Early hard winter?

Robhuntandfish

geeze - didnt even get the leaves raked before this year hit.  We had a long winter that stretched into spring last year and already off to a tough start.  Below zero for the first time in November on record, already had a snow day at work, no indian summer whatsoever. This isnt shaping up to be a light winter.  Was thinking it might be with all the fall rain and wind etc.  Hoping this trend/pattern breaks soon.  

• Like 5

I gotta agree with ya Rob. 

This has been the worst weather, hunting season, I can remember in a long time. From mid September, to now, rain and more rain, wind gusts over 50mph, snow piling up, with some ice thrown in too. 

This has certainly added a challenge to the hunt this year. At least it has on our properties, by flooding out some traditional bedding and feeding areas. Forcing the deer, and us, to constantly adjust to the ever changing conditions.

After deer season, we like to predator hunt. That will be very difficult if the snow really piles up! 

Nothing we can do about the weather. Enjoy it when it's good. Grin and bare it, when it's not.

Right now, it looks to be a LONG winter.......

• Like 2

x1000. Its not even December and I have plowed at work 4 times. Sick of it already and haven't even gone snowmobiling yet. To me a perfect winter would be snow from Lake George North and Sacandaga Lake west and north and nothing in the capital region. Plenty of snow to go visit...none to deal with...

• Like 1

Old fashion winter, the kind I remember back in the fifties, snow would pile up and the wind would blow it into massive snow drifts.  Large ice storms would break many trees down along with electrical poles and wires.  To get your deer, means hard walking, braving the cold and hunting using everything in your arsenal.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lone Silver Wolf said:

Old fashion winter, the kind I remember back in the fifties, snow would pile up and the wind would blow it into massive snow drifts.  Large ice storms would break many trees down along with electrical poles and wires.  To get your deer, means hard walking, braving the cold and hunting using everything in your arsenal.

Yeah, I remember back in the fifties also... However, generally the severe weather did not really start until December....This is about the crappiest deer season that I remember, weather wise, and I ain't no spring chicken...

• Like 4

I will agree with wishing the temps were a little colder so the snow was light instead of a sloppy mess.  I love winter, but like the lakes to freeze up with solid, black ice like last year. The driving through slop and having to clean it up after work is not fun at all.

This year has been my year to be wet in the stand, whether it be rain or snow. Saturday I got a little greedy thinking the rain was going to hold off. Nope, I was soaked almost through by about 4:00. I'm pretty good about not getting cold, but that was the second time this year I have been cold sitting on stand.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, grampy said:

I gotta agree with ya Rob. 

This has been the worst weather, hunting season, I can remember in a long time. From mid September, to now, rain and more rain, wind gusts over 50mph, snow piling up, with some ice thrown in too. 

This has certainly added a challenge to the hunt this year. At least it has on our properties, by flooding out some traditional bedding and feeding areas. Forcing the deer, and us, to constantly adjust to the ever changing conditions.

After deer season, we like to predator hunt. That will be very difficult if the snow really piles up! 

Nothing we can do about the weather. Enjoy it when it's good. Grin and bare it, when it's not.

Right now, it looks to be a LONG winter.......

forecasters were off for last night so we dodged it a bit - whew.  

but i am off to hunt tomorrow and one side of our lease is basically under water at this point.  Hoping it forces them to other side more cause thats our plan for tomorrow 

13 hours ago, Steve D said:

2018-19winter.jpg

I read an article from the Farmers almanac back in October or September, predicting what our winter would do for us.. It stated that temps would be above average and plentiful precipitation. And another source(cant remember which) stated it would be cold and snowy.. Lol.  

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

It stated that temps would be above average and plentiful precipitation And another source(cant remember which) stated it would be cold and snowy.. Lol.  

That would make them right one way or another. Gotta love weather predictors:danced:

• Like 1

I have been patiently waiting to go out and hit the crows and pigeons but do not usually hunt them until deer season ends. I promise the farmers I will not disturb their deer hunting. Others don’t care but I do not want to ruin other deer hunters hunting. If it keeps up like this it will be very difficult to hit some of my fav spots.