Dick's Sporting Goods is taking a little dive

dbHunterNY

2 hours ago, mowin said:

There was talk about Cabela's coming into Albany several yrs ago. The location was near the times union newspaper building close to wolf Rd and I87. They decided the market didn't support the cost and they scrapped the idea. 

I'd definitely like to see them come to the area. 

that is kind of BS though. with striper and fishing on the Hudson boating and fishing all the bigger lakes up north. Pulling business across VT boarder. All the folks running up I87 to head up north for camping or hunting during various seasons throughout the year. Not many real strong competition. Eastern Mountain Sports, LL Bean, and other stores are very small tucked into a plaza or mall and lack inventory. Bigger problem is they're crazy expensive with little for deals considered as sales.  Bass Pro would absolutely destroy projected numbers with a location somewhere in the capital region. Have to have it outside the city of Albany though. Liberal a**holes there would rape Bass Pro with taxes way more than normal. Cuomo would see to it.

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

i thought i read somewhere that what he said was a fake news story. someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

He said something that did get blown out of portion and context that any Trump supporter is encouraged not to shop at his stores. The context of what he said was getting twisted from both sides. the owner Marcus whatever tried to say that he meant if you support Trumps stance and white supremacy then don't shop there, which was also quite a stretch from literal words said. bottom line is he's liberal as all hell and fell on his face a bit by saying i support the lifestyle and constitutional right kinda... or maybe not... we'll see. just like Dick's CEO Stack.

20 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

that is kind of BS though. with striper and fishing on the Hudson boating and fishing all the bigger lakes up north. Pulling business across VT boarder. All the folks running up I87 to head up north for camping or hunting during various seasons throughout the year. Not many real strong competition. Eastern Mountain Sports, LL Bean, and other stores are very small tucked into a plaza or mall and lack inventory. Bigger problem is they're crazy expensive with little for deals considered as sales.  Bass Pro would absolutely destroy projected numbers with a location somewhere in the capital region. Have to have it outside the city of Albany though. Liberal a**holes there would rape Bass Pro with taxes way more than normal. Cuomo would see to it.

My GF is up there in the hierarchy of the Albany Times Useless, and that is exactly what happened. That land is owned by the TU, and Cabellas really wanted to make a deal. The left wing extremists put the kibash on it though because of the politics (Field and Stream supports Dems, Dems gave them the Latham locale.)

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

bears repeating too that many outdoorsman like myself also stopped buying atheltic gear, winter jackets, sneakers for my wife and 3 growing boys, golf gear etc.

So yeah dicks, your sales are slumping in those areas, but you also lost all that ancillary business families of 5 with 3 growing boys involved in sports gave you too.

Yup, my wife and I bought 3 pairs of sneakers between us this summer and fall, and another pair as a gift to one granddaughter. In the past, I would have 100% purchased those from Dick's. Didn't do that this time.

I need a new winter coat and bought my last one at Dick's. Maybe JC Penney's this time.

Last Christmas, our grandson needed sports stuff. Along with some gifts, gave him a $100 Dick's gift card. He wants expensive sneakers this year. Won't be from Dick's.

According to my Cabela's order history, I spent over $1200 from Feb to October. Plus I know I spent over $800 at the Delaware Cabelas store this year, and used $300 worth of gift cards in the Buffalo location. Dick's would have gotten half of that total $2300 in the past. Cabela's got it all this year.

Public note to the CEO of Dick's - I don't care that you don't want to sell to 18 year olds. No AR sales in your store? Don't care. Cease your anti 2A lobbying efforts and I might consider purchasing from you again. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Buy most of my guns from Zach's ...it's the town of colonie whose not a fan of bass/ cabelas coming . The other 11 gun stores in capital district are owned by the  same guy .

he's built some up north and across the boarder into VT i just hope it won't sink any small mom and pop single location gun shops.  seems to be the intent though.

40 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Buy most of my guns from Zach's ...it's the town of colonie whose not a fan of bass/ cabelas coming . The other 11 gun stores in capital district are owned by the  same guy .

I've gotten pretty decent prices from American Shooter on Central.  Not great, but decent.  Got my Siggy for under 1500.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Yup...I think it had more to do with the town planners than the area not being able to support the store. About the same time Dick's was expanding their Latham Farms store to include Field & Stream. Just speculating, but I'm sure Dick's didn't want the competition and were an established tax payer wanting to expand (and pay more taxes). Wouldn't be surprised if Cabela's would be asking for tax incentives to locate in the town. Locating behind the Times Union also would exacerbate an already terrible traffic situation at that end of Wolf Road - especially rush hour and holidays - probably something that was considered by the town.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

i think I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

I've not spent a dime at their stores since they took the actions they did. But the continuation of hunting relies on new hunters to pick up the tradition/sport. The harder and harder you make it for hunters to buy gear, the less and less likely the casual hunter will enter the woods. The casual hunters are really the ones we need. Some become hardcore, but at a minimum they're buying tags every year. 

Some anti-hunters and gun rights advocates are probably pleased to see this news. Make it harder for people to buy guns and ammo is a win for them. For example, I live in Rochester and since Gander left my options are extremely limited and most of my hunting gear is now bought online. I haven't had the need to buy guns and ammo recently, but I know my options are limited now. I also know that competition is good for the consumer. Recently I've seen that traditions archery has closed and guaranteed archery has limited hours due to the owners health issues. 

The more urban we become and the harder we make it for hunters to get into the sport, the more worried we should be about the history of hunting. I'm honestly more upset and saddened by what this company and its leaders chose to do. I think if they removed their CEO and made a statement of sorts I'd gladly spend my money their again. idk...

But I think Culvers thread on his QDMA branch developing new hunters by providing a mentor and more important a place to hunt is way more important then one store selling cheap hunting pants.

Access is the problem for many and the quality in a county like mine for public land is problematical at best. I did surveys with DEC; the number of deer on the local, relative small public land is abysmal at best. (On contrast numbers on neighboring private exceed carrying capacity, we surveyed by permission those properties also).

Cheap jackets and a place to buy bullets is not going to change larger context issues for hunter recruitment.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I've gotten pretty decent prices from American Shooter on Central.  Not great, but decent.  Got my Siggy for under 1500.

used to buy thousands of dollars worth of guns and bows from there and sister stores owned by the same guy. i now buy from what smaller shops are left.  I bought a Sig P226 Elite Scorpion and Beretta PX4 Storm from Oakwood that's now a Stewart's parking lot. From that store I've bought lots of stuff, including a Savage varmint rifle and Benelli 12ga. Also, from archery shop downstairs that's the same owner i've bought a number of $2k dollar bow setups. i don't shop there now for anything due to reasons that are my own that i won't get into on here. it sucks because i loved going to the different shops because of the people that worked there. still call some friends.

6 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

The owner of NY Shooter Supply, is a pretty cool guy. Last time I was there, we talked various topics for almost an hour! He really gets animated on some of them.....lol.  He's giving me some ideas on a predator rig. When I'm ready, and make the decision, I'll buy from him. I recommend anyone in the area, to go check him out. If he doesn't have what you want, in store, he can get it for you. 

Reloading supplies are fairly priced, and a pretty good selection as well.

Also have used Gunsmoke, on Campbell Ave in Rotterdam. Some nice guys working there, and very knowledgeable.

Best part is......non of them are Dicks!

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Then they opened one down near Woodbury I think?  

Woodbury site was cleared and prepped; but the sale of Cabelas to Bass Pro halted construction.

Johnny Morris was smart to leave BassPro in basically private hands, although he brought on board several investment firms to finance Cabelas purchase. One of the reason Capital one has bought the credit card business of Cabelas Visa.

Cabelas family made out like bandits when they went public, I don't blame them, the sold at maximum profit potential. But running a store based on bottom lines in a board room can take away the traditions built for a customer base and that was the beginning of the end for the quality of their house brand IMO.

I've dealt with new Capital One customer service several times in last couple months. Has been as good as any one I have ever called.

I call to make sure to put a note when I travel out of the country to approve purchases by date and cap total amounts. They called on my date of return to make sure a hotel lunch buffet bill was approved as I inadvertently clipped a day off my travel itinerary.

6 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

But I think Culvers thread on his QDMA branch developing new hunters by providing a mentor and more important a place to hunt is way more important then one store selling cheap hunting pants.

Access is the problem for many and the quality in a county like mine for public land is problematical at best. I did surveys with DEC; the number of deer on the local, relative small public land is abysmal at best. (On contrast numbers on neighboring private exceed carrying capacity, we surveyed by permission those properties also).

Cheap jackets and a place to buy bullets is not going to change larger context issues for hunter recruitment.

if i could like this more than once i would. our branch out east has it's own issues and with lots of irons in the fire, almost too many. It's awesome what Culver's group is doing. Problems we've run into in the past with recruiting new hunters is finding them or helping them find a sustainable place to hunt. Inevitably people offering to take them can only accept so many, especially when we have less deer per square mile. it's a real make or break situation when you have a new hunter looking for a place to hunt along with everyone else. it's a hard pill to shallow that easier accessed land whether private or public is over pressured and crowded. On our co-ops there's properties that complain there's no deer and then we show them harvest records for their neighbors that do more habitat work and/or have less hunters and their lost for words.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

i agree with your points, what I meant to say or would rephrase to say is that it doesn't help.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

The owner of NY Shooter Supply, is a pretty cool guy. Last time I was there, we talked various topics for almost an hour! He really gets animated on some of them.....lol.  He's giving me some ideas on a predator rig. When I'm ready, and make the decision, I'll buy from him. I recommend anyone in the area, to go check him out. If he doesn't have what you want, in store, he can get it for you. 

Reloading supplies are fairly priced, and a pretty good selection as well.

Also have used Gunsmoke, on Campbell Ave in Rotterdam. Some nice guys working there, and very knowledgeable.

Best part is......non of them are Dicks!

I'm not sure what is so polarizing about Brian Olesen for some on this forum......seems many can't even utter the name. Whats the secret?

I've spent not a small sum there over the years including trading/selling/buying new and used.

Always get to speak with him on phone to make a deal if hes not around with no issues.

Sold me my first Blaser and that may have been my downfall in life. LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Access is important, but I have to disagree with the statement on availability of cheap clothing and ammo. If you can't get ammo, developing basic skills/interest doesn't happen. Many tin cans and soda bottles get harvested long before your first game animal... keep the cost of entry high enough, it becomes cheaper to play a round of golf...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DICKs / F&S may have put the final nail in the coffin with their stupidity . I purchased a MacKenzie Crossbow target for my youngest son at Field and Stream in Henrietta yesterday . The target was $49.99 and I had a $10 off a $50 purchase . They wouldn't give me the $10 off because I was a penny short . They always had accepted this for years . Now all of a sudden they won't . I had to buy another item to be able to use the coupon . They really know how to piss people off . 

1 minute ago, fasteddie said:

DICKs / F&S may have put the final nail in the coffin with their stupidity . I purchased a MacKenzie Crossbow target for my youngest son at Field and Stream in Henrietta yesterday . The target was $49.99 and I had a $10 off a $50 purchase . They wouldn't give me the $10 off because I was a penny short . They always had accepted this for years . Now all of a sudden they won't . I had to buy another item to be able to use the coupon . They really know how to piss people off . 

I've always grabbed a pack of gum to get me over the 50, I wouldn't be to upset about it, technically it's under 50.

Edit: quoted wrong post, meant to quote the post about Cabela's moving into the latham/smallbany area.

A couple years ago I read an article in the TU that they were looking at a plot close to the airport/Albany county hockey facility.  Then they opened one down near Woodbury I think?  That same spring I read an article about how their new stores were basically just cannibalising the business from their existing stores, so it was a bad investmeny.  Then here we are next year with bass pro owning Cabela's, and gradually just removing all the Cabela's brand gear and replacing it with redhead.  Not a fan.

They did not open Woodbury but I wish they did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Capital District will never see a Bass Pro or Cabella's IMO, to many libtards. Even Saratoga had gone bat shit crazy to the point where the gun show up there will not happen again anytime soon.

We were in F&S today, my wifes employer gave her a $250 gift card for the store, and I sure as hell am not about to waste that gift.. I hate their policies now as much as the next, but she got a nice pair of Bushnell Binos, she bought me/us a box of Hornady American Whitatail .25-06 ammo for $22, she also was kind enough to but me a turkey call pack that was on clearance for $15.

Sorry, local gun shops can very high on the ammo for the deer rifles I have, .7mm-08 and .25-06 are pricey in those shops, because it's readily available in most stores. I tried to sell a box of Federal Fusion ammo in .25-06 that I paid $50 for at Gunsmoke. People said I was crazy, but that's what I paid, sorry, that's extremely high of a price point.

My wife will end up getting her hunting chair from F&S, we may get more ammo, and maybe some fishing stuff for her. Who knows? I sure as hell am not going to complain about a $250 gift for my wife that will help ease up on my wallet what I have to buy for her, just for the reason I don't like the top dogs policy.

Go ahead, bash away, I don't care.