I owe a lot to this forum

ApexerER

So I was going through the attachments that I have uploaded over the years on this forum and it made me realize how far I have come in the 5 or so years that I have been a part of this community. I decided I wanted to share all I have accomplished since I have been a member of this community and have learned more and more from the great people on here.  My first year deer hunting was 1989. It took me until 2012 to kill my first buck. A small fork horn and I was proud as hell to have harvested him. In 2013 the pic in the top left is the first pic I uploaded to this forum. I posted that 12/2 and the name of that post was "Not the biggest in the woods but I am happy to have him". Reading through that post showed me how far I have come in the last 5 or so seasons. In that  topic I was saying how I just don't see bucks that other people see and while I knew there were bigger I never saw them. You guys were speculating as to why that could be, especially with other guys on my lease killing nice deer every year. 2015 was my coming out party. I killed my first deer with a bow, the big girl in the second pic and my first buck with the bow, the 5 pt with the bow. I remember seeing that 5 pt walking slowly toward me and I was shaking like a leaf and believe it or not I was in awe of his antlers. In that post we had a heck of a track job on him, I shot a little too low but I tracked him down with the help of my more experienced hunting buddies and the feeling of holding those antlers was awesome. I also shot my first coyote with the bow that season. Made a heck of a shot on him at about 40 yds. Not a shot I would have taken on a deer but I was super proud of myself for the shot. That opening day of rifle I got my first 8 pointer and today he is on my wall. He came in about 4 o'clock chasing a doe. I didn't know how many points he was looking at him through the scope but I knew he was the widest deer I had ever seen. I had my rifle rested on my shooting rail and was waiting for a shot. I had my crosshairs on his neck as he was behind a tree and almost surprised my self as the rifle reported and I made a perfect shot and dropped him in his tracks. The doe hung around under my treestand even after the shot was taken. When the doe finally cleared out I could finally climb down and go see the deer. When I saw it was a 8 pointer I knew he was going on my wall. I was full of emotion and lots of hugs and pats on the back from the guys as they came in to help me gut and get the deer out. They all knew how long I had been waiting to kill a nice deer. The next year 2016, I killed what I assume will be the deer of my lifetime. The giant 9 pointer. The feeling when that boy dropped was overwhelming and when I was able to walk up to him I was in awe. The guys could hear me woot woot!! in the woods. I believe that is the biggest deer that has been killed on our lease and if I ever drop one bigger than that it will be amazing. Fast forward to this year and I harvested my first deer with the crossbow which is the big doe behind the 4 wheeler and the small 8 that I harvested last Sunday. While I was super thankful for the 8 last Sunday and I would shoot him again if given the chance, it is also the first time I found myself thinking, wow that would have been a great deer next year. Again showing my evolution as a hunter in a short time span. I want to thank everyone on this forum that's insite, posts, time spent, advice, persistence, determination etc have all helped me more in the last 5 years then anything I learned in 20 plus years prior. Its been awesome sharing my hunting experiences with you and learning from all of yours. 

post-4816-0-10875300-1386014082_thumb.jpgpost-4816-0-74562800-1445267976_thumb.jpgpost-4816-0-04842100-1447639189_thumb.jpgpost-4816-0-12819800-1448160584_thumb.jpgpost-4816-0-32301300-1448160615_thumb.jpg20161002_105307.thumb.jpg.b277ae58583eeb2e8d3cd129f415d254.jpg20161119_085816.thumb.jpg.b0bac29d7ef8f64530641379f8603dfa.jpg20161119_092523.thumb.jpg.da7e0e5cc0fe69a0ed9b55a41fb87400.jpg20181115_173556.thumb.jpg.707ba2b1aa61a351328941ea73ceaecc.jpg20181125_091818.thumb.jpg.5626d38d1368172efd73d2f40e822fc0.jpg20181125_085544.thumb.jpg.ab2ae2f62ab63ab84bda497472341e7e.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

That's how it's all supposed to work. Hunters with a few more years under their belt helping the up and comers. You have progressed well and will continue to grow by the sounds. Sounds like you found out the feeling of shooting a real buck being mature and have the headgear also. There will come a time where the only feeling you want is the one that you got taking that 9. It's a feeling like no other when you set your sights on a certain kind of deer and succeed. You will still always have the enjoyment of the woods and the hunt and even the pride of taking meat does for the freezer but that feeling you had when you took that 9 will not come around every year unless you are in a special place in this state and have the luck to go along with your hard work in your side. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Very cool Apexer.  I think most of us could echo similar comments of learning from one another.  I have also made some really good friends on this forum.  I certainly am grateful for it and the people here.

I have never met a single person on this forum. I have PM'd with a few. That doesn't stop me from feeling like you are all my hunting buddies. I learn from and pull for all of you....

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 4

A lot of absolutely great people on this forum, that want nothing more than for you to shoot big deer and have fun in the woods. I have only met a few people from the forum on here, but like you said they all feel like hunting buddies. Aside from my parents and a few close poeple to me, this is the first place i go to share the deer ive shot. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

having some form of mentoring is a beautiful thing even if not in person. definitely some knowledge lurking these forums. you're never too experienced to learn something new. i hope you keep the momentum rolling, because that's pretty awesome.

DB says it well.   I 've also learned a lot about this sport from this forum... met a few folks from one here also and can't say it any better than this:  Some of the finest people I have ever interacted with are on this site.  I hope everyone here has a fantastic season this year!

I have gained so much more, than I have ever given on this forum.

Some great friends, and folks to share ideas with here.

Have yet to meet someone from here I didn't like!

ApexerER,  you have done so well in the time you have hunted!  From your own patience, persistence, and drive. See, you had all the tools necessary, to become a fine hunter all along! 

I'm with you! This place has made me a better hunter too!  

• Like 4

Very cool, I think in one way or another we all owe a lot to this forum, it’s really a great group of people. We all learn from each other. Even if it’s what not to do. Also I’m just thankful for the entertainment this site provides for those long sits in the stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philoshop said:

We need more in-person GTG's. I know that we're all over the state, but the comments and photos are usually great. Post up a date, place, and time and people will show up. It's pretty simple. Have fun.

Not to thread hijack, but I agree. I have an suggestion/idea: How about if each WMU had a designated "ambassador (?)" in charge of organizing one or two GTG's per year, either for just that WMU, if big enough, or for a cluster of adjacent WMUs, for smaller or less populated ones. (Of course, anyone can attend regardless of where they live.) It's so hard to have leadership, and overcome inertia, for these sort of things.

[Mods, if this post merits being moved to a new thread, by all means please do so.]

Lot of folks on here more than willing to help, and enjoy doing it. Yes there will always be the bs of fixed / mechanical or Mathews Vs elite, but for the most part the majority here are true sportsman and helping out others is in the definition, if you ask me. Great post btw, thanks for sharing

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The forum is awesome.  Where would I be without the butt-out (thanks Chef), or the PA chest girth chart (thanks G-man). The most important advice I can give you all is to learn who controls the fate of all living things and ACT accordingly.   Once you get that figured out, hunting (and everything else) gets much easier.     

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

The forum is awesome.  Where would I be without the butt-out (thanks Chef), or the PA chest girth chart (thanks G-man). 

I tell you Wolc, I think the forum would have folded already if it wasn't for the entertainment you bring us with that PA girth chart!  :biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2