Why.....why do you stay?

Robhuntandfish

I stay for family, job, continuity for kids, the four seasons, solid hunting and fishing.  Don't like the politics or taxes.  Would I ever move - maybe at some point but not likely until retirement and it may depend on the kids.  But Grampy's idea of NC sounds pretty darn good.  lol

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

Have looked - at a few small towns in Tennessee through online info.  Would have to have a job with benefits, not a lot of money, but a decent place to hunt and fish for sure.  Might have to do a road trip someday.   

A gentleman my dad, and I knew from upstate, actually moved to Tennessee recently.  He loves it, has some land, etc, and the difference in weather, is much better for his bad back.  Another family friend, had a broken back also, he is moving to Texas in a few weeks.  

While I completely disagree with the politics of the great state of NY there isn't much else I don't like about it. My family and friends are here. While I complain about dealing with the snow one of my favorite things to do is snowmobile. This state has so much to offer. I live about 5 minutes from Saratoga which is great for going out for the night. Can have the boat launched on Sacandaga Lake or Lake George in about 30 minutes and Saratoga Lake in 10 or 15 minutes. I can snowmobile from my house or take it to the Adirondacks and Canada. I have a great group of guys I hunt with on a lease that produces some nice deer. My daughter is in a school I am happy with , is involved in a great soccer program and my wife and I both have decent paying jobs. When I get closer to retirement I will have to see where my daughter has settled and health of my parents etc. I am sure moving to a different state with a much lower cost of living might be a smarter way to spend my retirement. I don't know at this time if it will shake out that way. 

• Like 2

i had interviews out of state but it didn't feel like home.. also, the trip back to NY to visit would've been tough... also, my sicilian grandparents helped raised me and they're still alive today.. my grandpa is 94 and my grandma is 88.. that was a dealbreaker right there, i wasn't going to leave family

• Like 2

I have to say that there is good and bad everywhere you go. I grew up in northern Germany until i was 24,then traveled on the west coast and met my wife there,which is from uostste new york and that is how i settled here. 

The state is beautiful ,so varied and interesting. If one enjoys the outdoors it is hard to not love NY.

When i was in Oregon i bicycled from the coast to the Willamette valley,about 85 miles,and there is nothing between the two but woods. I came through two villages,both with under 10 houses. 

That was mindblowing for someone growing up in germany. Ny and PA combined are about the size of germany,but there's 90 million people in germany now. It is so much more crowded there,even NY seems like a wide open state. 

One just has to figure out  what is the most important and decide from there.

44 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I stay for family, job, continuity for kids, the four seasons, solid hunting and fishing.  Don't like the politics or taxes.  Would I ever move - maybe at some point but not likely until retirement and it may depend on the kids.  But Grampy's idea of NC sounds pretty darn good.  lol

Would love to have you as a neighbor some day!!!

And my door will always be open to you for a visit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You guys have hit my key points. This states politics and taxes just plain suck. Winter as I get older gets a bit much as well. From Jan 1 to April 1 It's a freakin dead time. Small game seasons are open but truthfully the snow is usually too deep to bother. I also do not ski, snowmobile or ice fish.

That said this is one freaking beautiful state! We are bordering the biggest fresh water source in the world, that becomes more important all the time. We also have a very limited chance of any natural disasters. The hunting and fishing opportunities are unparalleled. Yes some state have bigger game or better this or that but not the available species and public land together. We have for the most part great schools and colleges. And the cost of land and houses upstate is still some of the best in the country.

There are all trade offs. My family is predominately here and I have lived here 50 plus years. Its home lol. That said Tennessee, Kentucky and Carolinas have all caught my eye. I kinda like the idea of spending a few months south after I retire.

Ny is an awesome place to live when you have money and time. Can afford to do pretty much whatever and cover the states stupidity. Time let's you enjoy the seasons, say to enjoy all of the long hunting season and being able to choose what days of winter you care to go out and enjoy. Hence the reason the young are running from this state asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm from the South - grew up in NC, went to college there.  Moved to NY for grad school, then law school.  Then stayed for work.  Lived in Manhattan for 17 years, having an absolute blast, chasing girls, late night cafes, etc.  Met a girl, fell in love, married, moved to the burbs.  Typical story.  Hated the burbs.  It's now years later, and I still hate the burbs.  But my kids go to good schools and have many opportunities.  I've run my own shop for 20 years now, have a solid client base, and control my schedule.  It would be very difficult to reproduce that anywhere else.  

Plus, I know that there is no Utopia.  Yes, the southern states have a lot to offer.  There are also lots of problems.  And as with many places, although people may be "nice" to you, you may find that you remain an outsider, forever.  I visit NC often (family), and I can tell ya, not only are there the inherent problems, but much of the South is now overrun with Damn Yankees, who are changing things.  It's a common refrain there - they hated the North, so they moved South, and immediately started reshaping the South to be like the North.  

Florida... uh, well, I would say don't make plans until you have really spent some time there.  

I drove up thru the NC mountains with my son last year, a leisurely ride of several days through country I have always loved.  One of the things he said was, "Wow, dad, this is just as pretty as upstate New York."  I had to laugh.  But it's true, NY has a lot to offer.  More publicly owned land than any other state.  Beautiful mountains, lakes, rivers, farms, winding country roads.  The weather doesn't bother me.  We go skiing.  The gun laws suck, and I support all the major and local 2M advocacy groups.  But the truth is, I never had much interest in AR's anyway, I love a fine, aesthetically pleasing, traditional bolt action rifle.  I think it's a fairly safe bet those aren't going anywhere.

Be sure what you're doing before you yank up roots and head South.  I know more than one person who has ended up regretting it.

Edited by jmark
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jmark said:

the South is now overrun with Damn Yankees, who are changing things.  It's a common refrain there - they hated the North, so they moved South, and immediately started reshaping the South to be like the North.  

been talking to a lot of people about this when you look at the current state of texas and western states like colorado. It boggles my mind that people leave because they don't like where they're at, only to bring their same political views with them...

Those mountains are indeed beautiful.  Most beautiful in North America, to my eyes.  But yeah, there's a lot going on in those hills.  Now and then you read about someone stumbling on a marijuana crop and disappearing.  Stills, meth, and frankly a fair number of people who are just "off the grid" both physically and mentally.  Not to sound paranoid - I always get a kick out of the crazy hillbillies in "Deliverance" - but I've spent a lot of time in those mountains.  GA, NC, TN, SC, and some in VA and WV.  Hiked sections of the AT, and a lot of more remote areas (some are now much less remote, like Nantahala and Pisgah, which are overrun with people).  Paddled the rivers.  Camped winter and summer off trail.  And I'm telling you straight out - I would be very careful where I wandered in those hills.  And being armed won't help you one bit if you stumble into the wrong place.  

Edited by jmark

Born in NY. Went to college in NC. Graduate school in MA. Have lived in VA, MD and CT. Driven across country a few times and visited most of the lower 48 (missing Pacific NW and upper Midwest).

Wife and I have settled and raised our kids in NY. My primary reason. Can't get good rye bread or pizza anywhere else.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't care for taxes, but I have to keep working, and the grass is greener seems to be the case for me.

Can't compete with Latino workers in the Southwest, and have not much interest in low population states of the west as there is not enough work; and if there is enough work, cost of living is actually on par with what I have now.

After travelling a bit the proximity to 6 major airports all with in 1 to 1 1/2 hours of me is not a drawback. Fishing and hunting opportunities are good, like the change of seasons though the winter can be longer then wanted.

Wife and I are on the tail end of our jobs so not financially smart to leave and start over. But living in the finger lakes area We love it here in upstate. We like the change of seasons, and there’s lots of things for us outdoor types to do. But having said that when we retire we will be moving.