Ticks

wolc123

Anyone seeing any on the deer this year ?   I just completed skinning my fourth one and have yet to find a tick on one.  Two of those were from an Allegheny county town, where I have found a few while skinning deer in years past.  The other two were from an Erie county town, where I have never found any.  One from each spot was a 6 month old (bb and doe) and were skinned the day after they were killed.  The other two were mature bucks that were skinned over a week after they were killed (hung with hides on and temperature in the mid 30'3 to low 40's).  Maybe the colder weather this fall has kept them in check.  Next weekend, I will probably head up to the Northern zone town where I found hundreds on the last one I brought home.   I will never bring another one home from there, to process myself, for that reason.  I will have to ask the processor if they find any.      

Edited by wolc123

I've rarely found ticks on my deer, maybe a dozen times, and not in a few years. I do see keds on just about all my deer though. Maybe they're big ticks or probably I can't tell the difference, lol. 

Two years ago I was driving back from dropping deer at the processor, and kept feeling a tickle on my neck like a tag from the shirt or something. After a few times, I moved the rear view mirror to see what it was, and saw a ked crawling right by my hairline. Was glad there was no one around to see my reaction although there may have been some swerving. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Mendon is loaded.  Pygmy quickly identified "a few" on his double.  lol

I carried a couple home from Mendon last year!......lol

I noticed a few on my buck from last week. But not as many as I've seen on deer in the past. 

Have not found one on me this year either. But I was really strict about keeping everything treated with Sawyers.

• Like 1

I found 1 tick on the doe I shot opening day.  Last year the doe i shot on October 1 was loaded, just crawling with them.  The my dad and I were tracking a wounded buck on November 3rd, I pulled 40 plus ticks off him.  Then we had that hard freeze weekend Nov 11th, haven't had a tick on me since.  Not one.  I think there was a high of 10 both those days and it just decimated the tick population up there.

25 years of killing deer and butchering my own for 20 of them. 5 to 7 deer a year.and I have not found a tick on any..keds yes ticks no..  but the temps by me get gold at least a few days in negative degrees for day and nights. That is biggest factor I believe... though I have had friends in the area show me the ticks they have on their deer only to have to explain the difference between keds  and ticks to them.

When I first started hunting I didn't know the difference between a ked and a tick and always thought the deer were loaded with ticks when it was actually Keds. Shortly there after I figured it out and either way they both still give me the heeby jeebys. I used to turkey hunt in the fall in Potter county PA and on any warm drizzly day I would find Keds in my beard, it FREAKED me out so bad I wouldn't go in that weather any more!

Buck I killed in early November was loaded with them. After the Thanksgiving cold snap in lower NY I took a doe that didn't seem to have a single one.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Southeastern NY is loaded with them. Before I started treated clothes with Permethrin, I’d pull 20-30 off my clothes easily on warm hunting day. 99% deer ticks and the random dog tick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk