Why.....why do you stay?

Robhuntandfish

21 minutes ago, jmark said:

Those mountains are indeed beautiful.  Most beautiful in North America, to my eyes.  But yeah, there's a lot going on in those hills.  Now and then you read about someone stumbling on a marijuana crop and disappearing.  Stills, meth, and frankly a fair number of people who are just "off the grid" both physically and mentally.  Not to sound paranoid - I always get a kick out of the crazy hillbillies in "Deliverance" - but I've spent a lot of time in those mountains.  GA, NC, TN, SC, and some in VA and WV.  Hiked sections of the AT, and a lot of more remote areas (some are now much less remote, like Nantahala and Pisgah, which are overrun with people).  Paddled the rivers.  Camped winter and summer off trail.  And I'm telling you straight out - I would be very careful where I wandered in those hills.  And being armed won't help you one bit if you stumble into the wrong place.  

There are a LOT of off the grid hillbillies in PA & NY also, they don't call it "Pennsyltucky" for nothing. It is all relative.

Simple new york is always new york go anyplace in the world they know new york say you are from Most other parts of USA they have no idea .

And it's easily one of the most beautiful states in the country with water mountains and green forests .

That is why we get the shaft with taxes here they got you between a rock and a hard place .

Other place yes have lower taxes better politics. 

But most are just not as nice in all other ways besides that .

55 minutes ago, jmark said:

Those mountains are indeed beautiful.  Most beautiful in North America, to my eyes.  But yeah, there's a lot going on in those hills.  Now and then you read about someone stumbling on a marijuana crop and disappearing.  Stills, meth, and frankly a fair number of people who are just "off the grid" both physically and mentally.  Not to sound paranoid - I always get a kick out of the crazy hillbillies in "Deliverance" - but I've spent a lot of time in those mountains.  GA, NC, TN, SC, and some in VA and WV.  Hiked sections of the AT, and a lot of more remote areas (some are now much less remote, like Nantahala and Pisgah, which are overrun with people).  Paddled the rivers.  Camped winter and summer off trail.  And I'm telling you straight out - I would be very careful where I wandered in those hills.  And being armed won't help you one bit if you stumble into the wrong place.  

I've hiked Pisgah NF extensively, along with many of the others on your list. Along with about 200 miles of the AT. But I have to say, I've met up with more "off the grid" people, in my travels to NYC, and other large cities, than I ever have in the backwoods.  

Not to say, I've never met any "characters" while in the backwoods south, I certainly have. But that is part of the allure for me, not a deterrent. 

I identify more with backwoods than big city.

• Like 3

Love the Adirondacks, hate the taxes and politics!  However, my daughter's mother will not cooperate on custody at all if I move now.  So it looks like another 5 years hard time in Newyorkistan for me.

On the plus side, I spend a lot of time in my professional life advising people on retirement plans and tax shelter strategies.  Needless to say, there is no shortage of New Yorkers who want to pay less taxes. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Georgia? I watched a documentary on meth and how much of it is made in the hills of Georgia. Really gross stuff.

Not surprising, but TN is worse. Obviously, one needs to be mindful and careful where one wanders. It also doesn't hurt to carry something for protection. I use a Ruger SP101 loaded with some hot stuff!!!

5 hours ago, grampy said:

Five more years and I'll retire. The grandkids will be off on their own. MIL is 85 and will most likely be joined with my FIL then. I'm looking at some property outside Brevard NC. (not too far from Ashville) At the foot of the Smokies. Will still have four seasons, and even "some" snow. But I'll be seeing green grass in March, and winter won't be five months long there. Some great hunting and fishing in the area. Gun laws are sensible, and taxes are about half of what we pay here.

I did a lot of hiking and exploring in this area, when I lived in Charleston SC in my younger days. I still have friends there. This is where my bones will lie. My lifelong friend is thinking about coming too. He retires next year.

I grew up here. There is a lot that binds me to this place. But the liberals and taxes are pushing me out. 

One of my favorite movies is Last of the Mohicans.  Knowing that the movie is set in the Adirondacks, it was pretty surprising to see NC listed in the credits for the filming location!  I've got to do some hiking down there sometime, the scenery is spectacular. :good:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I've hiked Pisgah NF extensively, along with many of the others on your list. Along with about 200 miles of the AT. But I have to say, I've met up with more "off the grid" people, in my travels to NYC, and other large cities, than I ever have in the backwoods.  

Not to say, I've never met any "characters" while in the backwoods south, I certainly have. But that is part of the allure for me, not a deterrent. 

I identify more with backwoods than big city.

LOL, yeah, but I didn't think we were comparing big metropolises to the backwoods.  :) 

I identify more with the backwoods, too.  That and rural farm areas (my family were farmers until the last couple of generations).  I'm just saying, you need to be aware of your surroundings, and what's "out there."  If you are and you know how to manage it, awesome.  But some people tend to romanticize things, and I think a lot of people "head South" for the weather (and the golf), and find things are not quite as they expected.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

Because there are few tornados. No hurricanes or wildfires. The hunting season is long! Usually the 4 seasons are nice. And very few poisonous snakes or spiders! The landscape is nice away from the city's. Taxes suck. But I just they get u anywhere u go one way or another 

Lets pick up this convo this time next year when we have single payer in NYS, a $15/hr min. wage and  the taxes get jacked through the roof to support it all  and what small businesses are left are run out of the state.

Oh, and did I forget to mention SAFE ACT 2?

• Like 2

Cabin Fever , I get that , wish we broke the cycle when the kids were born . My nephew did , and did well in Tenn. now his kids will start their  life there. 

His parents  ,my sister and bil are doing fine if that changes there are others her to step up, or he can move them down .

Because it is a meat-hunter's paradise.   I can't even imagine another state where it would be half as easy to live a subsistance lifestyle, off the fat of the woodlands and waters,  and none have a better climate or scenery (I can take the cold a lot better than the heat).   Watching them reality shows from Alaska, it looks like even those folks usually struggle to get enough meat to last thru the winter.   I am thankful for our high taxes, and semi-disfunctional politics.   Without that, the traffic would be a lot worse on the roads and the competition would be much greater for our abundant fish and wildlife.  Some of that tax money goes towards feeding the poor, disabled, and elderly and I have no problem with that.   The gun laws don't bother me because I have little use for a semi-auto or pistol anyhow.  I would be happy with a bolt-action if they ever come for my Ruger 10/22.    Heaven will be, but certainly no place on earth will be better than living in upstate NY.    Those who are thinking the grass is greener someplace else might be in for a rude awakening.   

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am thankful for our high taxes, and semi-disfunctional politics.   Without that, the traffic would be a lot worse on the roads and the competition would be much greater for our abundant fish and wildlife.  Some of that tax money goes towards feeding the poor, disabled, and elderly and I have no problem with that.   The gun laws don't bother me because I have little use for a semi-auto or pistol anyhow. 

You must of voted for Cuomo :mad:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

none have a better climate or scenery 

You need to do spend some serious time traveling around the country, for the last three months it has rained or snowed just about every day and winter ain't even here yet.

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Hate the political climate and the SAFE act- but what little family I have is here, have 4 years to be fully vested in my pension, and am a creature of habit-never livee anywhere else. 

Still, the thought of a more conservative state appeals to me. May reconsider when I retire.

Will

My kids and my wife leave her mom. If it wasnt for them being established in schools here ide be down south. Ive got family here and down there.  It took every ounce of energy for me to drive back up from the carolinas last year on vacation. I did not want to come back.  We thought about it when we first got together but we didnt have enough money to take the jump and or risk.

Own too much land and way to many years of work on it. 25 years of habitat work. Almost 500 deer taken off the property. Countless turkey , a few bear, not to mention grouse, crow, squirrels. Tens of thousands of trees and shrubs planted.  I've seen trees I started from a nut grow and produce their own nuts. Apple trees from whips to 6in thick producing bushels of apples... to late to start over someplace else.. 

nephews and niece and family will hopefully enjoy the fruit of my labor for many more years...

• Like 9

This state has a lot to offer for outdoor minded people. Some great hunting and fishing, there are some awesome hiking trails in this state, and there's some great camping as well. 

Right now, what keeps me here?

My wife!

After the re-election of Cuomo, I started looking hard at moving to Maine. The wife thought I was kidding, I wasn't. I was informed she isn't moving. So here I am. I hate the taxes, politics, and gun laws in this MF'n state! Looks I'm not going anywhere though. At this time! Cuomo makes a run for POTUS, I may just haul ass out of this country, with or without the wife.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob... said:

This state has a lot to offer for outdoor minded people. Some great hunting and fishing, there are some awesome hiking trails in this state, and there's some great camping as well. 

Right now, what keeps me here?

My wife!

After the re-election of Cuomo, I started looking hard at moving to Maine. The wife thought I was kidding, I wasn't. I was informed she isn't moving. So here I am. I hate the taxes, politics, and gun laws in this MF'n state! Looks I'm not going anywhere though. At this time! Cuomo makes a run for POTUS, I may just haul ass out of this country, with or without the wife.

Kokadjo, Maine.

I like maine,but the mosquitoes there are no joke. One summer i went fishing on a trout stream in the evening north of augusta,and i had to flee. Those things bit through my shirt and there were thousands of them. I got nervous that they would carry me off. 

When i got back to the house my wife could not believe that i returned so quickly. Oh and i was using bug spray as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BowmanMike said:

I like maine,but the mosquitoes there are no joke. One summer i went fishing on a trout stream in the evening north of augusta,and i had to flee. Those things bit through my shirt and there were thousands of them. I got nervous that they would carry me off. 

When i got back to the house my wife could not believe that i returned so quickly. Oh and i was using bug spray as well.

I'll take bugs over the mass slaughter on my 2A rights anytime. There are ways to deal with bugs, but it seems Cuomo is impervious to anything.

3 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I hear you, but I would rather deal with that than society to be completely honest. :good:

I will admit ny is a beautiful state but soon as my kids are out of high school I am going back to north FL or Mississippi,I agreed to move here for the schools for my kids.   The hunting here is great compared to sw florida(minus the hogs)but the cost of living is out of control,there is no way I could justify the costs to live here once the kids are no longer in school.  The gun laws to me also are insane,after living most of my life in free states the gun laws here just baffle me.  I still cant get over having to register every handgun and having them listed on cards that I have to keep on me,has to be one of the dumbest laws ever conceived.  

• Like 2