New rifle.. What scope??

Got the call I was waiting for.. Melvin Forbes called and said my NULA is ready for painting. Now its time to get serious about a scope.  I need some serious schooling in scopes though as I don't know jack about them.  I am old school in that I had a 12 gauge no choke that knocked down everything I needed it to. (upgraded my 12 to a new SBE3!!! pick up Friday night...)  I been reading and reading about scopes and think I come up with a good candidate. Some back ground. Im getting the model 20 mountain rifle and want a lightweight/compact scope to put on it. I have one spot that I can shoot about 250 yards max but other than that its all going to be within 100 yard range until I can actually find a piece of land to buy.  I don't ever see using this at 800 yards type shooting.

Thinking this scope:  https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-3-5-10x40mm with a boone and crockett reticle. The reticles are driving me bonkers with different types and kinds.

Comments??

You will surely not go wrong with that scope it is first class al the way. I think I would go even lighter and more compact myself sticking to the theme of that lightweight rifle. My favorite big game scope is the regular 2x7 Leupold, it is reliable and will do everything need be for most big game hunting.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Rifle is 7mm 08.  What other compact lightweight scopes are out there??? I'm not stuck on Leupold.  Ill look at bushnell and red field. Zeiss looked great but the price tag seemed like there are others out there that will do the job for less money. 

That vx r is looking pretty sweet.

I find that I like lower power scopes with heavy duplex reticles more and more.  I personally would not want the boone and crocket (a bit too thin on the cross hairs) and regret swapping out my simple duplex on my slug gun for a ballistics reticle.  I will likely be swapping back to a duplex.

• Like 1

Just what you need on that new Forbes rifle... A Swaro Z3 3-9 X36 with a duplex type reticle! Lightweight, clear as a bell optics and fairly priced for an "alpha" scope. Something cheaper (but still very good) would be a Meopta Meopro. The new Tract line as well as GPO (German Precision Optics) scopes are also pretty darn great. I'm somewhat of a scope snob, and would be glad to answer any specific questions thru PM. If you want an expert reply, contact Ilya Koshkin over at Optic Thoughts (his website). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Rifle is 7mm 08.  What other compact lightweight scopes are out there??? I'm not stuck on Leupold.  Ill look at bushnell and red field. Zeiss looked great but the price tag seemed like there are others out there that will do the job for less money. 

Take a peek at Vortex. Top notch glass in their higher tier models, more options for the money in all tiers, damn good glass in the lower tier models, and the best warranty out there.

I'd skip the B&C reticle and go with simple plex.

Defeat the purpose of buying a Nula with a heavy scope IMO.

I'd be more inclined to a VX3 2-5-8x36 as a good solid overall choice. Not sure what Lawdwaz is running on the ones he has?

I like that Swarovski Z3 as suggested but your already balking at a Zeiss $, you won't buy a Swaro. (though they sell used at very fair prices especially)

I have a little of everything Redfield, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski.....honestly the Redfield is a joke after looking through other glass, have it on an inline I shoot once a year. Leupold VX3 series in average conditions are solid for the money as are the Zeiss Conquest lines. In tough light, night,poor weather; higher end are a real treat to have, but average deer hunter won't see much difference in daylight in closer distances. Its when things suck, that high end glass can make a difference.

37 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I find that I like lower power scopes with heavy duplex reticles more and more.  I personally would not want the boone and crocket (a bit too thin on the cross hairs) and regret swapping out my simple duplex on my slug gun for a ballistics reticle.  I will likely be swapping back to a duplex.

I run German #4 as a favorite. Had that put into last 2 scopes I bought. Learn where the picket shoots for yardage on the verticle and can easy stretch effective distance; and the heavy duplex shows up well in poor light or on dark animals.

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

I'd skip the B&C reticle and go with simple plex.

Defeat the purpose of buying a Nula with a heavy scope IMO.

I'd be more inclined to a VX3 2-5-8x36 as a good solid overall choice. Not sure what Lawdwaz is running on the ones he has?

I like that Swarovski Z3 as suggested but your already balking at a Zeiss $, you won't buy a Swaro. (though they sell used at very fair prices especially)

I have a little of everything Redfield, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski.....honestly the Redfield is a joke after looking through other glass, have it on an inline I shoot once a year. Leupold VX3 series in average conditions are solid for the money as are the Zeiss Conquest lines. In tough light, night,poor weather; higher end are a real treat to have, but average deer hunter won't see much difference in daylight in closer distances. Its when things suck, that high end glass can make a difference.

Agree 100% with above.  If I were spending the cash on a Forbes rifle, I'd not fret over spending a bit more to get top glass. 

• Like 1

Here's a picture of my Kimber Montana 84M in 7MM-08.  It sports a Leupold Compact 3-9x33mm.  Standard Duplex.  I wanted the lightest 3-9 variable I could get on it.  I think it's perfect for a lightweight rifle.  It has enough power for long range, yet doesn't negatively affect the rifle's handling at all.

My84M.jpg

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Great choice.

I am partial to nikon, but you cannot go wrong with a Leupold or Bushnell. I would check out a 50 bell if you are hunting deep woods, it gets darker earlier in there.

Whatever you do, don't burden a fine light HUNTING rifle with a big monstrosity of a scope...

I REALLY like the Leupold 2x7  with the duplex Ret, or at most the Leupy 3x9 compact....If you think you need that much magnification..Which you don't...

Don't get involved in those hi-tech range finding recticules...They are BS in a hunting rifle that will be used  at what I consider normal ranges, which would be from point blank to perhaps 350 yards...

• Like 4

Take a peek at Vortex. Top notch glass in their higher tier models, more options for the money in all tiers, damn good glass in the lower tier models, and the best warranty out there.

Yea I have a higher end viper on my 6.5 creed and love it. It’s certainly overkill for any ranges I normally shoot but is very clear and a great scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CapDistPatriot said:

Great choice.

I am partial to nikon, but you cannot go wrong with a Leupold or Bushnell. I would check out a 50 bell if you are hunting deep woods, it gets darker earlier in there.

Don't you DARE put a 50MM monstrosity  on  a fine, light hunting rifle  !!

33MM  or 36 MM  will transmit more than enough light, unless you are hunting after dark.....The thoughts of a 50 MM  on a Nula makes me want to slash my wrists  !!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2