What are your Land projects for 2019

I plan on some more hinge cutting really starting to see good results from the own two years ago, tweek some food plots and add a couple small plots. Also after having the 1st enclosed tower  blind this year  going to add another one really helps in the rain wind.

• Like 2

I have a considerable sized shelf half way up the hill where we hunt , my plan is to start turning it into a long food plot . It has some blow downs along the way that i can use as stopping points ,i think the blow downs will add a sense of  security for feeding deer also.

Oh lordy :

Have to prioritize, but definitely going to get myself something to disc fields with, have the soil samples, and see what we can grow.  I'd like to get something out to promote antler growth.  Our soil is pretty acid-y, but we'll see.  Need a back blade and chains for the tractor too me thinks.  

I'd love to get the road fixed, but I doubt I'll get out of that project for under 10 g's.  Need a shed to put toys in too.

Since we got on the lease late there’s  a lot. First thing is finish posting it, most likely we will do this right after the season. Put up about 6-7 ladder stands and some ground blinds. Cut some more trails. And lastly I want to put in some small clover plots. 

Edited by rob-c

I was very pressed for time last this year, with a big barn dismantle/construction project that ate up almost all of my spare time.  We are finally starting to catch up on that one.  This winter, I hope to fit in some hinge-cutting.   I also hope to get in another pond and clear some trees up near the house, over the summer, so that we can enjoy sunsets over the water from our back deck.  I am going to try and get in some more winter wheat next fall, as I have been missing that this year.  The one little plot I got in did not pan out.          

Land 1 you were reading my mind today as I was headed down to jersey for work and planned on starting a thread. Mine goals are fairly close to yours. We have a food plot in the works now for next yr so I have to see that thru.

We have another tsi project of a few acres we need to complete by this spring. I also hinge cut a section I think two yrs ago but have been somewhat disappointed with it's results thus far. My thoughts are I made it fairly in passable due to the amount of trees I hinged. My main goal was to let more sunlight into the area to increase the existing ground cover which that part is working. I walked thru it with all the snow we have had and didn't find one bed just lots of tracks so now I think I'm going to cut up some of the hinge cut to make it more passable. I feel like I made some road blocks with all the trees laying horizontal. I also want to add some more desirable plant species like dog woods and remove some of the autumn olive.

Last is building an enclosed stand next to the future plot. I'm looking for windows, a small wood stove and space to do small cooking so my son (10) can stay in it for long periods of time comfortably. Long list and little time :-(

The list is long. Expand the bedding areas. Put in some kill plots. Plant a plot for turkey's. Strategize the way the farmer plants crops, corn this year but I'm gonna have him put some soy in as well. Knock out some small areas back in the woods and do some plots for different wind directions. Pull some more logs out from the logging in 17' before they rot. Build an enclosure for the tractor and SxS. Plant another 100 pines and mix in some more oaks and black walnuts ( same as last 3 years ). Also try and transplant some redbrush and multiflora rose cause you can't get the seeds / invasive species. I'm sure there's more once I get to it....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Started with one food plot two years ago and added two more this summer in the big woods. We are surprisingly lucky to have decent soil. We planted oats and rye the first year and some mixes this year and the deer loved them. Will Add more in some log landings in 2019 as we are also continuing to log this winter. We have 0 oaks where we are and the beech crop was not stellar. These are not large plots but we hope to attract and hold more deer.  Unfortunately, we hunt in a very lightly populated area.

Regrade my logging roads, expand one plot, create a new 20 tree orchard to go with my newly found wild pear tree.  Make a small wetland, tile a field, hinge cut 20 acres, create a barrier from felled trees along road for visual protection, plant evergreens in same area to further screen.  Drop 5 acres of Aspen so they will root sprout and make better grouse and deer browse area... 

• Like 2

It's only work if you don't enjoy it. Hell I wait for the minute i can disconnect from real work to work the land I own. As Nick Saban would say "enjoy the process". 

Going to flip an annual food plot into clover or a mix with chicory. Clear a 30 yard by 200 yard strip and start making amendments. Hopefully just taking care of and not replacing the pear and apple trees planted this Spring. Contact a very helpful and honest member of this forum for more fruit trees and add some pines for future Christmas trees. 

That and I can't think of how many other things I would like to do (hopefully a week with an excavator). My brother and I are working our asses off to make an amazing cabin and getaway for family, friends and loved ones for decades to come it's not all about hunting. I also sincerely look forward to more post on this subject in spring to further my small knowledge of these particular subects.

If time and life lets me, Id like to finish clearing a ridge top i have. Its mostly dead or dying young ash with maple and cherry mixed.. Clear it out for the most part and make it a hard mast ridge. White oak and chestnuts preferably. Probably seed it with a clover blend as well until everything begins to regrow naturally. Then let it go, Id like to hinge cut a bunch as well as cut down a bunch of poplar trees and let them lay for cover and browse. These woods are almost see through.. Get a few permanent screens up, use some tree tops to edge in places. 

Feather edge my big plot, its a hillside that comes down to the plot.. very open 

Too much to do, too much to type lol 

Edited by LET EM GROW

Not all tasks are specific to hunting but to herd management and help. Holding and growing mature bucks is a passion and Def requires more than go out, sit down and shoot. Consistently having mature bucks around is worth all the extra "work"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My cousin has 40 acres, about 30 of which are wooded and it needs a food plot or two. Been seeing and hearing some turkey during deer season.

Lots of pressure there during gun in 3 different directions so it will need to be hunted differently. Neighbors I can tell are aggressive and free shooters unfortunately. Stands need to be moved and facing different directions...

Deer are very very smart there which I am not used to... My main spot is 5 acres in the suburbs where human foot scent and noises are more natural and deer don't spook very easily..

I have a bunch of them on the list for this year.

1 - dig ditches to drain main tractor trail

2 - fix trail

3 - expand the larger of the two food plots

4 - add more shooting lanes for the tower stand

5 - hinge cut/feather the edges of both food plots

6 - plant apple trees

If I can complete those, I will be happy.

• Like 1