Dick's Sporting Goods is taking a little dive

dbHunterNY

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/dicks-sporting-goods-mulls-dropping-hunting-gear/ar-BBQdrUy?fbclid=IwAR1o91d9E7xyzlyCyI1KSpzAaYu63ko5mzj3k-tL_5h9EXwpG66NHOVqnx8

"Sales continue to be negatively impacted by double-digit declines in hunt and electronics," CFO Lee Belitsky said. "Specific to hunt, in addition to the strategic decisions we made regarding firearms earlier this year, the broader industry has decelerated and remains weak, as evidenced by most recent background-check data" for firearms purchases.

The Pennsylvania-based retailer earlier reported a third-quarter net sales decline to $1.86 billion from $1.94 billion in the year-earlier period, with adjusted same-store sales down 3.9 percent.

If they axe Field &Stream in Latham Bass Pro/Cabelas is just primed to move in. Have to be. We have the population and there's nothing else here, except a very very limited amount of mom and pop places that are basically getting stiff competition by someone who owns all the gun stores around here.  Interesting to see what happens. The store is brand new so I'm thinking it's probably not on the list.  Another one is Gander Outdoors or whatever the heck it is but that's in the same political pickle.

If this should be in another section by all means move it. More wondering the future of the store location than making a proclamation from a soap box.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Im glad they are feeling the pinch. I have not made a purchase of any kind, including sports related gear for my grandson. I will not contribute to a business that is actively supporting, an infringement on my right to bare arms.

BassPro and online purchases have gotten all the money I would have spent in Dicks.

The Latham F&S store, would be perfect for a Cabelas or BassPro store! I hope to see it happen! I'd have no problem opening my wallet in there then!

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, grampy said:

Im glad they are feeling the pinch. I have not made a purchase of any kind, including sports related gear for my grandson. I will not contribute to a business that is actively supporting, an infringement on my right to bare arms.

BassPro and online purchases have gotten all the money I would have spent in Dicks.

The Latham F&S store, would be perfect for a Cabelas or BassPro store! I hope to see it happen! I'd have no problem opening my wallet in there then!

don't think it's enough realestate. there's options though. lots of warehouse distribution centers around but off the beaten trail for companies like FedEx.  They'd pull people from a big area surrounding area, not just right around Albany and the Hudson river.

I just think Dick's management made some bad decisions. Why on earth would someone build a huge new Field and Stream less than a mile from a Dicks, which continues to carry a lot of the exact same hunting, fishing, outdoor gear etc.  Big increase in operating costs and probably debt.. Did they really think they would make it up in increased sales? 

I like to buy a lot of my stuff from Acadmey Sports and Outdoors. They don’t have any physical locations around NY, but their online shipping is fast and the quality of their Game Winner and Magellan Outdoors brands are on par with Field and Stream and Cabela’s/Red Head in my opinion. A lot cheaper too. Just got my son a soft shell jacket and pants- wind/water resistant, quiet soft material, scent control of some kind (not too sure what it is) and I paid $40 for both. They were on sale for 50% off on Black Friday but even $80 is a decent price for something like that. They’re coming in this Friday. I expect the quality to be at least worth $40. I’ll report back if anyone cares. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/dicks-sporting-goods-mulls-dropping-hunting-gear/ar-BBQdrUy?fbclid=IwAR1o91d9E7xyzlyCyI1KSpzAaYu63ko5mzj3k-tL_5h9EXwpG66NHOVqnx8

"Sales continue to be negatively impacted by double-digit declines in hunt and electronics," CFO Lee Belitsky said. "Specific to hunt, in addition to the strategic decisions we made regarding firearms earlier this year, the broader industry has decelerated and remains weak, as evidenced by most recent background-check data" for firearms purchases.

The Pennsylvania-based retailer earlier reported a third-quarter net sales decline to $1.86 billion from $1.94 billion in the year-earlier period, with adjusted same-store sales down 3.9 percent.

If they axe Field &Stream in Latham Bass Pro/Cabelas is just primed to move in. Have to be. We have the population and there's nothing else here, except a very very limited amount of mom and pop places that are basically getting stiff competition by someone who owns all the gun stores around here.  Interesting to see what happens. The store is brand new so I'm thinking it's probably not on the list.  Another one is Gander Outdoors or whatever the heck it is but that's in the same political pickle.

If this should be in another section by all means move it. More wondering the future of the store location than making a proclamation from a soap box.

There was talk about Cabela's coming into Albany several yrs ago. The location was near the times union newspaper building close to wolf Rd and I87. They decided the market didn't support the cost and they scrapped the idea. 

I'd definitely like to see them come to the area. 

• Like 2

Just read a article where Dicks is doing a 10 store test and removing all hunting gear. Guns, clothing, ammo, optics, ECT.  These stores are the ones that are doing badly in this area. If all goes well, all 700+ stores could follow suit.  

https://www.wivb.com/news/national/dick-s-sporting-goods-mulls-ridding-hunting-supplies-from-all-732-stores/1626613299

Edited by mowin

I feel like I should thank Dicks/FS. The only purchase I made for hunting this season was a new wrap for my treestand that I picked up at Tractor Supply. Normally at the very least I would have purchased a new pack of broadheads, evercalm and a couple of bottles of scent killer. I am sure a lot more since I always seem to spend at least a couple hundred bucks while grabbing things I don't need while browsing. I should send them an email letting them know how much money they saved me. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OldNewbie said:

I just think Dick's management made some bad decisions. Why on earth would someone build a huge new Field and Stream less than a mile from a Dicks, which continues to carry a lot of the exact same hunting, fishing, outdoor gear etc.  Big increase in operating costs and probably debt.. Did they really think they would make it up in increased sales? 

Edit: quoted wrong post, meant to quote the post about Cabela's moving into the latham/smallbany area.

A couple years ago I read an article in the TU that they were looking at a plot close to the airport/Albany county hockey facility.  Then they opened one down near Woodbury I think?  That same spring I read an article about how their new stores were basically just cannibalising the business from their existing stores, so it was a bad investmeny.  Then here we are next year with bass pro owning Cabela's, and gradually just removing all the Cabela's brand gear and replacing it with redhead.  Not a fan.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

i think I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

I've not spent a dime at their stores since they took the actions they did. But the continuation of hunting relies on new hunters to pick up the tradition/sport. The harder and harder you make it for hunters to buy gear, the less and less likely the casual hunter will enter the woods. The casual hunters are really the ones we need. Some become hardcore, but at a minimum they're buying tags every year. 

Some anti-hunters and gun rights advocates are probably pleased to see this news. Make it harder for people to buy guns and ammo is a win for them. For example, I live in Rochester and since Gander left my options are extremely limited and most of my hunting gear is now bought online. I haven't had the need to buy guns and ammo recently, but I know my options are limited now. I also know that competition is good for the consumer. Recently I've seen that traditions archery has closed and guaranteed archery has limited hours due to the owners health issues. 

The more urban we become and the harder we make it for hunters to get into the sport, the more worried we should be about the history of hunting. I'm honestly more upset and saddened by what this company and its leaders chose to do. I think if they removed their CEO and made a statement of sorts I'd gladly spend my money their again. idk...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Storm914 said:

You can get better stuff online for less another reason they are losing money .

dicks will have some pretty good sales. especially on sneakers and sports gear. And in particular i like to see how noisy, bulky something is.

and that doesn't include guns and ammo online...

11 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

A couple years ago I read an article in the TU that they were looking at a plot close to the airport/Albany county hockey facility.  Then they opened one down near Woodbury I think?  That same spring I read an article about how their new stores were basically just cannibalising the business from their existing stores, so it was a bad investmeny.  Then here we are next year with bass pro owning Cabela's, and gradually just removing all the Cabela's brand gear and replacing it with redhead.  Not a fan.

During my travels this week I shopped at the Cabela's in Buffalo and the Bass Pro in Utica. Both had same exact gear - especially clothing. It is a bummer to lose the selection that the competing stores offered. 

4 minutes ago, MPHunter said:

During my travels this week I shopped at the Cabela's in Buffalo and the Bass Pro in Utica. Both had same exact gear - especially clothing. It is a bummer to lose the selection that the competing stores offered. 

Yeah, they bought out their main competitor and now we will most likely see a decline in the quality of the Cabela's gear.  Saddening. 

I went to that buffalo store before a bills game this year and it was just Redhead brand everywhere.  I asked the people working there if they had any medium weight Cabela's brand pants, big old fat nope.

Otherthing they did was sell the credit card to captial one.  I used to call the number on my Cabela's card and talk to Susan in KC.  I liked it.  Last and final time I called I talked to "Phil" in "ARKAndSAW".  So I opened an account with sefcu for about 1/2 the interest did a balance transfer, buh bye.

• Like 1

bears repeating too that many outdoorsman like myself also stopped buying atheltic gear, winter jackets, sneakers for my wife and 3 growing boys, golf gear etc.

So yeah dicks, your sales are slumping in those areas, but you also lost all that ancillary business families of 5 with 3 growing boys involved in sports gave you too.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yeah, they bought out their main competitor and now we will most likely see a decline in the quality of the Cabela's gear.  Saddening. 

I went to that buffalo store before a bills game this year and it was just Redhead brand everywhere.  I asked the people working there if they had any medium weight Cabela's brand pants, big old fat nope.

Otherthing they did was sell the credit card to captial one.  I used to call the number on my Cabela's card and talk to Susan in KC.  I liked it.  Last and final time I called I talked to "Phil" in "ARKAndSAW".  So I opened an account with sefcu for about 1/2 the interest did a balance transfer, buh bye.

holy hell i loved the automated dude voice for the Cabelas Club Visa card! It was this grizzly but soft spoken old guy straight out of a truck or farm commercial voice over. Now with Bass Pro's Capital One you get Donnell from the city. Still seems like good service just not as comforting to a country farm boy like myself. i'm dumbfounded at how much that affected me.

I wont totally write Dicks off, but they sure aren't my first stop...maybe my fourth or fifth.

I am really enjoying the new Gander Outdoors, despite what that CEO said earlier this year...

Also Runnings is way high on my list of favorite stores that sell all the hunting and fishing gear I'd ever want.

4 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

I wont totally write Dicks off, but they sure aren't my first stop...maybe my fourth or fifth.

I am really enjoying the new Gander Outdoors, despite what that CEO said earlier this year...

Also Runnings is way high on my list of favorite stores that sell all the hunting and fishing gear I'd ever want.

i thought i read somewhere that what he said was a fake news story. someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

holy hell i loved the automated dude voice for the Cabelas Club Visa card! It was this grizzly but soft spoken old guy straight out of a truck or farm commercial voice over. Now with Bass Pro's Capital One you get Donnell from the city. Still seems like good service just not as comforting to a country farm boy like myself. i'm dumbfounded at how much that affected me.

Sounded like the goddamned Marlboro man.  "If you don't buy 'Murrican made huntin' clothes and smoke 3 packs a day you can Eff off!" I heard it in my head every time.

• Like 1