ODYSSEUS

Locating And Using Rocks To Start A Fire.

Useful knowledge here in case you don't have a Lighter with you or Flint and Steel kit.  Eye protection is a must.   Quartz is everywhere in my area-- Orange County. Trying to learn more stuff with every hike.

• Like 1

The issue with theses methods ,is the amount of practice they require to master, and then it’s under ideal conditions . Try it after you fell in a stream or are lost at night ,or in the rain .

Most guys who  own ferro rods cant even use them .

i carry matches I forget the name but each one burns one minute  and you can bury them in the ground and place them under water while lit, pull them out and they will relight on their own . Along with a bic lighter in a ziplock ,and fire starter , often ranger bands .

I used to,go on week long canoe trips way up,past the roads in Canada, it would sometimes rain for days, fires were a challenge , and a five minute rail road flare were life savers .

If I somehow lost all my gear, and since some is on me and some in pack ,that seems unlikely , I guess I’ll go without a fire .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

The issue with theses methods ,is the amount of practice they require to master, and then it’s under ideal conditions . Try it after you fell in a stream or are lost at night ,or in the rain .

i carry matches I forget the name but each one burns one minute  and you can bury them in the ground and place them under water while lit, pull them out and they will relight on their own . Along with a bic lighter in a ziplock ,and fire starter , often ranger bands .

I used to,go on week long canoe trips way up,past the roads in Canada, it would sometimes rain for days, fires were a challenge , and a five minute rail road flare were life savers .

If I somehow lost all my gear, and since some is on me and some in pack ,that seems unlikely , I guess I’ll go without a fire .

Practice makes perfect! Nothing that will help you in a true survival situation is easy. You either prepare and learn or you don't. You make mention of how many people can't use a ferro rod, well here's something that is even worse. Most people can't use a compass with a map. Especially in these days of using a damn cell phone and apps to guide you through the woods.

Also, here's a tip, in cold temps, if you are trying to use a Bic ( or the like ), make sure it's kept in a pocket close to your body, because a cold lighter may take time to warm up enough to work, if it works.

Weather proof matches are great, but make sure you get GOOD ONES!

Here's another note, if you are worried about being lost while hunting in area with with trails all over the place, get a trail map!

If you are venturing into the real woods or big woods, tune up on what it means to be a woodsman by getting out there and doing! Take what you read or watch, and go do it.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:12 PM, Stay at home Nomad said:

take a cotton ball and some petroleum jelly or vaseline. pull it apart a little and kneed in the vaseline real good make a bunch then put them in two separate bags/containers. one in pack and another on you with anything to light it. you could even make ice into a lens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com