Why.....why do you stay?

Robhuntandfish

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Because it is a meat-hunter's paradise.   I can't even imagine another state where it would be half as easy to live a subsistance lifestyle, off the fat of the woodlands and waters,  and none have a better climate or scenery (I can take the cold a lot better than the heat).   Watching them reality shows from Alaska, it looks like even those folks usually struggle to get enough meat to last thru the winter.   I am thankful for our high taxes, and semi-disfunctional politics.   Without that, the traffic would be a lot worse on the roads and the competition would be much greater for our abundant fish and wildlife.  Some of that tax money goes towards feeding the poor, disabled, and elderly and I have no problem with that.   The gun laws don't bother me because I have little use for a semi-auto or pistol anyhow.  I would be happy with a bolt-action if they ever come for my Ruger 10/22.    Heaven will be, but certainly no place on earth will be better than living in upstate NY.    Those who are thinking the grass is greener someplace else might be in for a rude awakening.   

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you think that because you don't care about semi's and pistols you will be isolated from the coming gun restrictions you are horribly mistaken. Andrew has already promised a "red flag" law (the courts will take your guns at the drop of a hat if they think you are a danger) , you can expect to see gun storage laws where you will be expected to keep your guns under lock and key, you may be required to have liability insurance on your guns, you may be required to register that bolt action, and how do background checks on ammo purchases sound? Andy has also promised a ban on bump stocks. I'm sure they have other tricks up there sleeves. You can bet some of this stuff will be on the books by the end of January.

• Like 6

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you think that because you don't care about semi's and pistols you will be isolated from the coming gun restrictions you are horribly mistaken. Andrew has already promised a "red flag" law (the courts will take your guns at the drop of a hat if they think you are a danger) , you can expect to see gun storage laws where you will be expected to keep your guns under lock and key, you may be required to have liability insurance on your guns, you may be required to register that bolt action, and how do background checks on ammo purchases sound? Andy has also promised a ban on bump stocks. I'm sure they have other tricks up there sleeves. You can bet some of this stuff will be on the books by the end of January.

Don't worry... He will call the good Lord up above to save all his problems and to bless Andy in his hard times of tough decisions. Almost a waste of time reading posts from that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every piece of paradise comes with some negative aspects. If you get to the ideal weather location, typically heat/humidity, hurricanes &/or tornadoes are common place. JMO, rather watch the pile of snow I've pushed off to the side of my driveway melt than view my home as a pile of ruble after a severe weather event. Lot of places that have lower tax rates and more lenient gun laws, may not have a lot of job opportunities. Lot of pieces of heaven have artificially inflated cost of living expenses. After thinking about the Pacific coast, this demon reared its' ugly face. Probably a lot lower on your negative side of the moving matrix, some places have creepy, crawly, slithering creature that want to inject venom into you. Or maybe moving to a place where you're not the top predator.

If you're retired with a decent nest egg, it becomes a lot simpler decision. You're generally older and family are either gone or spread out across the country anyways. If you're still a working stiff, the decision of whether to more &/or to where become a lot more complicated. Of course, depending on your skill set or education. Believe other members that have posted have already brought up some of the trade-off scenarios.

I've also gone thru these fits of frustration and threatened to move many times in the past ~50yrs. Yet, here I am. My Garden of Eden eludes me! What's the next PowerBall payout??

Edited by nyslowhand

Leaving the state I love because I can't have an AR15 is nuts. I still have all the guns I need and carry concealed every day. Yep taxes are high but I've been to other states and from what I'm seeing NY has got them beat by a huge margin. The south has lots of evenly spread poverty so when you leave that really nice gated community with all NYers in it your going to see dirt assed Poo white and otherwise folk everywhere. Not to mention alot of these republican run shangrila states are crawling with stupid people and drugged up trash. NY has got it all. I like winter, I hate heat and the spring and falls are great. Could never live in a state with 6 months of oppressive heat every year.

Hunting here is awesome and the seasons are very liberal. Hell deer season will be over soon and in 4 quick months TURKEYS!

Now for the serious stuff. You get paid more in NY for whatever you do than anywhere else. The healthcare and education in NY is second to none. NY is leading the way in affordable quality healthcare. Your real estate is worth more here than anywhere else. 

I'm a realist and won't find myself sorry for leaving this state like to many others I know. I don't think just anyone should be able to buy a handgun and carry. I don't think the general public needs access to high capacity capable semi auto firearms. I won't live in a state where the NRA has your politicians bent over a barrel and stop legislation for things like stopping private sales of firearms to any nut who wants to buy one.

Yep I'll be staying right here in NY

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

Leaving the state I love because I can't have an AR15 is nuts. I still have all the guns I need and carry concealed every day. Yep taxes are high but I've been to other states and from what I'm seeing NY has got them beat by a huge margin. The south has lots of evenly spread poverty so when you leave that really nice gated community with all NYers in it your going to see dirt assed Poo white and otherwise folk everywhere. Not to mention alot of these republican run shangrila states are crawling with stupid people and drugged up trash. NY has got it all. I like winter, I hate heat and the spring and falls are great. Could never live in a state with 6 months of oppressive heat every year.

Hunting here is awesome and the seasons are very liberal. Hell deer season will be over soon and in 4 quick months TURKEYS!

Now for the serious stuff. You get paid more in NY for whatever you do than anywhere else. The healthcare and education in NY is second to none. NY is leading the way in affordable quality healthcare. Your real estate is worth more here than anywhere else. 

I'm a realist and won't find myself sorry for leaving this state like to many others I know. I don't think just anyone should be able to buy a handgun and carry. I don't think the general public needs access to high capacity capable semi auto firearms. I won't live in a state where the NRA has your politicians bent over a barrel and stop legislation for things like stopping private sales of firearms to any nut who wants to buy one.

Thankfully, our Second Amendment Right doesn't give a flip what you think about semi-auto firearms in common use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sits in trees said:

When cuomo gets done with his safe act 2 let’s see if your as happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Family, My and my wifes whole family is here besides my grandmother who live sin Hilton Head, SC. Family keep me here more than anything. But as well as familly, this state is absolutely gorgeous if you remove the tax crap and liberal agenda that we are stuck with.. I love all 4 seasons.. I think its one of the best things about this state.. besides the fact they use way too much salt on the rd.. Also this state doesnt see Extremely Dangerous weather patterns like much of the country sees, Tornadoes, Quakes, Hurricanes etc..

I dont know how i would take losing everything to a "storm" i knew, may happen, before moving somewhere..  and the chance you take risking yours or your families life in those situations. 

If i never win the lottery, I'd love to some day move to Tennessee or somewheres south of here that still has great hunting opportunities.. 

5 hours ago, sits in trees said:

While I disagree with almost everything you say, I can see that the NY you live in isn't the NY I live in. 

You are happy that you can concealed carry every day. I can't do that in the county I live in. The judges here will issue a restricted permit here, but unless your job requires concealed carry (LEO's and security work) you have virtually NO CHANCE of obtaining a CC here.

Crime is rampant here. There are two separate unsolved murders within two miles of my place. A neighbor was the victim of an armed (illegal handgun) home invasion by a druggie after cash for his next fix. The State Police swat team recently raided a house within 500 yards of my place and arrested the occupants for heroin sale and possession. Meth use is rampant. I have traveled all 50 states and the drug problem here is as bad as any place except maybe some inner cities.

If it sounds like I live in some big city, I don't. I live in a rural township of about 4,000 people.

The statement that " Your real estate is worth more here than anywhere else" might be true where you live, but that's not the case here. This year the assessed value of my land was reduced from $2,000/acre to $1,400/acre. My land sits on top of 700+ feet of natural gas bearing shale and there is Trenton/Black River gas below that. Thanks to King Andy's fracking ban and my local township's ban on mineral exploration my mineral rights are worth nothing. I would be lucky to sell my place period, let alone get a good buck for it.

There are places in the South that have deer, bear, turkeys and yes: brook, brown and rainbow trout. And no Cuomo!

• Like 1

I stay for a couple of reasons. The main one is because I have elderly parents. I love what NY has to offer except the way the government is run and the high taxes. Another reason I stay is I have not found a place north or south I would prefer to be.

I am still looking since my parents won't be around forever but I think it will be difficult to replace  the resources and outdoor opportunities that the state provides.

5 hours ago, sits in trees said:

You get paid more in NY for whatever you do than anywhere else. The healthcare and education in NY is second to none. NY is leading the way in affordable quality healthcare. Your real estate is worth more here than anywhere else. 

What the hell are you smoking :smoke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Because it is a meat-hunter's paradise.   I can't even imagine another state where it would be half as easy to live a subsistance lifestyle, off the fat of the woodlands and waters,  and none have a better climate or scenery (I can take the cold a lot better than the heat).   Watching them reality shows from Alaska, it looks like even those folks usually struggle to get enough meat to last thru the winter.   I am thankful for our high taxes, and semi-disfunctional politics.   Without that, the traffic would be a lot worse on the roads and the competition would be much greater for our abundant fish and wildlife.  Some of that tax money goes towards feeding the poor, disabled, and elderly and I have no problem with that.   The gun laws don't bother me because I have little use for a semi-auto or pistol anyhow.  I would be happy with a bolt-action if they ever come for my Ruger 10/22.    Heaven will be, but certainly no place on earth will be better than living in upstate NY.    Those who are thinking the grass is greener someplace else might be in for a rude awakening.   

if you believe for a second that NY is the only state with bountiful game, you need to travel more, read more and stop drinking/smoking whatever it is you're doing. That is not to say NY lacks those things, but it certainly has no monopoly. Look at our surrounding states like OH, PA and up to WI and MN as states that have everything we do and more in some cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

What the hell are you smoking :smoke:

a simple google search disproves just about everything he says, no worries. It's also important to separate upstate from downstate when reviewing these claims. And you get paid more because the col is so freaking high. man some people have their heads stuck in the clouds or in the dirt. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sits in trees said:

Skilled trades pays more down south 

Although this is a different twist, we've had a few of these threads before that I've posted in. I stay because I've got decent employment. Going to be sixty in a few weeks. Not a good age to seek employment. Maybe not too bad in a surging economy, but very bad in a downturn.

The property tax cost in NY alone makes me plan on leaving and moving to the southern Virginia/northern North Carolina area when I retire. The difference in property taxes for what I pay now vs. and an identical setup down south is about 12,500/yr. So if I get to 85 ripe old years that’s about $250k more I’d be spending to stay. And that’s simple math ignoring my year over year $800 property tax increases. Realistically, it's probably closer to $350-400k.

Here’s what turned the light on for me;

Pretend that you live down there now and ask yourself this question; “Hey self, want to move to NY for your retirement? Cool place – lakes, mountains, game, seasons, few natural disasters, but horrid Anti-2A laws, very restrictive in many other laws, higher utility costs and other general cost of living, hopelessly liberal policies and getting bluer by the minute. All it will cost you is a quarter million dollars more during your retirement years”. Would you go?

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 4

One reason and only one reason to stay, children and grand children. I hope for the best with the government we have but wont live more then a few hours drive from the family.  Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, all worse. Upstate NY or possibly Vermont, (its a little far) will probably be the place for my wife and I in retirement. Family first, the rest will have to be worked out as it comes.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:48 AM, grampy said:

Five more years and I'll retire. The grandkids will be off on their own. MIL is 85 and will most likely be joined with my FIL then. I'm looking at some property outside Brevard NC. taxes are about half of what we pay here.

What sort on retirement income do you have? While NC doesn't tax SS, it does tax all other forms of pension income. 

NY does not tax pensions.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:33 AM, wildcat junkie said:

Great roads, lots of public campgrounds, good hunting and fishing, public education system that is far better than most states.

On 11/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, Belo said:

great roads?

in addition to the schools, medical care is much better up here too.

During the 1990S my wife and I traveled extensively up and down the East Coast from Buffalo, NY to Ocala. FL and the Eastern Midwest from Grayling, MI to Eastern KY during late February to late August. We had a traditional archery business and hit all of the big traditional only shoots as vendors. We pulled a big 3500# pop-up camper over interstates and secondary roads. I also drove semi during the late '70s early '80s.

Virginia had the best roads IME and NY was a close second.

West Virginia, Georgia and parts of Pennsylvania and Indiana had the worst

Edited by wildcat junkie

if you believe for a second that NY is the only state with bountiful game, you need to travel more, read more and stop drinking/smoking whatever it is you're doing. That is not to say NY lacks those things, but it certainly has no monopoly. Look at our surrounding states like OH, PA and up to WI and MN as states that have everything we do and more in some cases.

I’m not following? PA is a lot like NY better politics. Lots of public land but fishing ops suck except trout mostly. Also land prices are higher than where I live but that’s relative. Some areas of NY are higher. WI and MN? Hell they are both colder than here by far lol!! And the whole state of Ohio ain’t got a hill bigger than mole hills in my lawn. And OH and PA ain’t south lol.

20 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

What sort on retirement income do you have? While NC doesn't tax SS, it does tax all other forms of pension income. 

NY does not tax pensions.

NYS Teachers Retirement. And yes, NC will tax my pension, but all tolled, will be paying thousands less in total taxes there. I will be able to stretch my retirement income much farther, with less taxes, and a lower cost of living. Looking at about 75 acres, with a small two bedroom home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

During the 1990S my wife and I traveled extensively up and down the East Coast from Buffalo, NY to Ocala. FL and the Eastern Midwest from Grayling, MI to Eastern KY during late February to late August. We had a traditional archery business and hit all of the big traditional only shoots as vendors. We pulled a big 3500# pop-up camper over interstates and secondary roads. I also drove semi during the late '70s early '80s.

Virginia had the best roads IME and NY was a close second.

West Virginia, Georgia and parts of Pennsylvania and Indiana had the worst

so your basis for good roads in NY is referencing the 70's and 80's? I drove back and forth between mississippi and new york for several years and never hit crap roads UNTIL I hit NY, and coincidentally they were also the only roads I had to pay to drive on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I’m not following? PA is a lot like NY better politics. Lots of public land but fishing ops suck except trout mostly. Also land prices are higher than where I live but that’s relative. Some areas of NY are higher. WI and MN? Hell they are both colder than here by far lol!! And the whole state of Ohio ain’t got a hill bigger than mole hills in my lawn. And OH and PA ain’t south lol.

I responding only to the point about game opportunities. As far as I know all those states offer plenty of comparable hunting and fishing opportunities, and in some cases better than NY. The statement I was replying to was that only NY offers such great hunting opportunities, when most knowledgeable people would tell you that very similar eco-systems exist close by and even better opportunities if you head west of the mississippi.

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure in none of those states can you shore fish the ocean, have one of the best salmon rivers and lake, award winning trout streams....

No worries everyone has different opinions!!

I don’t wanna convince anyone to stay!!

The way I figure the more people that leave the more room for me lol!!

• Like 3