I know what I did .what would you do?

G-Man

Recently I have had a person road hunting my neighborhood . I see the vehicle and know make model,ect but cant get close enough for plate number as he takes off when another car comes along.. I thought about trying to get plate with binoculars  but road is sunken in spots and curvy. Not an easy thing to get. The occupant doenst seem that old or handicapped.  I worry more about being shot by a round sent across the field than losing a deer to this guy. I have friends and family in the woods and have had rounds from road hit around me before in years past..  fortunately I have a few dec officers cell numbers and placed a call.. I hope they at least catch him with loaded gun in vehicle ... getting a deer isnt that hard and why risk getting fine ticket..perhaps if they took enough initiative as they did trying to hunt illegally and knock on a few doors they could still hunt the same area and do so legally... end of rant....

• Like 1

I’d call sheriff’s, and troopers, DEC....explain the situation, tell them if it’s certain times, days, etc so maybe they can sit somewhere.  I would also probably chase the vehicle down to be honest....find where he lives, and get that plate.  This info acquired might not help any, but I would feel better knowing it honestly....

I had same issue but luckily no shoys but i caught someone doing it at my lease and called the owners up.  They headed towards their house where the lease owner was waiting for them at the end of their road. No issues since,  no cops were called just a very direct conversation got the point across.

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

They run robo deer stings on northwoods law all the time.  Call the DEC. I’m pretty sure they’d enjoy getting it done 

They we're doing that right around the corner from the farm last weekend, I didn't get to see it though.  Talked to the DEC officer opening weekend, nice enough guy.

11 hours ago, G-Man said:

Recently I have had a person road hunting my neighborhood . I see the vehicle and know make model,ect but cant get close enough for plate number as he takes off when another car comes along.. I thought about trying to get plate with binoculars  but road is sunken in spots and curvy. Not an easy thing to get. The occupant doenst seem that old or handicapped.  I worry more about being shot by a round sent across the field than losing a deer to this guy. I have friends and family in the woods and have had rounds from road hit around me before in years past..  fortunately I have a few dec officers cell numbers and placed a call.. I hope they at least catch him with loaded gun in vehicle ... getting a deer isnt that hard and why risk getting fine ticket..perhaps if they took enough initiative as they did trying to hunt illegally and knock on a few doors they could still hunt the same area and do so legally... end of rant....

If you have an extra cam (better if two), put one up on road near where they are doing it. I have two cams on the driveway of my lease (one to catch front plate, one for rear) and have caught multiple trespassers this year, very effective. Make sure it is level with plate and not too far off the road.

Edited by CapDistPatriot
Added content

8 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

If you have an extra cam (better if two), put one up on road near where they are doing it. I have two cams on the driveway of my lease (one to catch front plate, one for rear) and have caught multiple trespassers this year, very effective. Make sure it is level with plate and not too far off the road.

Aren’t both plates the same numbers? :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Steal his car? I LIKE that thought!!

Same here! Do it while he's gutting. Can you imagine the look on his face when he's arms deep in a poached deer carcass and looks toward the road to see his car leaving and stranding him at the scene of the crime?

Remember, you're not stealing it, just moving it for him. 2-3 miles down the road.

• Like 1

we just had DEC snag a couple and there's a another reported in the area of our QDM co-op. everybody being vested we share the description in emails between co-ops that border each other and on social media. community then keeps a watchful eye.  something that does scare the hell of out them is take an older deer mount or dead bloated deer found and set it up on a saw horse in the bushes but clearly visible enough from the road. we'll here them shoot from the garage multiple times until they figure it out and then you hear tires lighting up. probably terrified their about to get nabbed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

They run robo deer stings on northwoods law all the time.  Call the DEC. I’m pretty sure they’d enjoy getting it done 

we've had two commissioned, built, and donated to the ECO's for use in our QDMA branch's area. they work.

I saw a setup last year on my way to hunt one morning past Verona beach. Park. Right where you turn off main road and headlights go was a deer .  But it was waayyyy to stiff legged and just didn't look real. I went real slow cause I knew right away it wasn't real.  A bad setup lol.  But they prob thought ....hes gonna stop and shoot....but i was looking to see if I could spot their vehicles too.  It was so obvious. 

People who road hunters are lazy, A-holes! DEC needs to change the set-back for firing a long gun from any public road, exc private. IRC, all they need to be is "off" the road & not shoot across one. Problem is they have absolutely no consideration for private property and will trespass at will! Nor do they take into consideration what's behind or around the deer they're shooting at.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, CapDistPatriot said:

Ha-ha-ha..... Don't count too much on license plate numbers. I have seen a pile of them that even with a good picture you likely wouldn't be able to read it. How are people getting away with all these unreadable "peeling" license plates.