Forgetting to Report

Five Seasons

1 hour ago, Belo said:

So lets say someone was busy and forgot to report their harvest within 7 days, but knows this information is valuable to the state and wants to report it.

What is one to do?

they want the information but sooner the better as final numbers are chugged, then compiled, and then published. it's a long process. by asking the question now i'd say report it anyway.

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

lol i do the same thing.  Have them in a box.  But always wondered how long i have to keep them for.  Til the meats gone?  lol 

9 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have almost every tag Ive ever filled in my garage. No idea why Ive always kept them.

either of you write down a confirmation number from your reporting? i used to but haven't kept them in awhile. moving i've realized i keep too much. plus i really don't keep a tally of deer i killed. some do. i couldn't tell you. i know it's probably a lot for around here.

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

either of you write down a confirmation number from your reporting? i used to but haven't kept them in awhile. moving i've realized i keep too much. plus i really don't keep a tally of deer i killed. some do. i couldn't tell you. i know it's probably a lot for around here.

No

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

yeah for the buck i am having mounted i made copies and took a pic as well.  Cause i needed to have a tag on the head for the taxi .  Since my tag was with that i made copies for me just in case.  

Just a FWIW....

If stopped by DEC in the field somewhere; say fishing next spring and they ask how you did during deer season; you'd better remember to keep your mouth shut if you are not reporting.

They will give you a ticket for failure to report as they can field check that right on the spot.

• Like 1

So lets say someone was busy and forgot to report their harvest within 7 days, but knows this information is valuable to the state and wants to report it.
What is one to do?

Bad bad man you should be punished! Call dec and turn your self in. Sounds like a major poaching operation to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are these tags you guys speak about? Reporting? Is that the same as a back tag that I don’t wear on my back(it’s just a coincidental name right)? If I am hunting private, posted land(not mine but somebody else’s who rarely visits it) there are no seasons right-shoot what you want(30 min before or after legal light)?

I kid- I call in mine as the blood is still tacky and I NEVER cut off the mattress tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I just called mine in today I shot him Monday what happened I took him home and butchered him but the tag had blood on it and I couldn't read 2 numbers and I left my tags with my back tag upstate so when I went back to hunt I forgot to take the  with me[duh!!!] so I didn't know what take I had 60.62 59 so when I got back last nite i tried to call it in well their automated system sucks and it directed me to a rep but the office was closed and I did it today. You know im watching waaayy too much north woods law im so paranoid that I write the wrong thing and have a c/o knocking on my door . But to my surprise the lady was really nice and guided me trough it. I really don't see a problem , I thought she was going to give me a hard time as to why I waited so long but I told her the story and she was very understanding I think the most important thing is that at lest you reported it

• Like 2

IRC, when reporting a harvest online the DEC already has your tag #s you purchased displayed. Maybe not..!?! All this reporting is for is so the DEC can compile data for the annual harvest report.

With only ~45% of hunter actually reporting harvests, you're in the majority at least!! Meaning-  you'd have a lot of common jailhouse conversations if every un-reported harvest were prosecuted.

JMO, you'd have to have a very bad reputation or being snitched upon to have the DEC actually come knocking on your door. I've taken lots of deer to a local processor and the DEC does routinely visit & inspect the tags vs what's been dropped off. In my haste, guess 1-2X I never got around to officially report those deer. Not once has the DEC knocked at my door! Were talking about the NYS DEC, not the FBI, CIA, NSA...

Coworker shot a nice buck a couple of years ago and dropped it off unreported at his taxidermist. Almost a year later got a call from an Encon officer who then met him at his house to give him his ticket. Encon officer was at the taxi shop checking tags from the previous year's season. I forgot what the fine was, maybe $200?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Coworker shot a nice buck a couple of years ago and dropped it off unreported at his taxidermist. Almost a year later got a call from an Encon officer who then met him at his house to give him his ticket. Encon officer was at the taxi shop checking tags from the previous year's season. I forgot what the fine was, maybe $200?

Interesting, good to know.