How many acres do you hunt if it is private land .

Hunter007

32 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

36 acres.kinda tough as alot of it isn't woods.mostly open field and have nothing setup to overlook field.next year things are gunna change with a tower blind and plots I hope.neighboring property's are wooded so helps alot!

20181130_201120.jpg

What app is that?  I use Google Earth pro, but that looks like it leverages Google maps?

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I think my neighbor is the largest farm in Livingston. Co with 7000 acres but it’s not all contiguous.  Still small potatoes by comparison to Midwest farms.  

I did a fast search all that comes up is this so 

Your neighbors property  probably number  in top 5  for sure in the state I think Torrey Farms is the biggest 8000 acres one continuous piece .

And then they  have another 2000 or so in a  different location it says on wiki 

Cant find anything else bigger looks like .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrey_Farms

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

Was just wondering what most guys who are hunting private land have available to them 

The one private land I hunt is 200 acres  split by a road owner only lets me hunt one side of the road 100 acres of it . He keeps the other side for himself to hunt . 

Sorry just being a smart ass. Main spots about 90, back yards 3 and another spots about 7.

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

Mind if I ask "how" you hunt it? Do you have treestands up in certain spots, use a climber, on the ground stationary, still hunt and or track? If I had that much land, I don't know how I'd do it. I'm a traditional treestand type of hunter, but that amount of acreage would be overwhelming for that approach.

Goosfier , farm is 3,000 I hunt about 90 of it now .

After 30 years still tying to figure it out myself no lie 

My spot the 90 acres , about 50 are woods, overgrown fields and a thicket . The issue is it’s like an island surrounded by crops, little funnels or pinch points, they can step out into crops from anywhere, once they do they can move to another woods from there  . I don’t hunt the neighboring farms that run the 3/4 and 1/2 mile to the N and S of me . Both those farms have standing corn now, making it hard as well .

I have maybe 7 ladders that sometimes get moved  ( already planning on moving 3 for next year ) and one LW hang on that I move . I sold all my other hang ons and climber . I also have two shooting shacks, one right now is on a trailer and on a neighboring guys land because it’s to wet to move where we want it on my spot . I haven’t used it yet this year, prefer to stay on my spot .

8H, no shortage of deer, I could  kill deer at least 50% of  sits in bow and gun has been good so far as well , I pass young bucks, and have a bit of trouble patterning the big ones . They stay in the thickest nastiest crap,and seldom move in the open woods . I count on the rut to get them when they make mistakes chasing after the does .

One doe this year just to get some meat , passed a ton of young bucks, saw 4 shooters in bow no shots . The wife and I are fine with one, of course still trying for “ the big one .”

Ive taken 1-4 every year there since ‘88 , my first year hunting it and my first year bow hunting  and first bow kill .

years past we drove every little woods and creek beds over a span of the 1 mile or so. No driving anymore and each hunter now  has his own section of the farm , so I stay on my 90 or so . I should put a ladder or two on our land , it’s crops but some hedgerows .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

I have 42 acres behind the house. Another 30  in Pendelton with an adjoining 20 and 75 acres. I got the 30 because i gave the guy a deal on a job. sweetest thing that ever happened. Its about a 12 minute drive from home and fifteen from work. and yes my boss lets me leave early.. My Mom and Dads house , thats 9 acres in Orangeville. then  a place in Pike Thats about twenty acres. The club i belong to is 400 acres.

What do you mean by  land locked public   I am assuming you mean  behind private land  no public access,  Right 

Yea state land that is legal to hunt by anyone, but no parking or access to it except thru private land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 acres private, a friend, where i see deer 95% of the time... Neighbors don't hunt! 300 acre swamp across the street.

40 acres private, a cousin, where i see deer probably 25% of the time... Lots of pressure in 3 different directions unfortunately.. Been very difficult to pattern deer this year there.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I don’t know about NY farms, but I know I hunted 70,000 acres private in Wyoming once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea out west that is   common  to have ranches/farms  that are  more then 10,000 plus Acres they come up for sale all the time .

Edited by Storm914

I have 76 acres of private to hunt from a older fellow I used to bowl with for yrs. I call it my lease but in all actuality I don't lease it he doesn't charge me anything to hunt it but to show my appreciation I always give him a very nice Gift certificate for a nice place to eat for him and his wife not to mention some venison that I harvested off the land. A small price to pay I know for land to hunt I'm very lucky and he knows I'm highly appreciatetive. The only small thing I don't like about the property is he doesn't post it and doesn't seem willing to post it so we have neighbors wandering on the property from time to time. I don't push the posting issue since I'm hunting it virtually for free but if he ever brings up the idea of leasing it to me I would be all over it with the stipulation of being able to post it. Other than that I hunt alot of stateland mostly on the Tughill.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I have 76 acres of private to hunt from a older fellow I used to bowl with for yrs. I call it my lease but in all actuality I don't lease it he doesn't charge me anything to hunt it but to show my appreciation I always give him a very nice Gift certificate for a nice place to eat for him and his wife not to mention some venison that I harvested off the land. A small price to pay I know for land to hunt I'm very lucky and he knows I'm highly appreciatetive. The only small thing I don't like about the property is he doesn't post it and doesn't seem willing to post it so we have neighbors wandering on the property from time to time. I don't push the posting issue since I'm hunting it virtually for free but if he ever brings up the idea of leasing it to me I would be all over it with the stipulation of being able to post it. Other than that I hunt alot of stateland mostly on the Tughill.

No Adirondacks ? 

Just now, Tughill Tamer said:

Nope not yet I always say I'm going to and never have. I work 6 days a week and between the 76 acres of private and the 5500 acre chunk of the Tughill that I roam around on it keeps me busy. I hope to get up there someday.

O only asked  because tug hill pretty close to west side of Adirondacks. 

So I figured you lived close enough to hunt there with out a crazy long drive .

O only asked  because tug hill pretty close to west side of Adirondacks. 
So I figured you lived close enough to hunt there with out a crazy long drive .
Yeah I'm not to far away from the Adirondacks I've talked with some family and friends about going up for a mini vacation and doing some hunting. I love the Big woods feel that I get from hunting the Tughill and know it would only be intensified hunting the Adirondacks. One of these days I will get there.

• Like 1