Why is a Rem 700 better than a Ruger American?

jmark

I have a 700 in 30-06 in wood-tech which is synthetic looking wood... Kinda cool looking and lightweight... Shoots great. Quite honestly if i had a $500 budget I would go for a Savage trophy hunter... My friend shoots it.. Has a nice trigger and bolt... If you can get that with a Nikon BDC for under 500 that's a real quality combo...

On 11/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, bugsNbows said:

Ruger American's are entry level guns. Not interested. 

there are some interesting write ups about these "entry level" rifles that most major manufacturers offer. Essentially the long and short of it is that their accuracy is all within a cat's whisker of the more expensive rigs and if all you're doing is hunting, not competitive shooting you should really need nothing else. Of course, guys who spend a ton on their rigs don't like to hear this, so you can argue a few ounces saved on a fluted barrel and what not, but at the end of the day I highly encourage people to spend their money on the optics.

all that said, I have an american and it shoots great. My only issue is the plastic mag. I'm still amazed that there isn't an aftermarket solution. Ruger replaced the original free of charge because the bullets would not "pop up" and the replacement occasionally does the same.

I will also add that this same rule does not apply to shotguns and pistols for me. The fit and finish between my ruger lcp and my kimber 1911 is night and day and of course i expected that. Same with my browning shotgun and my mossberg. But a bolt action rifle? eh.

Edited by Belo

22 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

I support American jobs when I buy Leupold..

i've only had nikons and leupolds, but at the price point the average deer hunter should look no further than the vx-2. Awesome scope at a good price. Me, always wanting a little better than necessary put a vx-3 on mine and I love it as well. But I will also add that I'm not western hunting where a more expensive optic would be warranted. I consider the vx-3 at >$300 pretty expensive as it is haha.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

there are some interesting write ups about these "entry level" rifles that most major manufacturers offer. Essentially the long and short of it is that their accuracy is all within a cat's whisker of the more expensive rigs and if all you're doing is hunting, not competitive shooting you should really need nothing else. Of course, guys who spend a ton on their rigs don't like to hear this, so you can argue a few ounces saved on a fluted barrel and what not, but at the end of the day I highly encourage people to spend their money on the optics.

all that said, I have an american and it shoots great. My only issue is the plastic mag. I'm still amazed that there isn't an aftermarket solution. Ruger replaced the original free of charge because the bullets would not "pop up" and the replacement occasionally does the same.

I will also add that this same rule does not apply to shotguns and pistols for me. The fit and finish between my ruger lcp and my kimber 1911 is night and day and of course i expected that. Same with my browning shotgun and my mossberg. But a bolt action rifle? eh.

Not disputing your statements, however, I'd rather save for a nice gun. I'm too old and cranky to mess with the entry level stuff. BTDT.