How many acres do you hunt if it is private land .

Hunter007

i don't remember if i replied.  i own nothing huntable but my parent's farm is 335 acres that i hunt. aunt and uncle border that with 39 acres that i can hunt. also i have permission for one adjacent neighbor that's 74 acres. so about 450 contiguous. then there's a couple uncles that own something like 40 acres down the road. also down the road i've got a great aunt and cousins that have about 250 contiguous acres that i can hunt if i really wanted. my parent's farm is part of a QDM co-op that's thousands of contiguous acres which borders another one. you can't hunt throughout the co-op just because you're a part of it. still all together they add up to probably just under 20,000 acres. more co-ops close by just not connected.  different properties intermixed in there though with various minimum standards for antlers or age of bucks.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:58 AM, Otto said:

Is that how the Land Trust in Vermont works?  

In NY, from what I understand, is if you “sell” your property to the Land Trust, you can’t develop it.   You still own it, but it must stay in the current state that it is....ag land, timber land, etc. You can post it, it is still private land.  It’s used to prevent valuable agricultural lands from turning into subdivisions.  

Theres a whole lot of that here in Clarence

Buddy has 55 plus his neighbor’s property we can hunt (150 or so). I also have access to a postage stamp that is in the right place and seems to bring in some bruisers every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should let me try hunting that postage stamp piece!

I’m so jealous. Started out with my 25 plus three neighbors who didn’t hunt for a total of 80 acres to hunt plus about 200 of ag land that was open to all. Neighbors selling and farmers leasing and I’m down to about 40 acres that I can post and hunt. 

Still, never a lack of deer here in 8H. Great trail cam pics but too small of an area to hold them anymore. 

Gotta adapt and keep on keeping on. 

• Like 1

I also cant remember if i replied before. I own 32 acres,and hunt a friends 300 acres pretty hard with one buddy. It is just 1 1/2 miles from my house. I could get more probably,but wouldn't have the time to hunt it. 

Also spend some time at my buddies camp,1/2 hr from here,he owns 50 and there is several 100 acres of county land up there as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old man river said:

Once again -- A Dollar And A Dream for this poor hunter.

You ever look into leases old man river .  Especially if you don't mind traveling there prices are not to bad if you look around   far west and north  parts of the state .

Edited by Hawk914

32 acres in madison county.  Havent taken much off it but 5yrs of hunting it and got it finally figured out last season. Its an odd piece hardest part was because the wind swirls alot on it but figured that out the last 2 yrs and ended up never getting winded last year.  Just a matter of getting time to go there because its a 45min drive for me.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

I hunt a 10 acre parcel on that 10 its crazy how many deer i see its just one of those spots where the deer come threw the guy down the road has 100 plus and i see more deer than him also hunt a 60 acre spot its ok but its hard to leave that 10 acre spot the rest is public adk i dont even care if i see a deer up there something about the adks that's special   

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 10:53 PM, crappyice said:

Buddy has 55 plus his neighbor’s property we can hunt (150 or so). I also have access to a postage stamp that is in the right place and seems to bring in some bruisers every year.

Let me guess the postage stamp is in 3s , and the   55 is someplace else . 

Edited by Hawk914
  • Like 1

Even with a good chunk of land behind my house, I may be spending a bunch of time this fall on a new 5 acre piece I’m currently trying to buy. It’s landlocked, dirt cheap and only 1/2 mile from my house. Went and scouted it last night. Deer sign all over the place! Now I just have to wait and hear back from the county land bank....

• Like 2

94 acre lease in Chautauqua Co. 50 acres in Wyoming county that a friend owns and doesn't hunt, we are the only ones with access.

Chautauqua is a new property for us this year and it is looking promising. We pulled the card on only one of the 5 cameras yesterday, lots of fawns and does and 5 decent bucks. This is one of them, I'm getting excited!!!

MFDC0693.JPG

Edited by FatBoyD
  • Like 5

• 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You wont believe it, turkeys raining down on your head every morning and running toward every call!

I keep telling you one of us is gonna get hurt or worse when those birds come pouring down. Now I know why people hunt in ground blinds ,its to keep the turkey from crashing into them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I keep telling you one of us is gonna get hurt or worse when those birds come pouring down. Now I know why people hunt in ground blinds ,its to keep the turkey from crashing into them.

That reminds me, its your turn to rake all the turkey crap from the roost area, the fertilizer guy comes for it on Monday. That money covers the taxes, dont forget

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That reminds me, its your turn to rake all the turkey crap from the roost area, the fertilizer guy comes for it on Monday. That money covers the taxes, dont forget

Did you leave the rakes and dump trailer parked under the tree from  when you did it over the weekend? Stuff builds up fast.

• Haha 2