Al Bundy

New rifle.. What scope??

Recommended Posts

Got the call I was waiting for.. Melvin Forbes called and said my NULA is ready for painting. Now its time to get serious about a scope.  I need some serious schooling in scopes though as I don't know jack about them.  I am old school in that I had a 12 gauge no choke that knocked down everything I needed it to. (upgraded my 12 to a new SBE3!!! pick up Friday night...)  I been reading and reading about scopes and think I come up with a good candidate. Some back ground. Im getting the model 20 mountain rifle and want a lightweight/compact scope to put on it. I have one spot that I can shoot about 250 yards max but other than that its all going to be within 100 yard range until I can actually find a piece of land to buy.  I don't ever see using this at 800 yards type shooting.

Thinking this scope:  https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-3-5-10x40mm with a boone and crockett reticle. The reticles are driving me bonkers with different types and kinds.

Comments??

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure you could go wrong with that scope. I bought a Nikon Prostaff and wish I went with something different. Nothing wrong with the optics but I really dislike the BDC reticle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have loved the Duplex reticles on the Leupolds for a long time. 

Have that reticle on my Zeiss Conquest too.

Edited by grampy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only shooting to 250 you definitely dont need a drop reticle. Love all my leupolds. My current favorite is my vx-r 4-12. They make it in a 3-9 also. Worth a look if you think you may ever need a illuminated reticle. What caliber is the rifle in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will surely not go wrong with that scope it is first class al the way. I think I would go even lighter and more compact myself sticking to the theme of that lightweight rifle. My favorite big game scope is the regular 2x7 Leupold, it is reliable and will do everything need be for most big game hunting.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't get away from the circle reticles.  Put the circle in kill zone and fire.   Bushnell and red field have them.  Red field has a nice 2x7 that ought to be plenty for those distances.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rifle is 7mm 08.  What other compact lightweight scopes are out there??? I'm not stuck on Leupold.  Ill look at bushnell and red field. Zeiss looked great but the price tag seemed like there are others out there that will do the job for less money. 

That vx r is looking pretty sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find that I like lower power scopes with heavy duplex reticles more and more.  I personally would not want the boone and crocket (a bit too thin on the cross hairs) and regret swapping out my simple duplex on my slug gun for a ballistics reticle.  I will likely be swapping back to a duplex.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had just about every brand rifle scope in the last 50 + years , Bushnell were a good choice years ago. But now I favor the Leupold brand I have 3 different  models and like them all .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just what you need on that new Forbes rifle... A Swaro Z3 3-9 X36 with a duplex type reticle! Lightweight, clear as a bell optics and fairly priced for an "alpha" scope. Something cheaper (but still very good) would be a Meopta Meopro. The new Tract line as well as GPO (German Precision Optics) scopes are also pretty darn great. I'm somewhat of a scope snob, and would be glad to answer any specific questions thru PM. If you want an expert reply, contact Ilya Koshkin over at Optic Thoughts (his website). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like my Bushnell with the 600 DOA reticle ,I've only shot it at 300 yards so far but it was accurate to 300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Rifle is 7mm 08.  What other compact lightweight scopes are out there??? I'm not stuck on Leupold.  Ill look at bushnell and red field. Zeiss looked great but the price tag seemed like there are others out there that will do the job for less money. 

That vx r is looking pretty sweet.

Take a peek at Vortex. Top notch glass in their higher tier models, more options for the money in all tiers, damn good glass in the lower tier models, and the best warranty out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd skip the B&C reticle and go with simple plex.

Defeat the purpose of buying a Nula with a heavy scope IMO.

I'd be more inclined to a VX3 2-5-8x36 as a good solid overall choice. Not sure what Lawdwaz is running on the ones he has?

I like that Swarovski Z3 as suggested but your already balking at a Zeiss $, you won't buy a Swaro. (though they sell used at very fair prices especially)

I have a little of everything Redfield, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski.....honestly the Redfield is a joke after looking through other glass, have it on an inline I shoot once a year. Leupold VX3 series in average conditions are solid for the money as are the Zeiss Conquest lines. In tough light, night,poor weather; higher end are a real treat to have, but average deer hunter won't see much difference in daylight in closer distances. Its when things suck, that high end glass can make a difference.

 


Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I find that I like lower power scopes with heavy duplex reticles more and more.  I personally would not want the boone and crocket (a bit too thin on the cross hairs) and regret swapping out my simple duplex on my slug gun for a ballistics reticle.  I will likely be swapping back to a duplex.

I run German #4 as a favorite. Had that put into last 2 scopes I bought. Learn where the picket shoots for yardage on the verticle and can easy stretch effective distance; and the heavy duplex shows up well in poor light or on dark animals.


Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

I'd skip the B&C reticle and go with simple plex.

Defeat the purpose of buying a Nula with a heavy scope IMO.

I'd be more inclined to a VX3 2-5-8x36 as a good solid overall choice. Not sure what Lawdwaz is running on the ones he has?

I like that Swarovski Z3 as suggested but your already balking at a Zeiss $, you won't buy a Swaro. (though they sell used at very fair prices especially)

I have a little of everything Redfield, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski.....honestly the Redfield is a joke after looking through other glass, have it on an inline I shoot once a year. Leupold VX3 series in average conditions are solid for the money as are the Zeiss Conquest lines. In tough light, night,poor weather; higher end are a real treat to have, but average deer hunter won't see much difference in daylight in closer distances. Its when things suck, that high end glass can make a difference.

 

Agree 100% with above.  If I were spending the cash on a Forbes rifle, I'd not fret over spending a bit more to get top glass. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a picture of my Kimber Montana 84M in 7MM-08.  It sports a Leupold Compact 3-9x33mm.  Standard Duplex.  I wanted the lightest 3-9 variable I could get on it.  I think it's perfect for a lightweight rifle.  It has enough power for long range, yet doesn't negatively affect the rifle's handling at all.

 

My84M.jpg

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Rifle is 7mm 08.  What other compact lightweight scopes are out there??? I'm not stuck on Leupold.  Ill look at bushnell and red field. Zeiss looked great but the price tag seemed like there are others out there that will do the job for less money. 

That vx r is looking pretty sweet.

Great choice.

 

I am partial to nikon, but you cannot go wrong with a Leupold or Bushnell. I would check out a 50 bell if you are hunting deep woods, it gets darker earlier in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of leupold as well, but would also consider a 3-9x40 trijicon for this rifle.  You can get either a standard type duplex or a post type reticle, and the glass is pretty nice in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever you do, don't burden a fine light HUNTING rifle with a big monstrosity of a scope...

I REALLY like the Leupold 2x7  with the duplex Ret, or at most the Leupy 3x9 compact....If you think you need that much magnification..Which you don't...

Don't get involved in those hi-tech range finding recticules...They are BS in a hunting rifle that will be used  at what I consider normal ranges, which would be from point blank to perhaps 350 yards...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Take a peek at Vortex. Top notch glass in their higher tier models, more options for the money in all tiers, damn good glass in the lower tier models, and the best warranty out there.

Yea I have a higher end viper on my 6.5 creed and love it. It’s certainly overkill for any ranges I normally shoot but is very clear and a great scope


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CapDistPatriot said:

Great choice.

 

I am partial to nikon, but you cannot go wrong with a Leupold or Bushnell. I would check out a 50 bell if you are hunting deep woods, it gets darker earlier in there.

Don't you DARE put a 50MM monstrosity  on  a fine, light hunting rifle  !!

33MM  or 36 MM  will transmit more than enough light, unless you are hunting after dark.....The thoughts of a 50 MM  on a Nula makes me want to slash my wrists  !!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.