New rifle.. What scope??

On 12/5/2018 at 11:23 AM, wildcat junkie said:

I bought the Khales for $500 about 18 years ago. Unfortunately, that model is discontinued.

In those days a Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II was in the $300 range.

IMO $500 is not an exorbitant amount to pay for a scope. It is my upper limit however.

After the holidays, my next optics purchase will be a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8 x 36 to replace the VX-2 3-9 X 33 Ultralight Compact on my 8X57IS. The eye relief on the 3-9 x 33 is way to short and requires some imaginative mounting to allow proper eye relief when wearing bulky cold weather clothing.

The 2.5-8 x 36 will set me back about $375.

you are right, $500 isn't too bad in comparison to a vx3 that goes for around $400. I have to wonder if a good pair of binos or spotting scope wouldn't be money better spent though. You can bring whatever weapon you have with a competent scope and not have to buy higher end scopes for all your guns. Plus it's versatile for other game and scouting etc. 

22 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

30 seconds on the old googler reveals that it seems to be pretty standard to put a logo on the top of a Scope ring.  maybe Leupold cheese ain’t slid as far off the cracker as you think??

Me I couldn’t give a shot either way I’m a function over form guy I don’t hunt with a gun that I haven’t took a saw to one end or the other of, if a company wants to put their brand on something usually that means it’s a quality product and they take pride in their work something I tend to look for in a product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the perfect example if missing the point.

None if those rings you pictures would be appropriate for a fine rifle. The majority of former Leupold std ring buyers where looking for a classic ring with simple clean lines.

0AYFLbQ.png

xuYo4tZ.png

0TmUIOn.png

The rings you pictured are garish examples of the type of ring sought after by the Rambo crowd looking for something flashy that draws attention to their phallus symbol.

The poll doesn't lie. Leupold just turned away over half of their loyal customer base. THAT is the point.

Originally posted by metal:

Wildcat, I'm pissed off about this too, I won't be using them on my customs anymore. They look like shit.

Originally posted by df06:

I don't like the logo on the top of rings at all. And have changed to other brands until the rings are smooth again.

Originally posted by ramrod340:

Simple for me. If they have that stamp I'll simply use Burris. It would bug the $hit out of me everytime I looked at it.

But I don't allow a new car dealer to mark my car either.

Originally posted by Pa.Frank:

WOW!  They will look great on a Mossberg with a Tasco world class scope!

Gotta watch for a sale!!

NOT!!

Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Maybe Leupold will start offering rings without the logo, for, say, a 25% premium?  That would be par for their marketing department.

I like Carhart shirts, and don't mind the small "C" logo they usually put on the pockets (although I'd just as soon it not be there).  I started to buy a Carhart T-shirt the other day and found that everything the store had in stock had "Carhart" in bright and garishly bold lettering splashed down the sleeve of the left arm.  The store still has the shirts and I'm still looking.

What if Holland & Holland had carved its name in two inch letters down each side of the stock on its $100,000 doubles?

Nothing says "low rent" louder than inappropriate logos and advertising plastered on a product.

Originally posted by Stonecreek:

The most effective branding is discrete.  If the quality is there, then people will look closely to find the brand. 

Of course, if the quality isn't obvious, then the sellers think that maybe garish branding will gloss over that deficiency.

Originally posted by ramrod340:

Well I got on the Leopold site and told them after 40+ years of using their rings I was not going to be able to use their rings. That I felt the tacky logo didn't belong on a nice rifle.

Their answer was "Sorry to see you go"

So Burris or others it will be from now on.

23 hours ago, Belo said:

you know I don't have my rifle in front of me, but I put my vx3 on 3 years ago I think and while I wasn't happy with the price of the leupold rings, I don't think they have a logo on them

It happened about a year ago. I purchased some mounts and rings as a small Xmas present for my son's friend that is almost like a son to me.

What really ticked me off was the fact that Leupold hadn't updated the images of their product on their website at that time. Even now, some vendors are still using old stock images.

Edited by wildcat junkie

23 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Every gun I own has DNZ, 1 piece mounts I think they’re far superior to Leupolds and they have their DNZ on the top, color me in with the “Rambo” crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I would limp you in with the  (by your own admission) "I don't give a crap about what my gun looks like" crowd. :pleasantry:

I don't have a problem with that. It's your right.

What puzzles me is the fact that you, and some others here, seem to have an issue with my displeasure of a dubois product change that is now, and will continue to, diminish Leupold's sales of that product..

Edited by wildcat junkie

On 12/5/2018 at 1:29 PM, Dinsdale said:

You know if you really look around you can still find those Kahles 1" scopes even NIB in you are patient for a decent price. Maybe 6-7 years ago I chased an ad for a gun store down south off an arms list ad that still had old inventory in stock!

I have the same vintage 3.5-10x40 but a 30mm tube and a 1" 3-9.

Hell of a piece of glass. Have had the 30mm tube on 4 rifles from heavy kickers to more mundane; and it never disappoints even after vibrating around in aircraft cargo hold for hours and hours. 

I really don't remember what prompted me to purchase the Kahles scope over a Leupold at the time. I do remember comparing the images of the Kahles 3-9 x 42, a Nikon Monarch 2-7 x 32 and my old standby Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 x 40 at some snow covered brush out if my back door in the twilight.

The old technology Vari-X scope from the 1970s was a bit inferior to the Nikon Monarch but the Kahles blew them both away. I could see details with the Kahless that where mere blurs with the other 2.

The point was really driven home one snowy evening as a friend an I where walking the horse trails out of my woods well after sundown or even ethical shooting light for that matter..

He asked to see my rifle. He peered through the scope, then his Bushnell 3-9 scope and said "my scope is just as good as yours, I can see that stump over there through either just fine".

I picked up his rifle, peered at the stump through the Bushnell it and then my Kahles.

I handed my rifle back to him and told him to look at the stump again..

"Do you see the stump?"

"Yes"

"Do you see those tufts of grass around the bottom?

"Yes"

"Now look at the stump with your Bushnell. Can you see those tufts of grass now?"

"No"

The ability to see fine details with the Austrian glass in low light is penominal for a scope at that price point.

Edited by wildcat junkie

The European scopes and Nikon may win in glass clarity but Leupolds can stand up to anyone in durability and it's ability to hold zero.  I've had a vari X II on my favorite rifle for over 30 years and I've barely had to adjust zero in all those years.  Last season I had the gun fall 15 feet out of a tree stand and the zero barely moved a hair even with a cracked stock.  The mounts on it are old Redfields which are much like the Leupold's in design.  They pretty much hold the scope to the rifle as if it was welded to it.  Wouldn't switch to anything else if someone paid me.

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

The European scopes and Nikon may win in glass clarity but Leupolds can stand up to anyone in durability and it's ability to hold zero.  I've had a vari X II on my favorite rifle for over 30 years and I've barely had to adjust zero in all those years.  Last season I had the gun fall 15 feet out of a tree stand and the zero barely moved a hair even with a cracked stock.  The mounts on it are old Redfields which are much like the Leupold's in design.  They pretty much hold the scope to the rifle as if it was welded to it.  Wouldn't switch to anything else if someone paid me.

I think Leupold took over the Redfield "Jr and Sr" mount/rings system when Redifield as we knew it went away. The Burris series of rings interchange with the Leupold std mounts and that is what I will now use.

I am a died in the wool Leupold fan of 50 years but I do occasionally buy other products of equal or better quality that are made in Japan or Europe That does not cut the throat of American workers since both Japanese and the European manufacturers support higher wages than those that prevail in the USA. I will not buy Chinese optics because I do not support a system where the factories have suicide netting under the factory windows to prevent workers jumping to their deaths. Optics are of the few categories where there are still American manufacturers that have products that are priced anywhere near their Chinese counterparts.

Anyone that buys the entry level Vortex scopes just doesn't give a rats arse about American workers. It pains me to buy Burris rings after 50+ years of using Leupold, but the asinine move by Leupold has forced my options.

Those old Conetrol rings and bases pictured above are about as clean looking as it gets and were a touch of class on a fine rifle in their day and today for that matter. I mounted a scope on one of my Dad's rifles using the Conetrol system, it was a sweet looking setup.

Al

th.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I bought a Remington 30-06 beautiful gun BUT  it had a cheap simmons scope and see-thru sites so my friend I hunt with sold me the same scope you have and its says on the bell 30-06 180 gr .What I did I went on cabelas and midway usa and brownells  looking for proper bases and rings ,cabelas had the ones specific to that rifle and a choice of high base -med- low [I got the medium cause of the 40mm bell] .WOW what a difference  I didn't have to crane my neck or push the rifle butt in to my shoulder to see the crosshairs. See I shot @ a buck once twice [missed],and the third time I aimed almost@ his ass and hit him in the neck so im glad I got a new bases and rings and scope.

• Like 1