How accurate were these old range finders

Hunter007

I have an old 1000 yard ranging range finder like the one pictured below and back in the day they were about the only ranging device available. They claimed 99% accuracy at 100 yards and the accuracy percentages went down as the distances increased. Out to say 400 to 500 yards they were accurate enough to make good range estimation for a shooter and rifle that was capable of such shots in the field. Used it mostly for chuck hunting. One of the good features was the sighting monocular is of good optical quality, detachable and like a binocular can be used stand alone for identifying things at a distance. When I want to travel light in the field I still use the monocular on occasion today.

I have not messed around with mine in a good many years and have never tested it side by side against my Bushnell Legend laser range finder but I can say with some certainty the modern laser is better all the way around. Smaller and lighter, much easier to use and more accurate especially at long distances.

Al

2018-11-27_114647.png

Edited by airedale