ODYSSEUS

5 MONTH PHEASANT SEASON- LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!

2 years ago, a friend kept inviting me to go pheasant hunting with him. I really had little desire to go, since I knew they had been released. It was something that my friend really enjoyed doing and I felt bad making up excuses not to go, so I eventually agreed to go with him. As we watched his dog intently working this one spot, my friend said that the way his dog was acting, he knew there was a bird in there. I took a few steps and saw the rooster step out of a patch of weeds. It paced a few steps to the left, then a few steps back to the right, then left, then right and kept doing that, like it had no idea what to do. I watched the dog walk up to the rooster, gently pick it up in his mouth, and carried it back to my friend! I unloaded my gun and that was the last time I went pheasant hunting...

I got permission to hunt a new property this year. I know pheasants are released a couple of roads over. On 3 different occasions this fall, I had to drive around pheasants that were standing in the road at this property, because they wouldn't move. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

Pic of BEN. Circa 2002 at Stewart State Forest with a Hen Pheasant, I shot not  long after a DEC Pheasant release .

Look-- the Pheasants, I hunt at Sterling Forest State Park and Stewart State Forest take to the sky like Rockets.  

6 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

There will never be enough money to make natural reproduction viable in NY ever again, just not feasible. Farming practices are non existent that spawned that habitat years ago.

Even the ending of CRP contracts in the huge ranges of the central plains has hurt the "natural" reproduction and hunting in many tracts that just years ago were productive for birds.

Why did I quote "natural"; cause none of them are native to North America anyway and they are all introduced.

Exactly so we are simply put and taking.. may as well go to grocery store or buy raised birds at half the cost of dec raising them.

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

I think pheasant hunters should have to pay a separate license just like waterfowl. I also think salmon and trout fisherman should have to pay for a separate license.

I have hunted pheasant a few times when they released them down the road one year shot a couple with a shotgun and a couple with my bow. Pretty boring don’t have any desire to do it again. Would rather chase bunnies or crow hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

I never said I didnt do it ,I have raised and released pheasants and manipulated habitat here and birds have over wintered I want a sustainable population ,not a put and take. I do not hunt put and take birds but I hunt birds that are here . They are not native and one has to question a put and take that only cost dec money and personnel.  It's the main reason I do not join pheasants forever. There is no plan to make a sustainable natural population. The nwtf  trapped relocated birds with no hunting until population reached a level to allow hunting.  The question should be why are we wasting money every year raising and placing birds instead of working habitat to create a vaiable naturally reproducing population.. some birds make it when stocked. So why not stoc one area close it for hunting and the following year open that area and close another for stocking.. it makes me sick seeing people lined up right behind the release vehicles hitting the field enmass...  maybe my ethics are different than yours but I do not look at that as hunting

Plus its a massive waste of cash just to feed the local vermin. Birds cant survive and rear their own then they really are useless.  Money be well spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Plus its a massive waste of cash just to feed the local vermin. Birds cant survive and rear their own then they really are useless.  Money be well spent elsewhere.

You are in the breeding business for deer right . Why cant someone  breed them to be more resistant to surviving in north America.   Maybe some of the money should be spent on research to breed better more adaptable birds .

You know this Thread while originally a very positive one- also comes at the Tail-end of Rifle Deer Season. It becomes more obvious to me after reading the many replys that some want that Money that has been earmarked for raising and releasing Pheasants in NY to be put elsewhere . More to the Point- money that somehow will improve the State Deer herd and deer habitat. Storms good reply to fourseasonwhitetails is very telling. -- Breeding Buisness for deer??!      Look--   The most important thing is bringing more YOUTHS to the Hunting scene. And Youth hunting weekend for DEC reared and released Pheasants will do that with many more outings after that.  A past President of a gun club, I was in said it best-- THE AVERAGE AGE OF OUR MEMBERS IS DEATH!  I was probably one of the youngest at that meeting-- Early 30s at the time.       You can't start to compare the success of the Wild Turkey comeback to the same thing possibly happening to Pheasants. I have seen Flocks of Turkeys fly up together at Dusk like many here. I have never seen a flock of Pheasants fly up together at Dusk. -- Follow--  Just one of the reasons that Wild Turkeys have been so successful is the fact that Turkeys Roost in Trees. Pheasants Don't most of the time even though they also have a (Limb Toe). Put simply- that rear Toe wraps around a Limb and when the bird settles down and lowers itself-  the Locking Tendon does just that- like a parking brake.    Point being is the DEC  Pheasant rearing and release program is vitally needed. 

• Like 1

i think a better plan for coyotes from DEC would prob help the Pheasant and Turkey population more than increasing stocking.  Maybe get those numbers under control and then increase stocking.  

• Like 3

"There are many different types of activities in the hunting, fishing and trapping sports realm that are not my cup of tea. Stuff I do not care for or like?, my solution is to just not participate and I leave it at that, if one does not care for pheasant hunting "don't do it". If one does not like hunting over a planted field of Deer attracting feed, don't do it" if one does not like fishing for fish that have been hatchery reared and stocked "don't do it", if one does not care for shooting man reared big horned buck in a pen and pay massive money to do so, "don't do it". Even though I purchase most all of the available tags and stamps for hunting to support all hunting and fishing, I just participate and enjoy the types of hunting I like and mind my own business instead of sticking it to those participating in the stuff I do not care for so long as it is legal. When it comes to firearms, hunting, trapping and fishing I do my best to defend it all.

• Like 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

You are in the breeding business for deer right . Why cant someone  breed them to be more resistant to surviving in north America.   Maybe some of the money should be spent on research to breed better more adaptable birds .

I don't believe the bird was/is ever the problem. Loss of habitat and way to many different kinds of Vermin. Hell your lucky to find any kind of small game In many areas. I know there are all but none on our lands on either end of the state.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, airedale said:

"There are many different types of activities in the hunting, fishing and trapping sports realm that are not my cup of tea. Stuff I do not care for or like?, my solution is to just not participate and I leave it at that, if one does not care for pheasant hunting "don't do it". If one does not like hunting over a planted field of Deer attracting feed, don't do it" if one does not like fishing for fish that have been hatchery reared and stocked "don't do it", if one does not care for shooting man reared big horned buck in a pen and pay massive money to do so, "don't do it". Even though I purchase most all of the available tags and stamps for hunting to support all hunting and fishing, I just participate and enjoy the types of hunting I like and mind my own business instead of sticking it to those participating in the stuff I do not care for so long as it is legal. When it comes to firearms, hunting, trapping and fishing I do my best to defend it all.

well said! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

2 years ago, a friend kept inviting me to go pheasant hunting with him. I really had little desire to go, since I knew they had been released. It was something that my friend really enjoyed doing and I felt bad making up excuses not to go, so I eventually agreed to go with him. As we watched his dog intently working this one spot, my friend said that the way his dog was acting, he knew there was a bird in there. I took a few steps and saw the rooster step out of a patch of weeds. It paced a few steps to the left, then a few steps back to the right, then left, then right and kept doing that, like it had no idea what to do. I watched the dog walk up to the rooster, gently pick it up in his mouth, and carried it back to my friend! I unloaded my gun and that was the last time I went pheasant hunting...

I got permission to hunt a new property this year. I know pheasants are released a couple of roads over. On 3 different occasions this fall, I had to drive around pheasants that were standing in the road at this property, because they wouldn't move. 

they release pheasants right down the road from my house at verona beach park - across the road.  And every year i drive thru there and people are out hunting and Pheasants are in the ditch by the road.  The other day there were 3 in there and 4 cars of hunters parked behind them. lol 

I’m sure the pheasant hunting population is geographical but I work in a prison with 500 employees and have never heard anyone bring up pheasant hunting, nor do I know if anyone outside of work that hunts them. I’m curious what the numbers are statewide on pheasant hunters. I’m also curious what the cost per bird is. If there is a 25k pheasant hunters in NY and the state spends a million bucks a year on pheasants it’s obviously not a good investment.

Unfortunately Gman I don’t think closing areas for a year or two would help because there still would be very few birds due to predation.

I have hunted Verona Beach many times and driving down Poppleton Rd I have seen Pheasants on the side of the road, but they can not be shot there. The hunting grounds itself is full of swamp and thick with brush with some brush hogged trails winding through the place. Many years ago before some of the area was let go to seed the ground had been plowed making for some of the toughest uneven walking I have ever been in. Finding and getting a shot at a Pheasant is not easy even with a good dog. The last few times I hunted in there I did not even see a Pheasant, took a couple of Grouse and Woodcock. I was not alone, the sign in log showed hunters only took a handful birds the weeks previous. The notion that they can be shot like chickens in a pen is not true for that place guaranteed!

Last time I was there as I was putting my gear in the truck getting ready to leave the parking area I met a fellow that drove all the way from Rochester to hunt there.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have hunted Verona Beach many times and driving down Poppleton Rd I have seen Pheasants on the side of the road, but they can not be shot there. The hunting grounds itself is full of swamp and thick with brush with some brush hogged trails winding through the place. Finding and getting a shot at a Pheasant is not easy even with a good dog. The last few times I hunted in there I did not even see a Pheasant, took a couple of Grouse and Woodcock. I was not alone, the sign in log showed hunters only took a handful birds the weeks previous. The notion that they can be shot like chickens in a pen is not true for that place guaranteed!

Last time I was there as I was putting my gear in the truck getting ready to leave the parking area I met a fellow that drove all the way from Rochester to hunt there.

Al

ever hike thru there in the summer?  never have seen more snakes in my life - they are everywhere.  Anywhere near those ponds is freaky!  

I bow hunted there a couple of times.  Saw a pic of a nice 10 point taken there this year

never pheasant hunted there.   Thought about it but always someone around and the horse riders have sure increased as well.  

25 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

ever hike thru there in the summer?

I stay out of there during warm weather because of the tick hoards, every time I went in there when it was warm both me and my dog came out covered with the sobs.

Edited by airedale

Member above wanted to know if there are even 25 Thousand Pheasant Hunting gets in NY. Take a drive down to Stewart State Forest after rifle deer season and have fun ,(trying) to find a parking area on the weekend!  What is more exciting for a Youth? Hunting behind a Good dog hot on a scent and a cackling Rooster Pheasant exploding upwards or Freezing his ass off in a Treestand . It is the Deer hunters that want that Money earmarked for Pheasant rearing and releasing . Totally Selfish!

Member above wanted to know if there are even 25 Thousand Pheasant Hunting gets in NY. Take a drive down to Stewart State Forest after rifle deer season and have fun ,(trying) to find a parking area on the weekend!  What is more exciting for a Youth? Hunting behind a Good dog hot on a scent and a cackling Rooster Pheasant exploding upwards or Freezing his ass off in a Treestand . It is the Deer hunters that want that Money earmarked for Pheasant rearing and releasing . Totally Selfish!

Using one areas participation to validate the whole state is ignorant. It has nothing to do with being a deer hunter I’m just curious if there is a return on investment? It’s my tax and license money going into it just as it is yours.

• Like 1

There are plenty of small game, Pheasant hunters, the season is long so you dont see them in mass most the time like during deer season .  In most the public lands around me small game is the only game you have a chance of even taking a shot at something,  try hunting a deer in most those places you may go a week before you even spot one .

• Like 1

There are plenty of small game, Pheasant hunters, the season is long so you dont see them in mass most the time like during deer season .  In most the public lands around me small game is the only game you have a chance of even taking a shot at something,  try hunting a deer in most those places you may go a week before you even spot one .

Maybe the state should start raising and releasing deer to make it easier for you?

• Haha 1

Dude- my hard-earned money is spent as well. If you don't want to Pheasant hunt-- don't do it. And if you want to Belly Crawl in May up to a field edge to sneak up on a TOM-- well that is ignorant.

24 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

There are approximately 50k hunters that phesant hunt. The money spend is wasted as the state is inefficient at raising the birds to the tune of 2x what a commercial operation does. Nys could of been buying 2x the amount of birds for the same money from pennslyavania,  which was brought up several years ago, the conservation council fought against it using the logic if we get rid of out game farms (they did close white and only Reynolds is left which employs 3 peope full time and 7 or so parttime workers) eventually we would just stop stocking birds..

as I originally stated in my 1st reply here it's my opinion everyone is entitled to one. 

• Like 2

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Maybe the state should start raising and releasing deer to make it easier for you?

Na I just drive to a better location farther from me  that's all .

• Like 1