Osage Orange

Does anyone in the WNY area know of a stand or hedge of Osage Orange?

ł would like to get a hold of some hedge apples to break open so ł can start a hedge from seed. 

If anyone has some they are willing to share or knows of a place on public land ł would be very appreciative.

I don't know if it grows naturally around here. Then again, my brother is growing fig trees in Oaks corners, NY, though. I guess anything is possible.

I have friends in the south who cut and burn osage orange for heat. Dense and hard. Hard on saws and chains. PM me if you want a contact point. They'd probably throw a few nuts in a box for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I don't know if it grows naturally around here. Then again, my brother is growing fig trees in Oaks corners, NY, though. I guess anything is possible.

I have friends in the south who cut and burn osage orange for heat. Dense and hard. Hard on saws and chains. PM me if you want a contact point. They'd probably throw a few nuts in a box for you.

minutes ago, zag said:

Ok I might have some but I'm sure you can  find some closer than me.

Thank you, if ł can't find any local ł will certainly take you both up on this. (Wouldn't hurt to mix seed from multiple sources in to my trench.)

ł have a feeling there is some nearby.

It grows in zones 5-9 and is known to be about the most impenetrable hedge you can plant. So much so, it was used to herd livestock before barbed wire. 

Edited by XGX7PM

ł had never heard of it before today, was listening to a random podcast about Woodlot management and it was mentioned. 

Podcast was done by a homesteader based in NY and was hosting a Farmer out of PA. 

Started reading about it and now ł want to grow some on my land. Not 100% sure where ł eill locate it but ł have a few ideas. 

1 minute ago, zag said:

Yep they are around. I had some in the house for decoration but my wife threw them away. I'll check our tree this weekend and see if there are any. I'll mail it to ya if I find one.

That would be awesome Zag, thank you!

11 hours ago, XGX7PM said:

Does anyone in the WNY area know of a stand or hedge of Osage Orange?

ł would like to get a hold of some hedge apples to break open so ł can start a hedge from seed. 

If anyone has some they are willing to share or knows of a place on public land ł would be very appreciative.

Their were some growing along east side of  Hess Rd. up north of Ridge Rd. oh maybe 4 miles or so. 

Main use was for hedgerows to keep livestock in, fence posts, wagon wheels and bows. If I wanted to make a bow, I might use osage.  It takes a tree 10 years to start producing the 'hedge balls'. We have a local farm here named after the tree.  You can also buy the seeds or even the trees online of course.

https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_mapo.pdf

Edited by genesee_mohican
more

Hedge Apple is excellent Cottontail forage once 3-4" of dense snow is on the ground. When I hunted Cottontails in S Indiana we used to key in on Osage Orange with thick ground cover near by.

The Beagles would soon be baying on some hot bunny trails.

Edited by wildcat junkie

15 hours ago, philoshop said:

Figs?!

10 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Just curious, what would be the benefit of having these trees on your property? There are a couple growing in the woods behind my house, but it already sounds like other members have got you covered.

Years down the road ł can harvest some for various woodworking projects.

ł haven't found anything that indicates Ruffed Grouse will like this but my gut tells me they will. Any wildlife calling it home will be nice whether it be rabbits, birds... Woodchucks be damned.

Also wouldn't hurt to have this as a wind break on the northernmost parts of my property especially since that's where ł am most susceptible to trespassers. (2 in 5 years)

• Like 1