Steve Rinella.......

Lawdwaz

9 minutes ago, Rattler said:

He's got a great chapter in the "Meat Eater" book about falling in love when he first met his wife to be and moving to Brooklyn, NY because she worked in the city.  It's funny because he was advertising he was a hunter to all of his neighbors with antlers on the walls, inside and out, and wearing camo on the street.  Great way to show you ain't feeling guilty about your healthy lifestyle.

Wasn't he eating the pigeons too while living in the city?

I believe he was.  LOL!  He was doing some hunting in upstate NY at the time too.  I invited him to hunt with me on my land back then, but he said he was going to Alaska for the hunting season.  He finally convinced his wife to move out of Brooklyn about 2 years later.

• Like 1

I've eaten a barn-full of pigeons over the years. They were almost a staple in my Granparent's house. In fancy restaurants they're called squab. They're pigeons. Roof rats.

They're tasty though and a lot of fun to hunt and wing shoot.

I'll look into Rinella's stuff. Sounds like an interesting guy. I see the show "Meat Eater" advertised on Netflix now and then. I'm assuming it's the same guy. I've been known to 'binge-watch' when work gets slow. That doesn't happen much with Trump at the helm, but sometimes I just take a break.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I've eaten a barn-full of pigeons over the years. They were almost a staple in my Granparent's house. In fancy restaurants they're called squab. They're pigeons. Roof rats.

They're tasty though and a lot of fun to hunt and wing shoot.

I'll look into Rinella's stuff. Sounds like an interesting guy. I see the show "Meat Eater" advertised on Netflix now and then. I'm assuming it's the same guy. I've been known to 'binge-watch' when work gets slow. That doesn't happen much with Trump at the helm, but sometimes I just take a break.

yeah same guy, but i will admit that his earlier seasons are better and unfortunately not available at this time on netflix.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

No, I don't believe that was his reason.  It was (I'd like to think he wasn't BS'ing) the reason I stated. 

i remember the bucks i passed that i shouldn't have more so than the bucks i should've passed and didn't. maybe there's something to what he said.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Belo said:

The way he talks about game prep really has me interested in trying some more things like the ribs, heart and liver that I have not tried in the past. 

If you try the nuts, make sure to do them with butter like him and Chef do.  I used olive oil the last time, and they were not as good.   Also remember to slit them first, so they don't "explode" in the frying pan.  

I only like liver from a 6 month old deer.   On the older ones, it is always a bit too tough for my liking.  Pickled heart is very good.   

22 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

What made me laugh was when he and his crew got trichnosis because he didnt properly cook a bear he shot in alaska. 

That makes it easier to understand why he passed that bear from the initial post.  I would be pretty reluctant to kill another if that happened to me.   

I just saw a video not too long ago on youtube where Randy Newberg and his group prepared some Elk nuts and then ate them.  Just the look of them turning a weird yellow color in the pan looked absolutely horrid.  So the critters jizz is circulating thru these things and then I am supposed to eat them?   No way!   I can get pork loin for a little over $2 a pound at Costco, so animal nuts definitely won't be ending up on my plate.

• Like 2

My parents and  family are from Sicily and my grandparents were sheep farmers on both sides, Lets just say back then nothing went to waste. My dad and mom have taught me to eat and try everything, till this day there are very few things i haven't eaten or have tried. My last deer we ate the tongue,  brain, nuts ,liver and heart.  Dont knock something  until you have tried it. Wont know until you try it. I have learned to look past things like texture, the looks of it etc..and just chow down. Theres not much i haven't eaten on a deer, we let nothing go to waste...lol..jeez my post just made me hungry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

My parents and  family are from Sicily and my grandparents were sheep farmers on both sides, Lets just say back then nothing went to waste. My dad and mom have taught me to eat and try everything, till this day there are very few things i haven't eaten or have tried. My last deer we ate the tongue,  brain, nuts ,liver and heart.  Dont knock something  until you have tried it. Wont know until you try it. I have learned to look past things like texture, the looks of it etc..and just chow down. Theres not much i haven't eaten on a deer, we let nothing go to waste...lol..jeez my post just made me hungry.

i'm going to try tongue and some point too. My thing with nuts is kinda what Steve said. I'm not hurting for food, so it's just not going to happen for me. If i was starving in the woods? Of course I'd eat them.

40 minutes ago, Belo said:

i'm going to try tongue and some point too. My thing with nuts is kinda what Steve said. I'm not hurting for food, so it's just not going to happen for me. If i was starving in the woods? Of course I'd eat them.

For me i dont need to hunt for food but i enjoy venison so much  that its would be extremely  hard to live without it. For me its just a matter of trying new things, if i dont like it thats fine but i will still try it.  Guess its just how some are raised up.

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

For me i dont need to hunt for food but i enjoy venison so much  that its would be extremely  hard to live without it. For me its just a matter of trying new things, if i dont like it thats fine but i will still try it.  Guess its just how some are raised up.

i like venison too... not nuts. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The only thing that makes me gag while gutting is looking at the caul fat. My favorite is when it twitches

draped over a fresh heart and roasted over an open fire - can't beat it - although I usually wait for the pizza

rinella actually used it over a roast in one of his shows

Edited by moog5050
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...