Good rifle for daughter

My daughter told me she wants to gun hunt next year with me.  So i said ok but realized i dont have a decent caliber rifle for her.  I do have a mossberg 500 but she has a hard time holding it.  My single shot in 30-06 fits perfec but it does kick for her.  She can handle some kick she shoots my single shot 20 with 6 shot all day.  So what are your thoughts leaning towards .270,.243,7mm-08.  Dont have deep pockets so looking either another h&r handi rifle, savage axis,mossberg patriot or used one if one pops up.  Thoughts?

Voting for a Savage (several inexpensive models to choose from with accu-triggers) chambered in 7mm-08.

I have several Savages and they are all shooters. My wife has a Ruger American in 7mm-08 and I can say the deer don't like it one bit. The last two she shot dropped in place, but I'm just partial to Savages.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

7 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

don't laugh but I still say  a 30-30 is your best bet very lite, very lite recoil andeasy to use BUT have to get use to using the hammer especially w/ a scope on it.

Dont dissagree. But she is not the most cordinated person so i can see her struggle with a lever action some how.  But maybe.  Im deff liking everything ive read on the 7mm-08.  Just never seen one in action no one i use hunts with one.  Told my wife i might have to let a synthetic into my gun cabinet so she has a light enough gun.(nothing wrong with them i personally dont like the looks)

Just got done talking to her.  She asked me why not a single shot.  I told her most people like having the ability for a quick 2nd shot if needed. She replied with i guess i need to choose a good shot.  So i will show her every option but looking like single shot will be the way.  

Mine used a 20 ga 870 . Then I bought her. savage 7mm08 . Sweet gun and round .

I shot a buck with her gun last year and a coyote.

This year I have my own Savage 7mm08 .shot a buck and a doe. Of those three deer, each one dropped in its tracks,  not even a death run . Bang ,Flop .

Great round , easy to handle recoil .

Im sure there are others , but I’ve no need to look for them .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Voting for a Savage (several inexpensive models to choose from with accu-triggers) chambered in 7mm-08.

I have several Savages and they are all shooters. My wife has a Ruger American in 7mm-08 and I can say the deer don't like it one bit. The last two she shot dropped in place, but I'm just partial to Savages.

I second a 7-08, bought my wife a Weatherby Camilla in said caliber and she has no problem with the recoil. 

I had at first bought her a marlin 30-30 and she had no problem with it, except it was heavy for her to hold and aim.

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Going to keep looking but if i can find one this may be our winner.

Screenshot_20181204-180928.png

That's probably going to kick like a mule. The stock geometry is not good for recoil and a rifle can be too light for similar reasons.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/axis/axis-ii-xp

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/trophy/11-trophy-hunter-xp-compact

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/trophy/11-trophy-hunter-xp-compact-muddy-girl

Edited by wildcat junkie

23 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Savage axis 7mm 08 with reduced recoil loads.  Good optics and game on.  Going to be my set up next year   My and daughters rifle to share.  

You can easily load the 7mm-08 down to. 243 recoil levels but you can't load a 243 up to 7mm-08 potential.

• Like 1

I have a Savage Axis, in 7mm-08 that is now my grandson's rifle. It has killed three different bucks. Combined distance traveled, by those bucks after being shot....0. 

Very little recoil. Swapped out the glass for Leupold. New trigger spring made it 3.4 lbs. pull. My 14 year old can shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards all day long. It's light and easy to hold too. What's not to love about the Axis?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I got a Savage Axis in 7-08 for my daughter, she loves it and shoots it very well.

26 minutes ago, grampy said:

I have a Savage Axis, in 7mm-08 that is now my grandson's rifle. It has killed three different bucks. Combined distance traveled, by those bucks after being shot....0. 

Very little recoil. Swapped out the glass for Leupold. New trigger spring made it 3.4 lbs. pull. My 14 year old can shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards all day long. It's light and easy to hold too. What's not to love about the Axis?

IMO, the introduction of the former wildcat 7mm-08 as a factory chambering has made the .243 a moot point.

Even with standard 140 gr factory loads, the recoil is not appreciably more than the .243. With 120 gr reduced recoil loads it will recol about the same as .243 100 gr offerings with "room to grow".

Yes the .243 is "adequate" for deer sized game, but it has little room for error. Especially if shot angle becomes a factor.

• Like 1