ODYSSEUS

5 MONTH PHEASANT SEASON- LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!

Yeah-- 5 solid Months for Pheasants in my area. My fav time is after rifle deer ends to the end of February. Less Pheasant hunters will be out and nice cold temps. No Ticks to worry about. Less Pheasant releases- but make no mistake, they are still out there. By this time many learn to run rather then fly.  Plenty of Pheasants will make it to the Spring as well. I see and hear them while out for Spring Scouting in April.  

• Like 2

The only issue I have with pheasant hunting is the money spent raising birds to release for about 50k hunters.. raise pheasants release them dont allow hunting when population is sustainable allow hunting.. put and take.. if you want birds that way go to a preserve and pay for them yourself.. jmo

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

8 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

No disrespect to the author above-- but, I totally disagree with what he wrote-- 100 percent as would thousands of hardcore Pheasant hunters in NY!

What's your opinion on the fall wild turkey take changed to one bird? If you look at it from a conservation standpoint g man makes sense. Even financially it would be beneficial if the population rebounded and less restocking is required.

Have been more of a small game hunter myself but yet along with my small game tags I always purchased a turkey permit, big game tag with a muzzleloader stamp and a fishing license even though I do not spend much time participating in the latter in recent years. I still do it to support our DEC and it's efforts to maintain the outdoor sports for our state's sportsmen. The Pheasant release program is about the only thing the DEC does for the small game community and one of the types of hunting I like doing best. Pisses me off when I see posts like the ones above. Screw the pheasant hunters "I don't do it so don't spend a penny on it!" With all the greedy Deer hunters out of the woods maybe I can get out a few days to enjoy myself with out having to worry about screwing up someone's Deer hunt or some moron shooting one of my dogs.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

I'd like to see DEC raise chukar or quail with some of that pheasant money. Based on the pricing at preserves, it would seem they could raise more birds with less dollars.

• Like 1

Plenty of older hunters would give up hunting altogether if the DEC did not have this really good Pheasant release program.  ALOT of money is coming in! One of the most exciting sights in Hunting is watching your Pheasant dog work Afield. 2 hours feel like 30 minutes!  

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Have been more of a small game hunter myself but yet along with my small game tags I always purchased a turkey permit, big game tag with a muzzleloader stamp and a fishing license even though I do not spend much time participating in the latter in recent years. I still do it to support our DEC and it's efforts to maintain the outdoor sports for our state's sportsmen. The Pheasant release program is about the only thing the DEC does for the small game community and one of the types of hunting I like doing best. Pisses me off when I see posts like the ones above. Screw the pheasant hunters "I don't do it so don't spend a penny on it!" With all the greedy Deer hunters out of the woods maybe I can get out a few days to enjoy myself with out having to worry about screwing up someone's Deer hunt or some moron shooting one of my dogs.

Al

I never said I didnt do it ,I have raised and released pheasants and manipulated habitat here and birds have over wintered I want a sustainable population ,not a put and take. I do not hunt put and take birds but I hunt birds that are here . They are not native and one has to question a put and take that only cost dec money and personnel.  It's the main reason I do not join pheasants forever. There is no plan to make a sustainable natural population. The nwtf  trapped relocated birds with no hunting until population reached a level to allow hunting.  The question should be why are we wasting money every year raising and placing birds instead of working habitat to create a vaiable naturally reproducing population.. some birds make it when stocked. So why not stoc one area close it for hunting and the following year open that area and close another for stocking.. it makes me sick seeing people lined up right behind the release vehicles hitting the field enmass...  maybe my ethics are different than yours but I do not look at that as hunting

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, G-Man said:

it makes me sick seeing people lined up right behind the release vehicles hitting the field enmass... 

As far as insinuating what my ethics are you don't know me so stuff it! I have not even been hunting Pheasants yet but I can say I have never been  hunting right behind release vehicles and would not if I could, besides that is not the way they release them around here, as far as I know most are put out well before season even opens, the typical Deer hunter's whining excuses.

With your  philosophy if someone  fishes for Bass they should see no reason to be wasting money on a Salmon hatchery that stocks fish that do not reproduce naturally or Walleyes that are eaten by Cormorants as soon as they are put in the lake.

My License money is just as good as your pal!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

G-Man-- is again wrong and amiss as far as writing about (ethics) and the DEC wasting money on raising Pheasants and releasing them. This is money well spent!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

it makes me sick seeing people lined up right behind the release vehicles

I couldn’t agree more. Down here on LI, guys will literally drive to where they load up the pheasants. If the truck isn’t there they know that it’s out stocking. They basically stock the same fields under the same brush. I also know some people that get a call the night of the stocking and they will literally camp out at the check station. I always love when they brag about their dogs and I just tell them mine would look like a Master Hunter if I knew where the birds were planted also. 

Edited by bruno1
Misspelled word

A really good Plus about most Pheasant Hunters happens when a Pheasant Hunter is seen Hunting without a Dog.  He is often invited to hunt with a Pheasant Hunter who does have a dog. Strangers becomes friends before that Pheasant hunt is over. I have been on both sides of this. This past Oct, I invited Ralph-70 from NJ to hunt with ABBEY,Chris, and me. He connected on a Rooster .

3 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

G-Man-- is again wrong and amiss as far as writing about (ethics) and the DEC wasting money on raising Pheasants and releasing them. This is money well spent!! 

The cost of the dec raising a bird is 2x what game frames raise them for,I know the numbers am active in several sportsman groups ,they wanted to close reynold game farm and white ( that raise the birds because it was so expensive) the sportsman fought against it ..so I do know its wasting money. A better plan as I stated would be to work habitat and then release birds when sustainable numbers are reached then open it to hunting. Perhaps a 1 bird a day limit

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

A really good Plus about most Pheasant Hunters happens when a Pheasant Hunter is seen Hunting without a Dog.  He is often invited to hunt with a Pheasant Hunter who does have a dog. Strangers becomes friends before that Pheasant hunt is over. I have been on both sides of this. This past Oct, I invited Ralph-70 from NJ to hunt with ABBEY,Chris, and me. He connected on a Rooster .

I have hunted birds without a dog.my whole life , always fun to see the look on a hunters face as they hold their dogs and ask where my.dog is..as I'm carrying out my.birds. the question next asked is how do you get them without a dog.. answer hunt!!

4 hours ago, airedale said:

As far as insinuating what my ethics are you don't know me so stuff it! I have not even been hunting Pheasants yet but I can say I have never been  hunting right behind release vehicles and would not if I could, besides that is not the way they release them around here, as far as I know most are put out well before season even opens, the typical Deer hunter's whining excuses.

With your  philosophy if someone  fishes for Bass they should see no reason to be wasting money on a Salmon hatchery that stocks fish that do not reproduce naturally or Walleyes that are eaten by Cormorants as soon as they are put in the lake.

My License money is just as good as your pal!

Al

I dont think we should be wasting money on stocking unless its provide a start for natural propagation. If it means cutting back on limits so be it.. my licence money is going for programs I dont believe in so I am paying for things I don't agree with. If you upset with my opinion so be it I dont agree with the program and gave my reasons why. As for realeases they are posted and at most a day or two before season opener and then stocked during season again. Same as the trout releases.. people follow those trucks like seagulls behind a kid carrying fries on a beach

That was not the point about what, I wrote about helping out another Pheasant Hunter. You are just being boastful. You need to reflect more before posting a reply.

7 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

That was not the point about what, I wrote about helping out another Pheasant Hunter. You are just being boastful. You need to reflect more before posting a reply.

I was posting how I thought it was funny they think you cant get one without a dog. That's all. I have had people ask if I want to join them I tend to decline more than not. 

• Like 1

Anyway-- there are plenty of Hunters who enjoy Pheasant Hunting. Many of them don't hunt anything else like my good friend Chris. The DEC Pheasant release program is needed.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

I dont think we should be wasting money on stocking unless its provide a start for natural propagation. If it means cutting back on limits so be it.. my licence money is going for programs I dont believe in so I am paying for things I don't agree with. If you upset with my opinion so be it I dont agree with the program and gave my reasons why. As for realeases they are posted and at most a day or two before season opener and then stocked during season again. Same as the trout releases.. people follow those trucks like seagulls behind a kid carrying fries on a beach

There will never be enough money to make natural reproduction viable in NY ever again, just not feasible. Farming practices are non existent that spawned that habitat years ago.

Even the ending of CRP contracts in the huge ranges of the central plains has hurt the "natural" reproduction and hunting in many tracts that just years ago were productive for birds.

Why did I quote "natural"; cause none of them are native to North America anyway and they are all introduced.

• Like 1

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.