trail cam - hiding vs spooking

Robhuntandfish

any good suggestions on hiding trail cams better or better ideas to keep them unseen?   

I seem to have a lot of deer look right at them and have pics of them spooking due to cams.  I am really considering not using them next year in my hunting areas.  I really like to see what bucks are in the area but its not really a necessity at this point as i am not planning on moving stands due to any trail cam pics i have gotten. I only go to check them about every 3-4 weeks as i dont want to be in there much.  But i def see where they look at the camera often and then see a pic of them obviously spooked by it.  So...... should i bag using them?  maybe only place them in spots to get picks from above?   

Its tough to conceal them with branches too much as anything in front of it triggers a pic of course.  thoughts?  

I hate to not use them cause its fun and inspiring to see some big bucks but would rather have them come by my stand !

Edited by Robhuntandfish

i thought i had another set still on in my google photos but must have took them off and deleted them. trail passes right by the tree leading to or from a field. deer are spitting distance but the camera is up 7 feet. they rarely ever seem to notice it. if you put it at eye level a deer will eventually check it out and sniff it. i bring scent free field wipes with me to wipe them down or use nitrile gloves if they're low. also they to use rubber boots and not touch vegitation. leave less presence. 

• Like 3

think i need to go with them higher up. Unfortunatley mine dont have the field scan mode.  Def need to do something different as i know they are spooking deer.  Maybe i will make some of those brackets that someone had on another thread and try them more from above than eye level.  I hate not to use them they are fun.... but not as fun as seeing deer!  

thanks db! 

2 hours ago, CapDistPatriot said:

I wish my cams could do that.

cheapest cams don't have the feature but many out there that do. just takes a picture after however many seconds or minutes it's set to and within whatever time period of the day or night you set. basically a time lapse. i use it a lot at field or food plot edges.

I'm curious about the "obviously spooked by them" comment and how you know this? One still photo and one running away? ;) 

I usually put mine about 9-10 feet up in a tree, more to help prevent theft than anything. I havee an older, crappier, "brighter", noisier one that I put at the base of trees because I don't care if it gets stolen. Even in photos where it's pretty obvious they know the camera is there (day or night), I've never seen anything to lead me to believe the were spooked by it. 

Edited by cas

1 hour ago, cas said:

I'm curious about the "obviously spooked by them" comment and how you know this? One still photo and one running away? ;) 

I usually put mine about 9-10 feet up in a tree, more to help prevent theft than anything. I havee an older, crappier, "brighter", noisier one that I put at the base of trees because I don't care if it gets stolen. Even in photos where it's pretty obvious they know the camera is there (day or night), I've never seen anything to lead me to believe the were spooked by it. 

Have a ton of pics that the deer looks at cam then tail up and running pics.  Happens a lot.  Or have like 6 pics of them checking out cams up close then running away pic.   I use a 5 second delay so I usually get a series of the same deer. 

Yeah, maybe... Depends on where the cam is located on typical travel routes or browse areas. Directly on a path, yeah they notice the cam, whether mounted hi or low. Off the path, pointed along the path & s/u 6-7' off the ground, not so noticeable. Okay, so initially a deer might get spooked by smells, lights or flash, JMO they'll get use to them. They might notice cam lights/sounds, but will eventually ignore them. Don't really believe it's the cam itself that's being seen. Just from my experience!

Last 8-10 cams I've had have the field scan option, Not once have I used this, already get enough photos/vids of nothing-ness. Rather rely on something triggering the cam than it going off at timed intervals regardless of what's around!

Edited by nyslowhand

My mature deer(bucks and does) absolutely hate trail cameras. They will avoid them at all costs once they find them. They dont vacate the area but they will move through the area a different way. The only way I can get away with them not noticing the camera is either brushing it in and making it very hard to find.. or hang it up high facing down, but even those cams tend to be seen as well. I also switch cams out for black flash only cams, in areas that im tracking a particular cam shy buck. A lot of deer see the strap around trees before they notice the camera its self, If you can avoid using a strap and get a tree mount of some sort, you'll be better off. you cna screw them on almost any type of tree, branch, brush etc.. and they become less noticeable instantly. Also using a small camera with a "good" camo theme to it helps wonders..   Ive had to change my ways up big time the last 2 years chasing these 2 old bucks, and believe me it has worked wonders. Have gotten more pics of them in 2 years than i have the 9 years they've been alive. 

Between "brushing" the cam in and using the black flash models, so they cant physically see the camera, or the red glow in regular IR cams. They walk right by and never notice it. 

You have to remember other people are using cams to, and as scent proof as you may be when dealing with them, somebody is not, and somehow someway in their brains built for survival, they have put these cams on the danger list.. Whether they've been shot at in front of them, smelling weird things off them etc.. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

My mature deer(bucks and does) absolutely hate trail cameras. They will avoid them at all costs once they find them. They dont vacate the area but they will move through the area a different way. The only way I can get away with them not noticing the camera is either brushing it in and making it very hard to find.. or hang it up high facing down, but even those cams tend to be seen as well. I also switch cams out for black flash only cams, in areas that im tracking a particular cam shy buck. A lot of deer see the strap around trees before they notice the camera its self, If you can avoid using a strap and get a tree mount of some sort, you'll be better off. you cna screw them on almost any type of tree, branch, brush etc.. and they become less noticeable instantly. Also using a small camera with a "good" camo theme to it helps wonders..   Ive had to change my ways up big time the last 2 years chasing these 2 old bucks, and believe me it has worked wonders. Have gotten more pics of them in 2 years than i have the 9 years they've been alive. 

Between "brushing" the cam in and using the black flash models, so they cant physically see the camera, or the red glow in regular IR cams. They walk right by and never notice it. 

You have to remember other people are using cams to, and as scent proof as you may be when dealing with them, somebody is not, and somehow someway in their brains built for survival, they have put these cams on the danger list.. Whether they've been shot at in front of them, smelling weird things off them etc.. 

yeah thats what i have been thinking too.  And the fact there is something new in the area - and they see it.  Gonna try going higher and angling them down more.  I have a couple of regular spots that they seem to not notice but dont want them any more wary than they already are just for a pic.  I am gonna hunt these areas anyway so hate to disturb them .  I have a buddy who is a constant trail cam checker, been tellign him he shouldnt be in there so much. I actually in one of my places to hunt dont put the cams near my stands but on our lease there isnt a lot of choices for trails etc or even trees to put them up on.  

thinking next year gonna restrict using them some and when i do place them higher.   Its tough enough to get a buck to come in , and hate when i get a pic of them running from my cam with full flag!     

• Like 1

I try to keep my cameras on the outside, more easily accessed places. Less chance for disturbance. Seldom do i put a cam up in deep. And if i do i try my best to hide it, and not disturb the area. And only check it if Im going in to hunt or something. Put a big card in it, and maybe never check until season is over. Cams are great. I have a cell cam i won in a raffle that i put on the down wind side of my sanctuary, brushed it in pretty well and its done exactly what i needed it to do. I dont have to check it bc it sends them to me and the area is left alone..

Except spypoint lost verizon service coverage opening day and it hasnt had  service since..   

I wouldnt say dont use them, Just be weary about how you use them. Get rid if straps if you can. Use screw in tree mounts whenever possible, you can still hide them pretty well.  Ive taken them and strapped them to a branch then used the exxcess length of strap to tie in more branches and such.. anything to brush it in best possible.. 

Even just by hanging a cam and kicking over dirt or something in the immediate area is enough to trigger a deers nose and make it wonder..  

• Like 1

If you really want to see how bad they spook, use video mode. I used to hang my cams like most guys do, about 4 feet up with a strap, and then I started using video mode on them. What I saw was crazy. Anytime I had deer look at the cam, and even sometimes when they didnt, Id see them turn inside out pretty quickly. Not all deer did that, but the vast majority did. I changed my strategy a few years ago, I hardly ever get deer looking at them or spooking from them anymore. Heres my strategy with cams.

1 - Black Flash. I cant stress this one enough, red IR cams are ok, but deer see them when they trigger. I actually think white flash cams probably spook less deer than red IR cams do. A white flash is probably thought of as lightning or something like that to a deer. A sudden glow that they can see, well, nothing natural about that. I prefer to stay away from both issues, so invisible flash it is.

2 - Put them up high. I put my cams at around 7 feet up on average. I use homemade screw in mounts that are fully adjustable and just angle them down. Having them lower makes for better looking pictures, but Im not looking to win any photo contests, Im looking to see what type of activity is going on, and get an idea of the bucks in the area.

3 - Location. I try to keep all of my cams in spots where I can check them without ever setting my feet on the ground. I like to drive my ATV or tractor up to them, swap the card, and leave as quickly as possible. The less disturbance, and scent left behind, the better. If theres a spot I want a cam thats not all that easy to get to, I either check it very infrequently, or I go with a cell cam, like I did this year. I will actually be switching all of the cams on the peoperty I own to Cuddeback black flash Cuddelink cams this coming year. The only time Ill have to physically go to them will be when the batteries need swapped out.

4 - Dont use straps. Think about it for a second, the straps are cloth, cloth holds scent longer than a hard, non-porous material. As I said above, I use screw in brackets and python locks where I feel they are needed.

5 - Let them sit outside. Before I ever take a camera out into the woods, I let it sit outside on the deck for a week or so. I dont turn it on, I just let it air out so to speak. I also put the mount and Python lock out there with it. Before I head out to put it in the woods, it goes into a plastic bag until I get to the spot its going to be hung. When i hang it, it gets sprayed down with scent killer spray just for good measure.

6 - Dont check them too much. 2 weeks is about as frequently as I check my regular cams unless its during the season, then I only check them when Im in that spot to hunt.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you really want to see how bad they spook, use video mode. I used to hang my cams like most guys do, about 4 feet up with a strap, and then I started using video mode on them. What I saw was crazy. Anytime I had deer look at the cam, and even sometimes when they didnt, Id see them turn inside out pretty quickly. Not all deer did that, but the vast majority did. I changed my strategy a few years ago, I hardly ever get deer looking at them or spooking from them anymore. Heres my strategy with cams.

1 - Black Flash. I cant stress this one enough, red IR cams are ok, but deer see them when they trigger. I actually think white flash cams probably spook less deer than red IR cams do. A white flash is probably thought of as lightning or something like that to a deer. A sudden glow that they can see, well, nothing natural about that. I prefer to stay away from both issues, so invisible flash it is.

2 - Put them up high. I put my cams at around 7 feet up on average. I use homemade screw in mounts that are fully adjustable and just angle them down. Having them lower makes for better looking pictures, but Im not looking to win any photo contests, Im looking to see what type of activity is going on, and get an idea of the bucks in the area.

3 - Location. I try to keep all of my cams in spots where I can check them without ever setting my feet on the ground. I like to drive my ATV or tractor up to them, swap the card, and leave as quickly as possible. The less disturbance, and scent left behind, the better. If theres a spot I want a cam thats not all that easy to get to, I either check it very infrequently, or I go with a cell cam, like I did this year. I will actually be switching all of the cams on the peoperty I own to Cuddeback black flash Cuddelink cams this coming year. The only time Ill have to physically go to them will be when the batteries need swapped out.

4 - Dont use straps. Think about it for a second, the straps are cloth, cloth holds scent longer than a hard, non-porous material. As I said above, I use screw in brackets and python locks where I feel they are needed.

5 - Let them sit outside. Before I ever take a camera out into the woods, I let it sit outside on the deck for a week or so. I dont turn it on, I just let it air out so to speak. I also put the mount and Python lock out there with it. Before I head out to put it in the woods, it goes into a plastic bag until I get to the spot its going to be hung. When i hang it, it gets sprayed down with scent killer spray just for good measure.

6 - Dont check them too much. 2 weeks is about as frequently as I check my regular cams unless its during the season, then I only check them when Im in that spot to hunt.

All good info right there thanks!

i usually only put mine out August 1 and then check them sept 1 and then again when i am in area hunting on the way out.  I also leave them in my hunting shed so they dont get house smells. 

thinking i will disable any with red flash and do daytime only mode. Cause i agree it seems like it scares the crap out of them. And I have to walk into properties to get them unfortunetly so no wheeler option which makes sense and would be great.  And i am gonna go with those higher mounts and without the straps.  They are fun and I have 6 of them and like to see whats around - thanks for the info - will put it to good use  

• Like 1

Hiding them from people is the only reason to try to hide a camera. Even though we can't smell a camera, deer and bear can -- the plastic case, the strap, the Python lock and the person that put the camera in place all have an odor that lasts longer then we can imagine.

I've got a bunch of white-flash homebrewed cameras and some commercial cameras, both low-glow and black-flash, in spite of what many people think the white-flash cameras frighten animals much less than the red flash cameras. Although it doesn't appear to frighten them, it's even obvious that most of them can see the black-flash that's invisible to us.

My cam strategies have varied alot over the years.

I generally don't have problems getting repeat pics and vids of bucks that we want to target. I also set cams close to stands, far from stands, on the way to stands. I was very rigid in my approaches, but now my approach seems to be more specific to what I know about the property, the deer, and their dispositions.

We seem to do OK getting the bucks we want on the ground. This year held fewer targets but even they showed up on cams or in person (seen from stand). 

What I have noticed is that the longer a cam is in a spot, the less it becomes a factor for mature buck avoidance - as long as you aren't checking it all the time. The actual disturbance of the cam seems to be key. I have cell cams set next to stands and they don't pay it mind after a while. If I change batteries or cards, they seem to notice as I get more looks at the cam itself. If I hunt the stand but don't disturb the cam, I don't notice any behavior change toward the cam with scent in the immediate area. I'm talking cams within arm reach of the ladder, too.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, Woody Meristem said:

Although it doesn't appear to frighten them, it's even obvious that most of them can see the black-flash that's invisible to us.

What they are usually paying attention to with black flash cams, is noise. Some cams have lens filters that drop into place and make an audible sound. With some cams, the black flash lens cover is large and not broken up, and acts as a mirror. I make sure to buy cams with no filter noise, and then I mount them high so deer arent looking into anything that acts as a mirror.