Forgetting to Report

Five Seasons

Neighbor  shot a deer opening day dropped it off for processing.  Hopped a plane for anniversary  trip next day . Brother picked up meat . Guy gets home doesn't think a thing about . A few months later dec is knocking  at the door. Tells him he is subject to a fine for not reporting. Let him report late . They do check I. Guess if they want to they can come after you.

I didn't report  for years because I would forget. Then I would remember after the fact . After my neighbors incident  I report in 24 hours or so. I do it on the phone. System can be a pain when using some of the town names. The way the local town names are pronounced  verses their voice recognition. 

• Like 1

I didn't report  for years because I would forget. Then I would remember after the fact . After my neighbors incident  I report in 24 hours or so. I do it on the phone. System can be a pain when using some of the town names. The way the local town names are pronounced  verses their voice recognition. 

I’ve also noticed if you say the name of a village or hamlet within a town it reverts back to the larger town which I guess is ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

yup here it's Hoosick. say it differently doesn't help if you slow your speech down to the point you sound like an asshole making fun of someone then it works just fine. lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If you want to know what happens to non-reporters in prison just watch a couple seasons of Oz on HBO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

if you report late though they've got you. then your like that poor guy Juice from Sons of Anarchy when he went to prison.

• Haha 1

I would take my chance in court. An honest judge is going to look at merit of reporting late  rather than not reporting. I would make the officer look like a money grubbing douche with no heart. A mistake is just that. Honestly l understand it's a tool to try to manage the deer herd. But I personally think it's an over  reach to fine on first defined offence rather.than a written and documented  warning.

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

IRC, when reporting a harvest online the DEC already has your tag #s you purchased displayed. Maybe not..!?! All this reporting is for is so the DEC can compile data for the annual harvest report.

With only ~45% of hunter actually reporting harvests, you're in the majority at least!! Meaning-  you'd have a lot of common jailhouse conversations if every un-reported harvest were prosecuted.

you're correct about the online reporting. Much easier than the painful phone system. As far as reporting goes, I've always reported, my question was more geared around the fact that I forgot to report within the 7 day window and by reporting late, "technically" i'm knowingly committing a violation. But as many others have said, I'm now convinced it's still the right thing to do.

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Coworker shot a nice buck a couple of years ago and dropped it off unreported at his taxidermist. Almost a year later got a call from an Encon officer who then met him at his house to give him his ticket. Encon officer was at the taxi shop checking tags from the previous year's season. I forgot what the fine was, maybe $200?

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8316.html

harvdoyouknow.jpg

11 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

report it, You are fine being late. They just want the data. For those that don't report you should be aware that they routinely surf social media pages looking for information on harvests and  cross reference back to the reporting. I know a guy that got pinched that way. 

i'm glad to see more and more of these stories. Seems that many hunt for less than the right reasons, and "bragging" being one of their biggest motivators. I decided after last year that I was done with posting deer pics on social media and the net. Just seems that there are no benefits to it and only potential negatives. 

31 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

report it, You are fine being late. They just want the data. For those that don't report you should be aware that they routinely surf social media pages looking for information on harvests and  cross reference back to the reporting. I know a guy that got pinched that way. 

those are our favorite poachers.... one's that brag on social media and/or at bars. lol situation that you said makes sense.

CT has a good system. You call deer in first, get a confirmation # and put that # on your tag.

Do you hunt CT? Worth it in terms of opportunity for a public land hunter? Always wondered as I pretty much live on the border.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Do you hunt CT? Worth it in terms of opportunity for a public land hunter? Always wondered as I pretty much live on the border.

I hunted private in 2013, that’s it.

2 hours ago, tarheel95 said:

Ive hunted near Cornwall Bridge on stateland. Frankly I see more deer there then here where I am in Dutchess and its closer then driving into Catskills for me.

Didn't go this year but had a job over there last year and went several times and learned a bit about the property; enough to see some deer but just couldn't get a shot lane clear.(bow)

Ive hunted near Cornwall Bridge on stateland. Frankly I see more deer there then here where I am in Dutchess and its closer then driving into Catskills for me.
Didn't go this year but had a job over there last year and went several times and learned a bit about the property; enough to see some deer but just couldn't get a shot lane clear.(bow)
Thanks. Not too far away from me. May give it a look next year.