outfit (Acute Angling) is based in New Jersey and owners have been doing this for over 20 years, it was very pro and all inclusive including layover hotel at both ends of trip and all floatplane rates etc. Soup to nuts other then airfare to Brazil from US; and they have have an agent that sets that up too if you want (I did that and was cheaper then I could find on my own)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

After I get my moose trip out of the way in 2 years I’m heading to the Amazon to fish, after catching a few peacocks in south Florida a few years ago I can’t wait to catch them in their native waters!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DO NOT attempt to catch piranhas with your bare hands. Ask Bionic if you dont believe me

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

53 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’d surely look like a double headed dork if I showed up with my Zebco 202 at the dock huh?

What a wild trip Dan, hang some more pics/link when you get your internet back to full power. Thanks for sharing. 

I was blown away how hardcore most of the folks who showed up were. I see fishing as a way to relax and eat/drink in a boat floating around.:rofl:

This will knock you off the chair but I actually passed up going along on a small game hunt and to look for Jaguar to FISH on last day.:O FISH over hunting.....what a dope.:rolleyes:

Turned out good with last minute fish; blind squirrel finds an acorn. Actually I held my own on catfish on chunk bait as that's what I dick around with most in Hudson.

Link to more pics in OP at last line.....I need to add birds but shot RAW and need friend to help process pics yet.

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

After I get my moose trip out of the way in 2 years I’m heading to the Amazon to fish, after catching a few peacocks in south Florida a few years ago I can’t wait to catch them in their native waters!

Might be good timing....I have a few pokers in the fire next few years. Asia hunt /fish trip will complete all 6 continents for hunting/ fishing them for me; then I may repeat a few things here and there.

If I can get a group of 4 together; can get a very nice deal for everyone as a repeat customer and booking a group. 

Almost stayed the extra week; but my dog is struggling a bit being in kennel extended periods now, and wanted to get home.

Before flying to Brazil I fished for Peacock and Smallies in Miami canals with internet friend from there and had a nice time for a few days.

Only because you have a great sense of humor, and you can punch me in the nuts at the CNY Beer Meet & Greet!

Is he allowed to get a custom made steel hand made with the punching power of Mike Tyson before he throws the punch at your nuts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1