Anybody Try the Golf Ball Trick?

Five Seasons

Ive done it and it works very well but I found the time to set it up was equal to the time it takes to just skin the deer. Ive done it hanging and also on the ground using the base of a tree. One time it pulled the deer right in half but the backstraps were hanging from the top part perfectly intact lol, it was great

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Thanks 1

When I cut up my my deer i get the hide off ASAP . So I have a old pair of leather gloves I wear that allows me to get a good hold of the slippery inside of the hide. I get the hide started by cutting around the neck and front legs  then grab ahold and pull down to the hind quarters. I have had good luck this way. I dont see why the golf ball would not work.  

Edited by rob-c

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

When I cut up my my deer I have a old pair of leather gloves I wear that allows me to get a good hold of the slippery inside of the hide. I get the hide started by cutting around the neck and front leags then grab ahold and pull down to the hind quarters. I have had good luck this way. Do I font see why the golf ball would not work.  

Ive got the caliper thing from cabelas with the spikes, its fantastic

That’s how I do it but I don’t use a golf ball and I don’t do it on the ground like in that video.

My barn is 22’ to the rafters. I have a 55gal drum filled with concrete buried beneath the floor with an anchor buried in the concrete. Lift the deer till it’s off the ground use a set of duck bill vise grips that I’ve welded some teeth on and a loop to attach cable to anchor and hit the up button on the winch.

Hole process takes less than 5 minutes, with the longest part being starting the neck and the actual winching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob-c said:

When I cut up my my deer i get the hide off ASAP . So I have a old pair of leather gloves I wear that allows me to get a good hold of the slippery inside of the hide. I get the hide started by cutting around the neck and front legs  then grab ahold and pull down to the hind quarters. I have had good luck this way. I dont see why the golf ball would not work.  

that was my issue with my second deer this year. the first pulled nicely, and I'm going to equate it to colder temps but i had a dammed hard time pulling the hide off the second one. I watched this video below this morning and there's no way any deer I've shot has ever come off that easy. 

I've thought about buying one of those hide puller tools to save on my hands.

• 10 months later...
On 11/29/2018 at 11:41 AM, Belo said:

that was my issue with my second deer this year. the first pulled nicely, and I'm going to equate it to colder temps but i had a dammed hard time pulling the hide off the second one. I watched this video below this morning and there's no way any deer I've shot has ever come off that easy. 

I've thought about buying one of those hide puller tools to save on my hands.

good video that touches on a lot that i learned over the years.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:00 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

That’s how I do it but I don’t use a golf ball and I don’t do it on the ground like in that video.

My barn is 22’ to the rafters. I have a 55gal drum filled with concrete buried beneath the floor with an anchor buried in the concrete. Lift the deer till it’s off the ground use a set of duck bill vise grips that I’ve welded some teeth on and a loop to attach cable to anchor and hit the up button on the winch.

Hole process takes less than 5 minutes, with the longest part being starting the neck and the actual winching.

Id love to see that in action

1 hour ago, Cory said:

I have never tried but always wanted to. But then again i don’t process my own deer and the butcher skins them in less than 5 minutes. But in Colorado you must skin the animal before you drop it off or they charge you like 100 bucks. 

shoot if you've already got it skinned that's the harder part. $400 for a grinder and vac sealer and you're good for life, pays for itself. 

Set up took too long (without having some of the serious modifications that some above have-jealous!). Not doing it again.

I too like to skin immediately to speed the process and remove the ticks (Columbia county and Westchester are nasty with them). Zips off pretty quick with fresh kills - the necks is always a pain in the ass but whats the rush!!!!

• Like 2