Said goodbye to my best friend today

Jdubs

Sorry for your loss.  Your pup was blessed with a nice life with you for 16 years.  Remember the good times. Our last 2 black labs lived to be close to 16.  Did the same as you for both...had traveling vet come to house.  Fed both  boys steak/and chicken.  Even though it looked like their eyes were closed, when I held the piece of steak by the nose they opened their eyes and chomped it down.

Sure miss those family members!  God bless you and be with you.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jdubs said:

This afternoon I said a tear-filled goodbye to my best friend, Jakey Dog.  Always a puppy, Jake gave me and later my family, 16 years filled with love and great memories.  Everyone loved Jakey, even people afraid of dogs.  You were the best dog ever!  You're in heaven now, my love, where I will see you again and give you a million more ear scratches.

Jakey passed peacefully at home in front of the fireplace (his favorite spot), surrounded by his loving "pack".  I am very thankful for Dr. Melanie from Lap of Love making the hardest decision of my life, the most compassionate experience we ever could have asked for.

Sleep in heavenly peace, Jakey Dog. 

2018-12-02 05.36.47 1.jpg

Sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, halfnelson said:

Sorry for your loss.  Your pup was blessed with a nice life with you for 16 years.  Remember the good times. Our last 2 black labs lived to be close to 16.  Did the same as you for both...had traveling vet come to house.  Fed both  boys steak/and chicken.  Even though it looked like their eyes were closed, when I held the piece of steak by the nose they opened their eyes and chomped it down.

Sure miss those family members!  God bless you and be with you.

Jeff

Aw man, you know this all too well.  I'm out of likes to thank you for sharing your story, but yes, the travel vet made a huge difference.  She was awesome really.  As for hand feeding Jake his treats, I'm happy to still have 10 fingers!

47 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you had 16 years of great memories together. Very sad to lose him, but it sounds like his health and quality of life was declining. He's not suffering anymore...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Out of likes, but yes, his quality of life definitely declined.  We spent the past 4 months doing laundry 2-3 times a day after changing out his bed sheets.  He just wasn't able to get around and do his normal dog stuff.  Then in the middle of the night he'd sometimes bark or whimper if we weren't downstairs with him.  However, his appetite never waivered and his spirit was always strong.  I felt he deserved every chance to live we could give him despite the hardships.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Jdubs said:

This afternoon I said a tear-filled goodbye to my best friend, Jakey Dog.  Always a puppy, Jake gave me and later my family, 16 years filled with love and great memories.  Everyone loved Jakey, even people afraid of dogs.  You were the best dog ever!  You're in heaven now, my love, where I will see you again and give you a million more ear scratches.

Jakey passed peacefully at home in front of the fireplace (his favorite spot), surrounded by his loving "pack".  I am very thankful for Dr. Melanie from Lap of Love making the hardest decision of my life, the most compassionate experience we ever could have asked for.

Jdubs.  Sorry to hear about Jakey.  It's not a easy decision, but it's the greatest act of kindness and love one can give to a pet.  My Spud and Jakey are chasing a ball together this morning.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mowin said:

Jdubs.  Sorry to hear about Jakey.  It's not a easy decision, but it's the greatest act of kindness and love one can give to a pet.  My Spud and Jakey are chasing a ball together this morning.. 

I didn't want his last memories to be the fear and anxiety of a visit to a cold vet's office.  No offense, their facilities are not designed to mimic the comforts of a loving home.  All I can say to other pet owners is that this whole gut-wrenching process was made better by performing the service at home.  Jake was at peace most of the night and all throughout the day until the very end.

Much love and comfort to you and your family, mowin.  I also hope our dogs are both enjoying a great time in their new forever home.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Those guys that come to you home are unbelievable in a time that just plane sucks. They make a hard time managable. 

Sorry for your loss. The memories will be forever.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jdubs said:

I didn't want his last memories to be the fear and anxiety of a visit to a cold vet's office.  No offense, their facilities are not designed to mimic the comforts of a loving home.  All I can say to other pet owners is that this whole gut-wrenching process was made better by performing the service at home.  Jake was at peace most of the night and all throughout the day until the very end.

Much love and comfort to you and your family, mowin.  I also hope our dogs are both enjoying a great time in their new forever home.

I agree.  If it's available, have the vet come to your home.  So much more comfortable for all involved. Not ashamed to admit, but I cried like a baby. Sobbing at the vets in front of strangers is far from comfortable, not to mention the stress on the pet.  

• Thanks 1

Sorry to see another handsome dog go! At first glance I was thinking to myself how did you get a picture of my Hunter! Sadly we had to put him down 2 years ago just before Thanksgiving. It's never an easy thing to do, but on the bright side at least you two got 16 amazing years together! Dogs are just the best!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

673761480_2018-12-0205_36_471.thumb.jpg.52fd9d8b7ea26d0c6e1e67110fed1242.jpg
JDubs, I've clicked on this post a few times and have read all the replies, each time with a tear in my eye. I too had a yellow lab whose name was Jake. This past July we had to make the decision to put him down. Hardest thing I have had to do to end the life of my right hand man of 14 years. It sounds like your pup had similar issues as mine. Feel good that you did the right thing to end the suffering and he is in a better place. God bless.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1