New rifle.. What scope??

On 11/28/2018 at 6:31 PM, Will_C said:

I think I'd choose a Leupold 2.5-8 or the Zeiss 3-9x 36. Perfect for a light 7mm-08.

Will

I don't know why Leupold is calling the 3.5-10 x 40 a "compact scope. It isn't by any stretch of the omagnation a "compact' scope..

I don't know who is running Leupold these days but whoever it is, they don't know much about their products as far as real world.

Probably some with a lot of college but little real knowledge about the product..

I own both a 3.5-10 X 40 and a 3-9 X 33 "Compact". I will post picture side by side for a comparison.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 6:27 PM, Pygmy said:

Don't you DARE put a 50MM monstrosity  on  a fine, light hunting rifle  !!

33MM  or 36 MM  will transmit more than enough light, unless you are hunting after dark.....The thoughts of a 50 MM  on a Nula makes me want to slash my wrists  !!

Ah, the old myth of the 50mm "light gathering" objective lens.

34 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

I don't know why Leupold is calling the 3.5-10 x 40 a "compact scope. It isn't by any stretch of the omagnation a "compact' scope..

I don't know who is running Leupold these days but whoever it is, they don't know much about their products as far as real world.

Probably some with a lot of college but little real knowledge about the product..

I own both a 3.5-10 X 40 and a 3-9 X 33 "Compact". I will post picture side by side for a comparison.

Leupold also groups their scopes by weight......the 3.5-10 is around 12 1/2 ounces. Hence the Compact OR lightweight category on their site.

On 11/28/2018 at 6:31 PM, Will_C said:

I think I'd choose a Leupold 2.5-8 or the Zeiss 3-9x 36. Perfect for a light 7mm-08.

Will

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Leupold also groups their scopes by weight......the 3.5-10 is around 12 1/2 ounces. Hence the Compact OR lightweight category on their site.

OK here ya go.

OqKbsir.jpg

Top is the 3-9 x 33 VX-2 "Compact",  bottom is the VX3 3.5 1 10 X 40.

How Leupold can call the 3.5-10 x 40 a "compact" is beyond me. Lightweight is not synonymous with compact. Besides 12 1'2 oz didn't used to be call lightweight

The 2.5-8 X 36 is about the same size as the 3-9 X 33

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

15 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

OK here ya go.

OqKbsir.jpg

Top is the 3-9 x 33 VX-2 "Compact",  bottom is the VX3 3.5 1 10 X 40.

How Leupold can call the 3.5-10 x 40 a "compact" is beyond me. Lightweight is not synonymous with compact. Besides 12 1'2 oz didn't used to be called "lightweight"

The 2.5-8 is about the same size as the 3-9 X 33

The now discontinued VX-2 3-9 X 40 weighed 11.4 oz and was never classified as "compact or lightweight".

The VX 3 3.5-10 X 40 is 1.1 oz heavier and the 2.5-8 X 36 is even .2 oz heavier.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

You should write a nasty note to Leupold and complain.

I did when they started putting a hideous logo to the top of their rings. It fell on deaf ears of course

I now buy Burris rings.

Trying to compete with cheap  chinese scopes marketed by Vortex is driving Leupold down a road that I fear will be the end of them. 

Edited by wildcat junkie

16 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

You should write a nasty note to Leupold and complain.

9 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

I did when they started putting a hideous logo to the top of their rings. It fell on deaf ears of course

I now buy Burris rings.

Trying to compete with cheap  chinese scopes marketed by Vortex is driving Leupold down a road that I fear will be the end of them. 

Here are the Leupold rings as they were made when I started buying them  50 years ago.

h5zoFT3.jpg

Now, a few years back, they decided to "improve" them.

bsJqkYE.jpg

Who is making these decisions?

7 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Key word was "good" .. Im on a tight budget with a young family so i cant and probably wont ever see what top dollar glass looks like.. 

Me either, but Japanese glass isn't that expensive. The German stuff in the other hand is.

My 3-9 X 42 Kales is amazing in low light. I can see spikes on a buck at 250 yds in a narrow shooting lane in my woods way past legal shooting hours. Can't say the same for my Leupold scopes. That being said, the Leupold's do well enough for me.

Edited by wildcat junkie

18 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

Me either, but Japanese glass isn't that expensive. The German stuff in the other hand is.

My 3-9 X 42 Kales is amazing in low light. I can see spikes on a buck at 250 yds in a narrow shooting lane in my woods way past legal shooting hours. Can't say the same for my Leupold scopes. That being said, the Leupold's do well enough for me.

What are a few German brands?

I just ordered an Athlon Midas came in yesterday.  

19 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

What are a few German brands?

I just ordered an Athlon Midas came in yesterday.  

Some of these are not German, but European nonetheless. They still reflect German optics quality.

Zeiss

Kales (Austrian)

Swarovski

Leica

Meopta (Czechoslovakia)

Schmidt and Bender

Minox (now owned by Leica but still managed independently)

Sieiner

4 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Some of these are not German, but European nonetheless. They still reflect German optics quality.

Zeiss

Kales (Austrian)

Swarovski

Leica

Meopta (Czechoslovakia)

Schmidt and Bender

Minox (now owned by Leica but still managed independently)

Sieiner

I was looking at Meopta but i couldnt find enough reviews to justify buying it for the price. Id imagine they are all a pretty high dollar scope? 

22 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I was looking at Meopta but i couldnt find enough reviews to justify buying it for the price. Id imagine they are all a pretty high dollar scope? 

Zeiss and Kales offer moderately priced models for the American market with 1" tubes.

My Kales was the "American"  3-9 x 42 offered at around $500 several years back, but unfortunately, they discontinued that model.

$500 is about my budget limit. One can get some pretty good glass in that price range if you aren't looking for a bunch of superfluous bells and whistles.

Edited by wildcat junkie

31 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Zeiss and Kales offer moderately priced models for the American market with 1" tubes.

My Kales was the "American"  3-9 x 42 offered at around $500 several years back, but unfortunately, they discontinued that model.

$500 is about my budget limit. One can get some pretty good glass in that price range if you aren't looking for a bunch of superfluous bells and whistles.

You aint kidding there! I dont need anything special, i just like super clear glass mostly, and a bit of magnification for most of my hunting rifles.  My place of employment offers a ton of gift cards for Amazon and Walmart.. so between the 2 sites is where I try to purchase my scopes. Saves me some money lol. I got this athlon for almost half off and only a few dollars out of pocket. 

I will keep an eye on some of these scopes, but it looks like they are still a tad more than i will spend. Probably worth more than any of my guns are..

Edited by LET EM GROW

How is Melvin doing, I'll have to drop him a line. I haven't spoken to him in a bit .

All good scopes mentioned, I'm surprised not more love for Nikon or weaver. I have a un mounted weaver grand slam that has the sweetest glass . All my Nikon's serve there purpose and hold a zero true. I guess it comes down to budget. I wouldn't put a konus on a Melvin built gun but I would put a trijicon or a kahles on one .

I have a leupold vx3 2-10 and couldn't be happier with its clarity and function. For your situation (very similar to mine) it's all you really need. I honestly think you could also get by with a vx2, but when I bought mine 2 years ago I liked the magnification option on the 3 more. I'd also highly recommend the leupold brand screw-on eye and objective caps. They're pricey but are a lot nicer than the butler creek rubber ones.

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Rest assured that Meopta has some very nice stuff. I’ve used their Binoculars and scopes for years. AAMOF, they made many of the Cabelas offerings. 

50 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I will keep an eye on some of these scopes, but it looks like they are still a tad more than i will spend. Probably worth more than any of my guns are..

If you have to skimp, buy a less expensive rifle. A savage AXIS with good optics will perform better under a wider range of conditions than a Weatherby with a Tasco scope.

1st thing I did when my son''s friend bought a Savage Axis 2 with a "package" scope was sell the cheap glass on e-bay and mount a dependable Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 on it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sbuff said:

How is Melvin doing, I'll have to drop him a line. I haven't spoken to him in a bit .

All good scopes mentioned, I'm surprised not more love for Nikon or weaver. I have a un mounted weaver grand slam that has the sweetest glass . All my Nikon's serve there purpose and hold a zero true. I guess it comes down to budget. I wouldn't put a konus on a Melvin built gun but I would put a trijicon or a kahles on one .

The higher end Nikons are very good and so are the Japanese built Weavers.

5r0ajQz.jpg

• Like 1