Why.....why do you stay?

Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Belo said:

how many new yorkers salt water fish out of a new york port? 

Good lord... lots.  Ever been to Montauk?  Or anywhere on LIS?  Or Fulton Street or Hunt's Point?  

Tons of people fish right down the street from me, in LIS.  As do I (blues and stripers mostly).  

Not to argue, I think this thread has become a little too political, personally.  But really, lots of people fish the salt waters out of NY ports.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

During the 1990S my wife and I traveled extensively up and down the East Coast from Buffalo, NY to Ocala. FL and the Eastern Midwest from Grayling, MI to Eastern KY during late February to late August. We had a traditional archery business and hit all of the big traditional only shoots as vendors. We pulled a big 3500# pop-up camper over interstates and secondary roads. I also drove semi during the late '70s early '80s.

Virginia had the best roads IME and NY was a close second.

West Virginia, Georgia and parts of Pennsylvania and Indiana had the worst

8 hours ago, Belo said:

so your basis for good roads in NY is referencing the 70's and 80's? I drove back and forth between mississippi and new york for several years and never hit crap roads UNTIL I hit NY, and coincidentally they were also the only roads I had to pay to drive on.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I highlighted the appropriate text so that perhaps it may assist you.

I would think that nearly 3 decades and over 1,000,000 miles on a myriad of interstate as well as secondary roads covering perhaps 25% of the contiguous united states might give me a bit more insight than someone that repeatedly drove a similar route over the course of "several years.

Edited by wildcat junkie

1 hour ago, jmark said:

Good lord... lots.  Ever been to Montauk?  Or anywhere on LIS?  Or Fulton Street or Hunt's Point?  

Tons of people fish right down the street from me, in LIS.  As do I (blues and stripers mostly).  

Not to argue, I think this thread has become a little too political, personally.  But really, lots of people fish the salt waters out of NY ports.  

I think his answer will be no, same as mine ever been to Webster ? I’m almost 60 been to LI once for a wedding  .

To us NYC /li area is in a remote part of the state , almost more a part of other states .

I almost have to be reminded that an ocean touches NYS .

I could ask everyone I know or run into for the next month and not find one that ever ocean fished in NYS .

its nothing we do or think about others here doing , that’s all .

• Like 3

After retirement I’m leaving, probably keep my camp in the ADK’s sell the farm and head for greener pastures. I’m seriously considering Minnesota or Wisconsin, I’m more of a fisherman than a hunter and think i could live pretty darn happy with the walleye and trout opportunities and not have to worry about paying some moron to wash my boat before I put in he water in this liberal ass state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 9:37 AM, BowmanMike said:

I have to say that there is good and bad everywhere you go. I grew up in northern Germany until i was 24,then traveled on the west coast and met my wife there,which is from uostste new york and that is how i settled here. 

The state is beautiful ,so varied and interesting. If one enjoys the outdoors it is hard to not love NY.

When i was in Oregon i bicycled from the coast to the Willamette valley,about 85 miles,and there is nothing between the two but woods. I came through two villages,both with under 10 houses. 

That was mindblowing for someone growing up in germany. Ny and PA combined are about the size of germany,but there's 90 million people in germany now. It is so much more crowded there,even NY seems like a wide open state. 

One just has to figure out  what is the most important and decide from there.

Love Germany, I've been there twice in the last two years and got to see relatives I haven't seen in 40 yrs. The Germans really seem to have it together with things like healthcare and good paying jobs

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 10:42 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

After retirement I’m leaving, probably keep my camp in the ADK’s sell the farm and head for greener pastures. I’m seriously considering Minnesota or Wisconsin, I’m more of a fisherman than a hunter and think i could live pretty darn happy with the walleye and trout opportunities and not have to worry about paying some moron to wash my boat before I put in he water in this liberal ass state!

Good muskie fishing too!   Wisconsin always interested me too. 

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I highlighted the appropriate text so that perhaps it may assist you.

I would think that nearly 3 decades and over 1,000,000 miles on a myriad of interstate as well as secondary roads covering perhaps 25% of the contiguous united states might give me a bit more insight than someone that repeatedly drove a similar route over the course of "several years.

Except that my experience is within the most recent century...

I think his answer will be no, same as mine ever been to Webster ? I’m almost 60 been to LI once for a wedding  .
To us NYC /li area is in a remote part of the state , almost more a part of other states .
I almost have to be reminded that an ocean touches NYS .
I could ask everyone I know or run into for the next month and not find one that ever ocean fished in NYS .
its nothing we do or think about others here doing , that’s all .

This is a better way of making my point. I did not intend to discount saltwater fishing in NY. But it’s a 6+ hour drive for anyone west of Syracuse or the north. It’s not exactly mass where the coast is pretty easily accessible to most.

That was my only point I guess. My guess would be that NY ranks pretty low for salt water fishing compared to other coastal states.

On 12/2/2018 at 2:09 PM, Belo said:

This is a better way of making my point. I did not intend to discount saltwater fishing in NY. But it’s a 6+ hour drive for anyone west of Syracuse or the north. It’s not exactly mass where the coast is pretty easily accessible to most.

That was my only point I guess. My guess would be that NY ranks pretty low for salt water fishing compared to other coastal states.

Dude, you have no idea of what your talking about. The majority of NYs populous lives within mins to the salt. NY is all about salt water fishing. Montauk, the Great South Bay, the Sound, and the Atlantic. Set sail from Montauk and be in 200 ft of water in 15 mins. Shark, Tuna, Blues, record Striped Bass not to mention the shell fishing. Your statements have Frank Mundus flipping like a Mackerel in his grave!

10 hours ago, Dom said:

I say and still live in Dutchess county why you ask cause this is my home.I stay in the area cause of the family.if you do not like this state then move or live your way .

I have to admit Dutchess is beautiful. Cruising the state roads, the beautiful homes, the scenery. Alot of class. Oh and some great hunting

I have to admit Dutchess is beautiful. Cruising the state roads, the beautiful homes, the scenery. Alot of class. Oh and some great hunting.

It is but not all that hunter/gun friendly in my recent past experiences. We have had cops called on us for legally pheasant hunting released birds a few years back, down on the rack brought nasty looks at gas station from the NYC libs, walking through Rhinebeck in camo seems not welcome when looking for a mid hunt bite.

13 hours ago, sits in trees said:

Dude, you have no idea of what your talking about. The majority of NYs populous lives within mins to the salt. NY is all about salt water fishing. Montauk, the Great South Bay, the Sound, and the Atlantic. Set sail from Montauk and be in 200 ft of water in 15 mins. Shark, Tuna, Blues, record Striped Bass not to mention the shell fishing. Your statements have Frank Mundus flipping like a Mackerel in his grave!

i'm generalizing the state as a whole, and how much of that majority that lives in the city are saltwater fisherman lol? Come on man. Saltwater fishing can be one of the most expensive hobbies out there. I'm not bashing it, I assume you're right about how great it is, but look at this board as a small subset of data for example. How many are big saltwater guys vs freshwater?

My post was nothing more than to dispute those who say New York is the meca for outdoor life and nothing comes close. To say you can fish ontario and the atlantic is true, but they're a good 6 hour drive apart and the later isn't too cheap unless you have the right connections. that was all. 

On 12/2/2018 at 3:51 AM, sits in trees said:

Love Germany, I've been there twice in the last two years and got to see relatives I haven't seen in 40 yrs. The Germans really seem to have it together with things like healthcare and good paying jobs

You hit the nail on the head with that comment.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2011/12/21/germany-builds-twice-as-many-cars-as-the-u-s-while-paying-its-auto-workers-twice-as-much/?fbclid=IwAR3Q0pO-vfRtLrLC1KspQ9Wsq3ySYYfDsOaRvPz5RJPSZlMDH_JM09z_Vj4#1f984e626b78

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

I am not sure if we are straying form the original question, I understood it as why would we stay. I seem to see a lot of reasons why to leave, to me they are different.  There are better states to hunt, and states with more liberal gun laws, but i never lived in them. I think the original statement from Robhuntandfish is important. This is where I am from, I hunt land I hunted with my father and uncles when i was a kid. I bring my sons to the places I hunted, fished and hiked. I have grandchildren who some day i hope to bring there as well. there are plenty of reasons to leave, but i think the question was why stay.
Just my take on it, thanks

• Like 3

Most of my family that is in America is in NY so ill probably never leave. And like others said, the taxes suck, but the country is beautiful here and the 4 seasons we feel is amazing. If I had a choise Id maybe want to live in Montana or one of those states, but it gets really cold there so im not sure.

10 hours ago, Belo said:

i'm generalizing the state as a whole, and how much of that majority that lives in the city are saltwater fisherman lol? Come on man. Saltwater fishing can be one of the most expensive hobbies out there. I'm not bashing it, I assume you're right about how great it is, but look at this board as a small subset of data for example. How many are big saltwater guys vs freshwater?

My post was nothing more than to dispute those who say New York is the meca for outdoor life and nothing comes close. To say you can fish ontario and the atlantic is true, but they're a good 6 hour drive apart and the later isn't too cheap unless you have the right connections. that was all. 

Out of that majority that lives in NYC, Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn you probably have millions of salt water fisherman, not to mention Long Island which probably triples that number. Long Island being the hub of northeastern fishing has marina's from the tip of Brooklyn to the end of Montauk. Then sweep into Gardners Bay , Shelter Island then around the North shore you'll see more boats than you'll ever imagine. Dock space is at a premium and most marina's will have boats moored by the hundreds. Man look at a map. And where do you get the idea that if you live in the city your not likely to be a fisherman, lol.

And I said the state as a whole offers more than most others. Some have better limited stuff but NY has more of all. I’m right your wrong. Move out of my state.

Lol jk

It’s all opinions and we all have one. It be so boring if they all were the same! Peace bud!