So how many different ways are there to field dress a deer?

goosifer

I have tried to use a Butt-Out on several deer and each time it has ripped a hole in the poop chute. I just stick it in turn and pull it back out. Is there some trick to making them work?

No trick really don’t go too deep turn like 1 and half or two times and pull slowly... also does not work well on very young or small deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, OldNewbie said:

I have tried to use a Butt-Out on several deer and each time it has ripped a hole in the poop chute. I just stick it in turn and pull it back out. Is there some trick to making them work?

It has worked perfectly for me about a dozen times, with only two failures (same type as you describe).  One of those failures was on a young deer. I did not sufficiently clean off the residue from that, prior to using it on the next old doe later that afternoon, and the fouled teeth likely caused the second failure.   There are You-tube videos that show the process pretty well, but they don't take the age of the deer into account..  A lot is by "feel".  When the "clean" teeth bite into the wall, it gets harder to turn.  On average, that is 1-1/2 turns.  On a younger deer, it will engage faster.   It worked perfectly on a button buck for me this year (about 1 turn).  My 3-1/2 year old gun buck took two turns. 

Chef mentions "not going too deep", but I think the butt-out II has a flange to prevent that. 

Edited by wolc123

After three or four deer with that result I stood up in the woods and threw that thing into the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

After three or four deer with that result I stood up in the woods and threw that thing into the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like you and I are both litterers.  I leave a fair amount of surveyors tape lying around in the woods.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:27 PM, Belo said:

alwasys core out the booty first. Then go from tip of his junk up to breast plate. move some stuff around and do some light cutting. reach up to the esophagus and cut it. rip and cut it all out. done.

never sawed anything in the field.

So the junk stays attached to the carcass? I was taught to cut it off and throw it into the woods for good luck.

I start by cutting around anus, poke hole at.hip and put finger along blade and cut up to sternum if not mounting blade.cuts thru cartaliage where ribs attach 

Poke whole through diaphragm tear out opening to chest reach up cut esophagus pull everything out and anus slides up through body cavity

.1 knife no extra stuff to carry done in less than 2 min and no hair as none is cut as blade slices from inside out. 

I will never understand the butt up tool.. I think it's some kind of fetish toy gone wrong.

I evolved to no more field dressing. I butcher the deer right where it drops. Cut off the front legs with the shoulders, cut off the hindquarters, then skin the back and fillet out the straps. Tie the hindquarters together at the tendons, and throw the straps into a plastic bag and into the backpack. Done

12 hours ago, goosifer said:

So the junk stays attached to the carcass? I was taught to cut it off and throw it into the woods for good luck.

yeah i leave it. however with a doe or a buck i'm not sure any officer would need the junk. perhaps it's actually written somewhere in the regs? not sure. I think it would only really be important if you quartered int he field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

yeah i leave it. however with a doe or a buck i'm not sure any officer would need the junk. perhaps it's actually written somewhere in the regs? not sure. I think it would only really be important if you quartered int he field. 

Wow, for a second I thought it was a reg I wasn't following properly. Sounds like it only applies if the head is not attached to the carcass. Maybe other states always require it to be intact?

• A deer carcass minus the head may be transported as above, but evidence of the sex of the deer must be intact. The deer carcass tag must be affixed to the carcass, and a tag supplied by the taker must also be attached showing the name and address of the taxidermist where the head was sent.

source: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

Just chop that deer right in two like last Buffalo hunt.
After cutting in a mile long recovery road, axe was a bit dull.......LOL
Chef won't like this but it was around 95* and carcass hung all night when it got down to 80*. Best steaks I've had and I raised angus for about 12 years even graded prime a few times.

Looks like union labor. 1 guy working while all the rest stand around collecting paychecks for doing nothing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk