New 6.5 Grendel build

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Let me know.  Maybe I can meet you out there.  I definitely have no way of doping out that far before then without making that trip. 

If you get your muzzle velocity, and shoot out to say 300 yards you should be able to use a ballistics calculator to get you real close out to 700 yards. Ive started to use the Strelok app. I just need to find a chronograph. The place in batavia rents them at thier range.

Edited by Gencountyzeek

1 minute ago, Gencountyzeek said:

If you get your muzzle velocity, and shoot out to say 300 yards you should be able to use a ballistics calculator to get you real close out to 700 yards. Ive started to use the Strelok app. I just need to find a chronograph. The place in batavia rents them at thier range.

I have the chrono.  The yards are tough but I do have some options

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have the chrono.  The yards are tough but I do have some options

I can get you out that far. Let me know when you want to go shoot. My 6.5 Grendel should be in any time now, so Ill be out shooting it once the weather warms up and I get some glass for it.

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I can get you out that far. Let me know when you want to go shoot. My 6.5 Grendel should be in any time now, so Ill be out shooting it once the weather warms up and I get some glass for it.

You are on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Zeek, did you break the barrel in before those 80 rounds?

By break in do u mean shoot about 20 rounds, clean it and so on for the last 80 rounds...then yes, if mean some other method than no...lol.

Edited by Gencountyzeek

Gotcha. I usually run 100 to 150 rounds through them before i bother sighting in. Ill do it like this:

clean bore, run 25 rounds, clean bore, run 25 rounds, clean bore, run 50 rounds, clean bore, run 50 rounds, clean whole rifle. If its an AR Ill do 50 more before I clean the whole rifle.

Once thats done, the sighting begins. It may be excessive, but its worked for me.

21 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Gotcha. I usually run 100 to 150 rounds through them before i bother sighting in. Ill do it like this:

clean bore, run 25 rounds, clean bore, run 25 rounds, clean bore, run 50 rounds, clean bore, run 50 rounds, clean whole rifle. If its an AR Ill do 50 more before I clean the whole rifle.

Once thats done, the sighting begins. It may be excessive, but its worked for me.

Ive been told i clean my guns too much. I clean after everytime i shoot. Maybe just run a wet patch followed by some dry patches. But then i read about people not cleaning until accuracy is affected. As far as break in goes u can read a million differant recommendations. Id love to shoot it more but a dollar a shot keeps me at about 20 rounds a session.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Ive been told i clean my guns too much. I clean after everytime i shoot. Maybe just run a wet patch followed by some dry patches. But then i read about people not cleaning until accuracy is affected. As far as break in goes u can read a million differant recommendations. Id love to shoot it more but a dollar a shot keeps me at about 20 rounds a session.

Treeguy mentioned that the better the barrel, the less need for break in.  I agree.  My Sako was no break in and clover leafs at 100 if I am shooting well.  My proof barrel shot a .4 moa group at 100 on my second 5 shot group with a thermal.   I am with you Zeek.  I just shoot and occasionally clean.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...