Give King Andy your Facebook Password

XGX7PM

I think they're just pushing to see how far they can go. I think they are disguising authoritarian government control under the guise of public safety and the problem is that most people will find it acceptable.

I don't see how that piece of legislation makes it past constitutional scrutiny. There are 1st, 4th, and 5th amendment violations written into the legislation. I understand why they think it will help stop these incidents, and, quite frankly, it actually might, but the constitutional violations and the slippery slope into authoritarian government control this could/would start is scary. 

23 hours ago, pitweiler said:

I don't see how that piece of legislation makes it past constitutional scrutiny

Because SCOTUS or other lower federal courts don't give pre-approval to a law being passed. Rather the law is implemented then someone or some entity files in court that their rights have been violated. It has to be brought through the system and up to SCOTUS level if lower courts keep upholding the assumed constitutionally violating law. Then SCOTUS can always decline hearing the case.

I and many of you believe the NY-SAFE act violates our rights. But it's been over 5 years now. NYSRPA had a case making it's way up the system and then pulled back when Scalia passed away. Crickets since then, and here we are living in the USA with what we feel are our constitutional right violated. 

Bottom line, Cuomo doesn't care about any constitutional scrutiny. That's why we'll probably get SAFE ACT II after the next shooting.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Because SCOTUS or other lower federal courts don't give pre-approval to a law being passed. Rather the law is implemented then someone or some entity files in court that their rights have been violated. It has to be brought through the system and up to SCOTUS level if lower courts keep upholding the assumed constitutionally violating law. Then SCOTUS can always decline hearing the case.

I and many of you believe the NY-SAFE act violates our rights. But it's been over 5 years now. NYSRPA had a case making it's way up the system and then pulled back when Scalia passed away. Crickets since then, and here we are living in the USA with what we feel are our constitutional right violated. 

Bottom line, Cuomo doesn't care about any constitutional scrutiny. That's why we'll probably get SAFE ACT II after the next shooting.

100% right , only thing I disagree with  is I think we’re going up get round two of safe act very soon. No shooting needed. 

• Like 1