Xbow full inclusion??

Sad part is you prob took that pic right off your wall.  Bout Right.

No I’m not into shooting does or fawns. My last doe was 2000 and I never shot a fawn. I found it at my grandma’s house. My late grandfather shot in the 1950’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/4/2018 at 3:37 PM, Steuben Jerry said:

If crossbows were to be fully included in the full archery season, I'll admit that I'd probably never pick up a vertical bow again.

I suspect the same of me. If I had property behind my house packed with deer and just taking my pick of the litter, this wouldn't be the case, but with the time I put in with driving and everything else, I'd be hard-pressed to willingly take a more difficult tool into the woods if I don't have to.

It is not. It has the same effective range, and hits with comparable KE as a vertical bow. The only difference is how quickly you can become proficient with it.

They do not hit much harder than a compound, you can easily do the math and see for yourself. Ill make it easy for you though, a crossbow shooting 350 fps with a 420-grain arrow generates 114 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. A compound shooting a 350-grain arrow at 350 fps generates 95 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. Thats not much of a difference, and its only because the crossbow arrow weighs more.

If you look at professional shooters, the vertical bow guys are more accurate than their crossbow counterparts. You can compare score sheets of the top shooters in each class.

First, competition shooting by a professional who trains 12 months/year isn't the same as the average joe hunting.

Second, your KE numbers are left wanting--you are are comparing a very average crossbow to an absurdly fast vertical bow, which basically nobody has. I have a 305 IBO bow with a 29" draw length I pull at 60 lbs. It shoots around 410 grain arrows and clocks at 255 FPS. It would need to be a 330 ibo bow pulling 70 lbs to get up to 300 FPS. My vertical KE is around half that of my entry level centerpoint Xbow, which shoots around 440 grain and I clocked at 355 FPS. I also practice tons more with my vertical and I'm still nowhere near as accurate as I am with the xbow.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:51 PM, Jeremy K said:

Vertical bow hunters are a rare breed ,they take their marksmanship very serious , it's a pride thing for them.  It's not for everyone .

Not sure which vertical bow hunters you've been seeing. At my range most of them are absolutely hideous shots. e.g. they'll go out hunting as long as their group is as tight as a paper plate at 20 yards.

51 minutes ago, Core said:

First, competition shooting by a professional who trains 12 months/year isn't the same as the average joe hunting.

Second, your KE numbers are left wanting--you are are comparing a very average crossbow to an absurdly fast vertical bow, which basically nobody has. I have a 305 IBO bow with a 29" draw length I pull at 60 lbs. It shoots around 410 grain arrows and clocks at 255 FPS. It would need to be a 330 ibo bow pulling 70 lbs to get up to 300 FPS. My vertical KE is around half that of my entry level centerpoint Xbow, which shoots around 440 grain and I clocked at 355 FPS. I also practice tons more with my vertical and I'm still nowhere near as accurate as I am with the xbow.

Nope, you stated that crossbows are more accurate than vertical bows. You are wrong on that, and as an example I used the top dogs to show that even at the highest level of competition, a compound is just as, if not more accurate than a crossbow. Sorry bub, you arent going to win that, facts are facts.

My Ke numbers are to show that the difference between the two implements is really minimal, and pretty much meaningless when it comes to hunting any game that walks this continent, let alone anything in NY. Crossbows and vertical bows do not kill with hydrostatic shock, so as long as you are putting enough Ke to kill a whitetail, which is around 40lbs Ke. Anything over about 60 is really just overkill anyway, so who gives a damn how much Ke a crossbow puts out. People get way too wrapped up in speed numbers with any archery equipment.

If you cant hit a bullseye with your vertical bow, you need more practice. Its the Indian, not the arrow.

• Like 1

I am betting those numbers are going to be low compared to this years reports. A lot of deer killed this year compared to last year... I know I'm doing my best to move them up.

Maybe but point being that most all are In negative cept Xbow. That number will rise again.

I see what your posting . Last year was hot didn't have any snow and rut was earlier. Year before that we had snow storms 1st afternoon and  high  winds.  Cross bow will go up to until anybody that wants to is in it then it will level off and go down like the rest as population stops or doesn't care to  hunt any more.  Same thing happened in PA.

Good hunters will kill deer. A crossbow wont make a poor hunter better. And as we know it's not a rifle  so it won be the magic cure for poor hunters . Might make it easier  for them to get lucky .

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, Four Season Whitetail's said:

. Kinda shows what weapon people were picking up more last year. I'm sure it will go up this year also.

i don't think anyone would need a chart to know it's going to be popular. I bet a similar trend was evident when inline mz became popular. The real question is how many of those were new to archery and how many would have been in the woods regardless. 

In addition to understanding the percentage of disabled and elderly, for me this is the only thing the DEC would really want to know. Are we just changing the law to make it easier? Are we just changing to increase harvest rates? Are we just changing to appease an industry wanting more revenue? Or are we truly getting new hunters into the woods. 

i don't think anyone would need a chart to know it's going to be popular. I bet a similar trend was evident when inline mz became popular. The real question is how many of those were new to archery and how many would have been in the woods regardless. 
In addition to understanding the percentage of disabled and elderly, for me this is the only thing the DEC would really want to know. Are we just changing the law to make it easier? Are we just changing to increase harvest rates? Are we just changing to appease an industry wanting more revenue? Or are we truly getting new hunters into the woods. 

Not getting new I'm sure. Adding another season for many. Which would make it a smart move by law makers to make Xbow its own season and tags which they could charge another fee to help coffers and cover some of the loss from older hunters getting out without new coming in.

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Not getting new I'm sure. Adding another season for many. Which would make it a smart move by law makers to make Xbow its own season and tags which they could charge another fee to help coffers and cover some of the loss from older hunters getting out without new coming in.

i just can't get over the fact that you want lawmakers to regulate the season MORE and charge hunters MORE. You live in some alternate reality dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1