New 6.5 Grendel build

Writing this up as i think it may intrest some on the sight. Im thinking i want to try some long distance shooting competitions local to ny. There is a program for ny prs shoots. In the rules they do not allow ar 15 rifles to compete do to the safact and issues that would arise from out of state shooters coming here with thier legal guns. Once they crossed into ny they are no longer legal. I love the ar platform, i carried it in Iraq and am incredibly familiar with it. I also love guns with wood stocks so dont hate on me lol. I decided im going to build a straight pull rifle. Looks like a AR but no gas system. The start of my build is a Gibbz arms left side charge upper. I added thier "competition" longer side lever. This upper uses a custom cam pin in the bcg that the side charge lever rides on to run the bcg. Next the most important part, the barrel. I gave myself a $500 limit here. If i could squeeze more out i would have went with a Bartlein barrel. But i settled on a 22" JP super match barrel with matched bolt. Im currently waiting on my rail, alot of your rails that fit a mil spec upper will not fit the gibbz, the anti rotationtabs hit the upper.. So i have a seekins rail coming. To have no gas run on this gun i put a YHM clamp on gas block on backward. This covers the gas port. If this allows gas to squeeze out still ill figure something out. Maybe tap the gas block were the gas tube goes and screw in a screw. Ill add pics as i go, the goal of this build is to hit at 1000+ yards on moa targets. 

20181116_141613.jpg

20181202_104320.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Just curious what range has 1000 yds to shoot? What power scope do you use at 1000 yds? I would think my cross hairs on my 3-9 Nikon would cover the target at 1000 yds....Obviously I know nothing about long range shooting....

I shoot to 400 yards in my backyard. Theres a range 20 minutes away that goes to 700, and i have a buddy that has access to a field that he has shot to 1000 yards. The scope will be around 18 or 20 power range scope.

• Like 1

Ran into a small hiccup today. Put a box of hornady black through it. Shot ok, just under 2" at 200. But i came in to clean it and i noticed my handguard is resting on the gas block. No more free floated barrel at that point. I ground down some of the gas block but it still touches. Just ordered and smaller gas block to put on that will hopefully clear the handguard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Took the rifle to 300 yards today. Was happy with the group. Only 40 rounds down it so far. Saving my pennies up for a trigger now.

2054142774_Screenshot_20181219-140148_RangeBuddy.thumb.jpg.1bb7ac307b0021ca880e21794202c53c.jpg

Elftman match it's damn sweet or maybe it's the 3-gun I have. Idk let me check. I have two of em and love em!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just checked. I got 2 elftman tactical 3 gun triggers. They are damn crisp and can be adjusted to nice and light

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Elftman match it's damn sweet or maybe it's the 3-gun I have. Idk let me check. I have two of em and love em!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just checked. I got 2 elftman tactical 3 gun triggers. They are damn crisp and can be adjusted to nice and light

Elftmann is on my short list. ive always shot 2 stage triggers, but looking to give a light single stage a try.

• Like 1

Also the scope that is currently on yhe rifle is a leupold vx-r 4-12×40 with their cds elevation knob. You send in for a custom knob for the round you are shooting. They need bullet type, weight, speed, B.C., elevation which has a spread of like 1000 ft or something, average temperature which has like a 30* spread i think, and estimated velocity. Also zero distance. For a hunting scope ive found it to be very good. Judging by that target i under estimated the speed a little. But just turned the dial to 3, and shot. With the scope you get 1 free dial. I believe if you want extras they are $60.

20181220_094848.jpg

20181220_094905.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Also the scope that is currently on yhe rifle is a leupold vx-r 4-12×40 with their cds elevation knob. You send in for a custom knob for the round you are shooting. They need bullet type, weight, speed, B.C., elevation which has a spread of like 1000 ft or something, average temperature which has like a 30* spread i think, and estimated velocity. Also zero distance. For a hunting scope ive found it to be very good. Judging by that target i under estimated the speed a little. But just turned the dial to 3, and shot. With the scope you get 1 free dial. I believe if you want extras they are $60.

20181220_094848.jpg

20181220_094905.jpg

2,500 ft seems high. didn't know you guys were that high up out that way. even next to me at the foothills of the adirondacks is grafton mtn  at 1800 ft in different spots and  Berlin Mtn which is just over 2,800 ft.

20 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

2,500 ft seems high. didn't know you guys were that high up out that way. even next to me at the foothills of the adirondacks is grafton mtn  at 1800 ft in different spots and  Berlin Mtn which is just over 2,800 ft.

Not that high here, im at 900ft roughly. They give u a range of +or- 2000ft actually i believe. So im good from 500ft to 4500ft.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Not that high here, im at 900ft roughly. They give u a range of +or- 2000ft actually i believe. So im good from 500ft to 4500ft.

the range is good thing but i'd think that would be a difference of over a foot at 1,000 yds. i use a pay to play version of bulletflight app on my phone. didn't have a 6.5 grendel but picked the closest thing i had in the list setup.    ....same for temp range that big. maybe user error on my part idk. i don't shoot that far.

Edited by dbHunterNY

10 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

the range is good thing but i'd think that would be a difference of over a foot at 1,000 yds. i use a pay to play version of bulletflight app on my phone. didn't have a 6.5 grendel but picked the closest thing i had in the list setup.    ....same for temp range that big. maybe user error on my part idk. i don't shoot that far.

Using Strelok app, theres was no change in drop going from 1000ft to 4000ft. There was a 4" differance going from 60* to 20*. This is at 1000 yards.