Said goodbye to my best friend today

Jdubs

This afternoon I said a tear-filled goodbye to my best friend, Jakey Dog.  Always a puppy, Jake gave me and later my family, 16 years filled with love and great memories.  Everyone loved Jakey, even people afraid of dogs.  You were the best dog ever!  You're in heaven now, my love, where I will see you again and give you a million more ear scratches.

Jakey passed peacefully at home in front of the fireplace (his favorite spot), surrounded by his loving "pack".  I am very thankful for Dr. Melanie from Lap of Love making the hardest decision of my life, the most compassionate experience we ever could have asked for.

Sleep in heavenly peace, Jakey Dog. 

2018-12-02 05.36.47 1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Sad 15

I would also like to thank TF and grampy for their personal messages these past two difficult months.  I truly appreciate all of your support behind the scenes, so to speak.  Also, thank you Otisco Paul for the kind words sent via pm.  This forum is filled with 'salt of the earth' type people.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

So sorry to hear.  Tears in my eyes reading this.  I am soo close to my dog, I can't even think about it. But when I go the first thing I want to see in the afterlife is a happy pup with a wagging tail running to me. And I hope the same for you.  Sorry for your loss.  

It was really tough, Rob.  Throughout the year, Jake's mobility decreased.  We tried galiprant to minimal effect in Aug/Sept.  From that point, I would pick up his back end and 'wheelbarrow' him outside to do his business several times a day.  He had already lost his bladder control by that point, but we did what we could.  About 2-3 weeks ago, he couldn't even stand on his own and I knew it was time to face the inevitable decision.  

Choosing this particular vet to come to the house for final accomodations proved to be the best way for us to honor Jake and say our goodbyes.  We all camped out in the living room last night and spoiled Jake and the other pups with treats of salmon, cheese and bacon.  It's been a tear-filled day for all of us, but Jakey is now at peace.  I know we'll meet again one day, no doubt in my mind.

• Like 5

You def did everything for him as he has given everything for you.  

Always sad to lose a dog but always great to know you were the one that got to enjoy his whole life with you. 

My last dog "Shooter" I had for 18 years and we enjoyed a steak together on the couch for his last night. 

Sorry for your loss for you and the family. 

• Thanks 1