New Deer Dropper

DanD

I'm starting to play with the idea of getting a new deer dropper. Wife is due with kid #2 in July, and I figure if I don't do this now I'll never do it. Right now I primarily carry a Browning X-Bolt in 7mm-08 and a savage 220 during deer season. I also have another X-Bolt in 30-06, Marlin 1895SBL in 45-70,  Remington 870 SPS SuperSlug 12Ga, and a CVA Accura V2. I feel like i have all my bases covered pretty well, but that empty slot in my gun case is really bothering me. Thinking of getting something my son could carry when he comes of age. Maybe a Winchester Model 70 in .243; however, I've had my eye on a 25-06 for the longest time. 

Always appreciate the thoughts/feedback from the group.

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

To me the 243 would be redundant since you have the 7mm-08. What I don't see in the line up is a good learning rifle like a very nice 22

Fair comment; however, my dad has a savage .22 that he has promised to my son when he get a little older :) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rattler said:

Maybe the youth needs a shotgun rather than a rifle.

No small game or duck hunting done?

Negative. If we do turkey/small game hunting, I borrow the old mans Remington Wingmaster. 

i'd go with a varmint caliber like 223 then. you can shoot woodchucks in the summer or coyotes.  easy to get permission to shoot woodchucks and targets are plentiful if they're there. good practice and fun for your son too. ammo is cheaper and prevalent. i'd even get an AR with a pinned mag. you could still shoot deer with the right bullet at close range if you wanted to, despite much better options.

25.06 is next on the line up here. We have several 243.. Great versatile rounds, slings a light bullet wicked fast and can also sling a heavier better b.c. bullet well too. But if i owned what you have, id go a little smaller like a 204, 220swift, 222, 223, 22.250. all very fun guns to shoot..   

48 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have been wanting a 220 swift after a member here that I trust told me that his younger grandkids use it for deer and they always drop in sight.  Might be a good caliber for Natalie when she is old enough.

Get Natalie a 7mm-08 and we can load reduced recoil rounds that will be pussycats until she gets her confidence up.  

• Like 4

I'm starting to play with the idea of getting a new deer dropper. Wife is due with kid #2 in July, and I figure if I don't do this now I'll never do it. Right now I primarily carry a Browning X-Bolt in 7mm-08 and a savage 220 during deer season. I also have another X-Bolt in 30-06, Marlin 1895SBL in 45-70,  Remington 870 SPS SuperSlug 12Ga, and a CVA Accura V2. I feel like i have all my bases covered pretty well, but that empty slot in my gun case is really bothering me. Thinking of getting something my son could carry when he comes of age. Maybe a Winchester Model 70 in .243; however, I've had my eye on a 25-06 for the longest time. 
Always appreciate the thoughts/feedback from the group.

Get a marlin 30/30 great first deer gun for the kid. I stashed mine away and it’s going to be my sons first deer rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/7/2018 at 6:39 PM, chefhunter86 said:

Get a marlin 30/30 great first deer gun for the kid. I stashed mine away and it’s going to be my sons first deer rifle.

My grandfather has a Marlin 336 with a peep.  I have been thinking of getting one, since I'm trying to do more walking. (I wouldn't call what I do tracking or still hunting) It would be hard to go back to open sights at this point.  I will have to give that some thought.  My pick would be a Marlin 30/30 too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 6:39 PM, chefhunter86 said:

Awesome choice. I like 35 Remington myself, as it is more powerful and better for bigger black bear (peace of mind) but 30/30 is just as awesome. No round has killed more whitetail. Marlington quality control is much improved, i will be getting one soon.