How many acres do you hunt if it is private land .

Hunter007

5 minutes ago, zag said:

As many as u can?

Was just wondering what most guys who are hunting private land have available to them 

The one private land I hunt is 200 acres  split by a road owner only lets me hunt one side of the road 100 acres of it . He keeps the other side for himself to hunt . 

The Mermaid and I have 107 acres...Son in law has 75 acres adjoining it...

My ex-wife has 175 acres that I have permission to hunt on...Another friend has 100 acres that he let me hunt on...

Since I have lived in this area all my life and have lots of friends, I probably have another 200-300 acres that I can hunt...

But how much do you NEED  ??  I mostly hunt our 107 acres  during rifle season and my friend's 100 acres during MZ, since he has some prime acreage  and it it very difficult to draw a DMP there...

Own 116 don’t hunt it, all crops fields rent that out to farmer ( distant cousin).

Their Farm is 3,000 acres , my spot there is about 90 , but crop fields run 3/4 of a mile to the south and 1/2 to the north .from it . 

Over the years I guess I’ve hunted a couple miles of it.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Own 116 don’t hunt it, all crops fields rent that out to farmer ( distant cousin).

Their Farm is 3,000 acres , my spot there is about 90 , but crop fields run 3/4 of a mile to the south and 1/2 to the north .from it . 

Mind if I ask "how" you hunt it? Do you have treestands up in certain spots, use a climber, on the ground stationary, still hunt and or track? If I had that much land, I don't know how I'd do it. I'm a traditional treestand type of hunter, but that amount of acreage would be overwhelming for that approach.

Our most productive spot is a whopping 30acres - 10 of which is pasture.   I own 40 which ain’t too shabby either.   A couple more farms with small 7-15 acre woodlots and one that I think is around 30 acres of woods.  Pretty good quality, not much for quantity and for the most part we hunt 3 people each hunt.   But I ain’t complaining.  

• Like 1

We have 600+ acres, between two properties. I'm property poor!

It is a blessing and a curse,  trying to figure out where to be, and when. We do alot of the zig and zag game. And we certainly are not over run with deer here. Like some locals think we are.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Wow 3,000 acres is that one of the biggest farms in the state or are  there  much bigger ones like out west  I wonder?

Tried to look that up on the internet just now not much info for big land owners in new york state for some reason like you find for other states .

40 behind the house. 110 at the farm. 80 lease. 50 in franklnville with another 25 lease that adjoins it. A handful of farm pieces that total a couple hundred close to home. A 15 acre piece in Elma. 35 acre piece in Darien. A couple small "drive spots" in strykersville. And a few others. I basically just hunt 3 of them hard and the others are here and there. Can't ever have enough !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TreeGuy said:

40 behind the house. 110 at the farm. 80 lease. 50 in franklnville with another 25 lease that adjoins it. A handful of farm pieces that total a couple hundred close to home. A 15 acre piece in Elma. 35 acre piece in Darien. A couple small "drive spots" in strykersville. And a few others. I basically just hunt 3 of them hard and the others are here and there. Can't ever have enough !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How do you decide which spot to hunt? Do the spots have significantly different weather patterns/conditions from each other, for example? 

Wow 3,000 acres is that one of the biggest farms in the state or are  there  much bigger ones like out west  I wonder?
Tried to look that up on the internet just now not much info for big land owners in new york state for some reason like you find for other states .

I would think there are bigger. Isn’t ADK 6 Million acres? I hunted Moshanon State Forest in PA and that’s about 300,000 acres if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For years dad and I hunted an amazing 8 acres. He killed a nice buck almost every year. Then it for subdivided and he didn’t want to buy it.

He bought 30 acres in 2016. It borders 50 acres of landlocked public land that nobody hunts, so it’s like having 80. Only neighbor has 15-20 acres and they don’t shoot 1.5 bucks either like us so each year it seems to get better and better. It’s a 10min drive for him and 20min for me.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

For years dad and I hunted an amazing 8 acres. He killed a nice buck almost every year. Then it for subdivided and he didn’t want to buy it.

He bought 30 acres in 2016. It borders 50 acres of landlocked public land that nobody hunts, so it’s like having 80. Only neighbor has 15-20 acres and they don’t shoot 1.5 bucks either like us so each year it seems to get better and better. It’s a 10min drive for him and 20min for me.

What do you mean by  land locked public   I am assuming you mean  behind private land  no public access,  Right 

Edited by Storm914