Xbow full inclusion??

Wish this issue was up to the DEC's discretion!!! It's become an annual legislative "hot potato" item. Seems like the logical thing to do would be propose a bill allowing the DEC to decide if/when/how Xbows would be allowed. Be a great "pass the buck" opportunity for the legislators, which I'm convinced they'd jump at the chance to not do something!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

So now that DEC talks that all license sales are down this year cept Senior tags will they finally throw the Xbow in or make it another weapon with its own tags needed? They will be feeling the lack of cash pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down by how much ?

22 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Wish this issue was up to the DEC's discretion!!! It's become an annual legislative "hot potato" item. Seems like the logical thing to do would be propose a bill allowing the DEC to decide if/when/how Xbows would be allowed. Be a great "pass the buck" opportunity for the legislators, which I'm convinced they'd jump at the chance to not do something!

It makes perfect sense for NYSDEC to handle the crossbow decision. But sadly, not too often do NYS lawmakers make sensible decisions. Let the DEC handle it. They know much more about it than big city politicians. 

Crossbow full inclusion, would have many older, and even some younger hunters, buying the tag to hunt that wouldn't otherwise.

And anyone using a crossbow, should have to take the NYS Bowhunters Course.

• Like 4

So,I joined New York  Crossbow Coalition , after  I could no longer draw my compound , I volunteered at an event to help,them out .

Signed up some members met many great guys and gals. We have the Governor, and I think the Senate, need the assembly, or perhaps vise versa ,can’t remeber .

What struck me most was if every person who wanted full inclusion, would join, we’d have it next season . It’s a numbers game ,and as usual, hunters sit on the sidelines .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DIYhunter said:

I’m okay without it. Give the vertical guys a chance.

Sorry, but I just don't see how a hunter with a crossbow, or vertical bow, takes "a chance" away from another hunter.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, DIYhunter said:

I’m okay without it. Give the vertical guys a chance.

The recent Ny outdoor news had a anti xbow option piece ,that seemed more pro in parts ....

Michigan , twice as many xbow lic than trad and compound ,and the harvest rate was almost the same xbow 44.6 %, trad and compound 42 % .

kinda blows away all the arguments of xbows being such a superior weapon .

Also interesting that 2xs as many choose the xbow , so the hunters have spoken in that State , they deserve to be heard there and else where .

Hunting is a dieing sport , who,cares what anybody uses .

when I started it was three guys to one doe permit ! Today I can get four , plus one bow doe tag and two more dmaps !

The hunter to,deer ratio today is out of control .

• Like 1

It's been 3 years since a shoulder injury sidelined my archery  season. 3 LONG YEARS !  Loved shooting bow with my kids and friends. Looked forward  to coming home from work relaxing in the backyard slinging arrows. Loved getting into the woods early . It was my trophy season  . Hunted bucks only. Got to target specific bucks before  the rut changed patterns. I never wanted a crossbow. Never opposed them either. Best friends father was a paraplegic do to a spinal injury at an early age. He could have benafited from a crossbow.  Could have hunted in warmer weather . Just couldn't understand the selfishness  of other people. Only difference I can see is you don't have to hold the draw. I find shooting a crossbow to be challenging  to hold on target  clarence of limbs in the horizontal is new. Carrying the darn thing through the woods is awkward. Selfish people  pushing their own agenda and politicians using inclusion as a bullet in their political arsenal is going to drag this out for ever. Only way to change.this is to get a law passed that puts decisions  for hunting issues in the hands of the dec  with a sportsman oversight  committee .

• Like 5

9 hours ago, grampy said:

Sorry, but I just don't see how a hunter with a crossbow, or vertical bow, takes "a chance" away from another hunter.

The anti-Xbow crowd won't admit it, but this is what the whole heated debate is about! Sad!

Also agree 200%, every Xbow license should require the bow hunter's safety course.

Like NOMAD mentioned, it's a #s game for lobbying! The antis (NYBH) have 2X as many members as the pro-Xbow supporters (NYCC). BUT .. when polls are taken support for full Xbow inclusion is unanimous across the entire spectrum of NYS hunters! Making it appear as the squeaky wheel gets the most attention! Not to  mention when this issue is put into the hands of the legislators, it gets little attention like all the proposed bills the past several years.

Apologize, didn't really intend on adding fuel to the Xbow debate or revive another heated thread!!! Simply trying to add some facts and insight!

• Like 3

The anti-Xbow crowd won't admit it, but this is what the whole heated debate is about! Sad!

Also agree 200%, every Xbow license should require the bow hunter's safety course.

Like NOMAD mentioned, it's a #s game for lobbying! The antis (NYBH) have 2X as many members as the pro-Xbow supporters (NYCC). BUT .. when polls are taken support for full Xbow inclusion is unanimous across the entire spectrum of NYS hunters! Making it appear as the squeaky wheel gets the most attention! Not to  mention when this issue is put into the hands of the legislators, it gets little attention like all the proposed bills the past several years.

Apologize, didn't really intend on adding fuel to the Xbow debate or revive another heated thread!!! Simply trying to add some facts and insight!

Maybe for some, not for all. Beaten this horse to death so many times I should save it and copy it.

There’s something about watching the live from the woods thread this year and then all the sudden the bows disappear and these contraptions with scopes and bipods show up, sometimes being shot out of $3k raised and heated blinds.

I won’t sit hear and pretend I hunt with a traditional bow and loin cloth. I also accept that every hunter deserves to decide what their level of challenge should be. Crossbows won’t affect my hunting. If the law changes it won’t change a thing for me. I guess I just like that there’s a season that is still “primitive”. And I’ve heard all the arguments regarding carbon fiber modern compounds, but they still require the hunter to get a deer in closer than a crossbow does and still requires the hunter to draw undetected and still requires the hunter to practice and train to perfect their form.

I’m 35, I’m not stuck on “the old days”, but I do worry that new hunters will stop picking up the bow altogether. And that saddens me.

My stance on disabled and elderly is well documented.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

It belongs in gun season .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Only difference I can see is you don't have to hold the draw. I find shooting a crossbow to be challenging  to hold on target  clarence of limbs in the horizontal is new. Carrying the darn thing through the woods is awkward.

The disabled or elderly card is one thing that is fairly valid when the arguments are made for full inclusion but it is statements like the above that piss traditional archers off, it insults the intelligence of anyone who has had any meaningful experience using both implements.  To try and imply that there really is no advantage in the overall ease it takes to become proficient in the use of a crossbow over a traditional bow is ridiculous.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

So first let me say , I hope it does happen some day . I have injuries that as I get older may stop me from using a compound. 

But let’s be real about the crossbow being WAY easier to kill a deer with, I have several friends that have went to crossbows and their success rate during archery has gone up.The biggest advantage is one does not have to draw the bow, second is anyone can pick up a Xbox and be efficient with it out to 40 yards + right from the get go.

i just had coworker buy one and he was shooting 60 yards with it right out of the box stacking bolts, he went out in the PA archery season and set up a ground blind and used a shooting stick for a rest and killed his first archery deer at 35 yards after only shooting it 8 times. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, erussell said:

I say get rid of all the  individual  seasons and just have one season. Use what you want to. The only reason they have all the individual  seasons is to make more money. Just charge one price say 50$ and use what you want. 

The pray and spray guys would have the deer nocturnal before the rut even starts. 

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, rob-c said:

So first let me say , I hope it does happen some day . I have injuries that as I get older may stop me from using a compound. 

But let’s be real about the crossbow being WAY easier to kill a deer with, I have several friends that have went to crossbows and their success rate during archery has gone up.The biggest advantage is one does not have to draw the bow, second is anyone can pick up a Xbox and be efficient with it out to 40 yards + right from the get go.

i just had coworker buy one and he was shooting 60 yards with it right out of the box stacking bolts, he went out in the PA archery season and set up a ground blind and used a shooting stick for a rest and killed his first archery deer at 35 yards after only shooting it 8 times. 

I agree with all of this.  I have been bowhunting since I was 16, 48 seasons.  I started with a recurve, I had good mentors but it took years to be successful.  My shoulders are sore and my overall muscle strength is not what it used to be.  I have dropped my poundage from 70 to around 58.  I'm ok with all that, but there will come a time.

I bought a xbow 3 years ago and shot a nice 8 pointer first year.  I didn't use it last year for bucks as I was tagged out.  This year I shot another nice buck with the xbow in a tough  snow storm.  Neither of the xbow bucks would have been possible with my compound.  It is simply much easier.  By the way, one of the things I like the most about the xbow is I can wear as many warm clothes as I want and not have to worry about being able to draw the string.

At this point, I like the seasons the way they are.

jperch

• Like 3

1 hour ago, airedale said:

The disabled or elderly card is one thing that is fairly valid when the arguments are made for full inclusion but it is statements like the above that piss traditional archers off, it insults the intelligence of anyone who has had any meaningful experience using both implements.  To try and imply that there really is no advantage in the overall ease it takes to become proficient in the use of a crossbow over a traditional bow is ridiculous.

Al

Honestly hunted with a bow  for better than 35 years  I do have an idea of what it takes to be proficient and kill deer ,pig ,turkey with a  recurve bow ,compound as well as rifle,  flintlock muzzloader,and handgun . Sorry to piss you off with my opnion. Didn't think my comment to be offending .in the future feel free to ignore all of my coments. Thank you.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 2

Point being is that DEC is losing money on tag sales. The handicap and elderly already have their advantages set up for their use. Add in the fact that less tags sold because of less hunters adds up to less deer taken. We will probably see a drop in harvest numbers this year along with tag sales. They will need to do something to make more money and also get the deer killed by the less hunters we have left. That will call for Xbow tags sold separate and make it easier for hunters to kill deer. That's two things they need to have....Cash and Kill's!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

The pro and anti-x-bow crowds reminds me of the republican party...a chance to unite and do something good while totally in power, but factions within fighting against one another with no resolution to an issue, until it's too late and another party takes control and then we're screwed and opportunity wasted....maybe not a perfect comparison, but it just seems like more spinning of wheels instead of getting something meaningful accomplished...Hey, we're all of the same hunting fraternity...we should unite and be strong.

14 minutes ago, Merlot said:

The pro and anti-x-bow crowds reminds me of the republican party...a chance to unite and do something good while totally in power, but factions within fighting against one another with no resolution to an issue, until it's too late and another party takes control and then we're screwed and opportunity wasted....maybe not a perfect comparison, but it just seems like more spinning of wheels instead of getting something meaningful accomplished...Hey, we're all of the same hunting fraternity...we should unite and be strong.

How is getting Xbow in archery season full time something good or meaningful?